Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonding baby rabbits

Default Bonding baby rabbits

Hi, Iím looking for some help, I purchased two rabbits but unfortunately one died as it was the runt and very small, the vet told us that we needed to get another rabbit or the other one would be lonely and stressed, we purchased another rabbit, they are both between 9-12 weeks old, too young to neuter, Iím hoping to bond them quickly as we only have one outdoor hutch, we have an indoor cage but with the heat at the moment Iíd rather them out doors.
    Can you offer any advice.
    I have the original rabbit in the hutch and the new one in the run, they are next to each other separated by chicken wire, we are on 4 hours now since they both met.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackeluk View Post
    Hi, I’m looking for some help, I purchased two rabbits but unfortunately one died as it was the runt and very small, the vet told us that we needed to get another rabbit or the other one would be lonely and stressed, we purchased another rabbit, they are both between 9-12 weeks old, too young to neuter, I’m hoping to bond them quickly as we only have one outdoor hutch, we have an indoor cage but with the heat at the moment I’d rather them out doors.
    Can you offer any advice.
    I have the original rabbit in the hutch and the new one in the run, they are next to each other separated by chicken wire, we are on 4 hours now since they both met.
    Hello

I am sorry for your loss. Do you know the exact cause of death ? Was he/she vaccinated ? Any prior symptoms such as diarrhoea ? There are some infectious and potentially serious illnesses that Rabbits can succumb too, babies in particular to Intestinal Coccidiosis.

I would want to quarantine your remaining Rabbit for at least 2 weeks prior to trying to introduce another Rabbit.

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Hello

I am sorry for your loss. Do you know the exact cause of death ? Was he/she vaccinated ? Any prior symptoms such as diarrhoea ? There are some infectious and potentially serious illnesses that Rabbits can succumb too, babies in particular to Intestinal Coccidiosis.

I would want to quarantine your remaining Rabbit for at least 2 weeks prior to trying to introduce another Rabbit.
    The vet told us that as the rabbit was the runt of the litter he didnít get what he needed from his Mum, he was very small and very lethargic, we only had him a week, the vet checked him over and couldnít find anything alarming.
    Our other rabbit seems very healthy, very bouncy. Our new rabbit is extremely friendly and will hop around the garden then come over to you for a cuddle.
    Iíve put the new rabbit in the indoor cage for now so that our other rabbit can use the rabbit run.

One suggestion was to swap them over each day so to house the other one in the indoor cage whilst the other one is in the house then vice versa so the scent goes down

Hi and welcome Sorry you lost one of your rabbits. What gender are your current buns? If one is male, he can be neutered as soon as his testicles descend so depending on his weight/your vets he could be done as early as 12 weeks. He will remain fertile however for 6-8 weeks following the op so any bonding can't take place until after that. They should've both had their vaccinations by now, 1 vaccine which covers Myxomatosis & RHD1 and a second vaccine which covers RHD2. There is a new vaccine recently released which covers all 3 but your vet may not have the stock yet.

I wouldn't swop their accommodation since one is outdoors and one indoors, but to swop scents you could swop toys around between the two. When both have recovered from neutering and can be bonded it's best to do it in a small, neutral space. So somewhere neither rabbit has been before. Behaviours such as chasing, humping, nipping and fur pulling can be normal and it's best to not intervene unless there looks to be a fight, in which case make sure you have thick gloves to separate them to protect your hands! Put a big pile of fresh hay and any food they like such as herbs/forage as a distraction. I tend to go by after 24 hours of good behaviour (lied down, eating, grooming) I gradually increase the space. A big change can cause a setback. Best of luck!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Hi, one of the rabbits is 10 weeks old and the new one is 12 weeks, I thought they were too young to be neutered.
    Iíve swapped the toys around, Iím going to do the same tomorrow and see how that goes, they lay next to each other but with chicken wire separating them

The RWAF recommend 10-12 weeks for males, and 16-20 weeks for females to be neutered It's good they seem comfortable around eachother

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...cal/neutering/

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

My partner let them both run round the garden together, they didn’t bother with each other at first then they started crashing each other and there was some hair pulling, we separated them immediately.
    I’ll ring the vets and book them in for neutering, I know it takes time to recover so I won’t try to house them together till they’ve recovered.

Wise Old Thumper

I would make sure you know what sex they are then you can decide on when they can be neutered. If they fight before neutering this could make it more difficult to bond them so I would keep them separate for now.

Are they both boys? They should heal fairly quickly and obviously then can't breed so don't need the full 6 weeks Boy bonds can be a bit more tricky then the standard male/female pair so keep an eye for fighting at any stage.