• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit weight

sadly when my rabbit was a baby I didn't give him alfalfa hay, I gave him first alfalfa pellets with mint and hay bedding they can eat, and then that mixed with timothy, my rabbit doesn't look underweight but his shoulderblades, ribs and talebone? idk but the 2 bone near the end of its back is quite sharp so im guessing hes underweight, how much pellets should I give him everyday to help him gain weight

You will need to get him eating more hay a I've mentioned on your other threads, this will be good for his teeth too as well as his general health and weight. I would get the vet to check him over for his teeth and the vet can advise on his weight, has he been vaccinated ?

A healthy diet consists of about 1 tbsp pellets, a small amount of herbs or veg, and a large amount of hay. If a rabbit is not doing good with this regime then he may have an underlying health problem in which case he needs to go to the Vet to be examined.

I cant afford to vaccinate him so he lives indoors, I don't keep my shoes on in my room and I try not to open my windows.. its too much to vaccine once or more a year

I cant afford to vaccinate him so he lives indoors, I don't keep my shoes on in my room and I try not to open my windows.. its too much to vaccine once or more a year

House rabbits need vaccinating just as much as outdoor rabbits. Sadly they are just as likely to get Illnesses and diseases. When you take on an animal it is necessary to ensure you can pay for the veterinary care and injections they need. Vets bills can run into thousands of pounds so it’s advisable to have insurance.

yes I live in the uk
Then currently there's two different vaccinations per year which are essential for your rabbit to have. There's recently been a combined vaccination made where it is possible for your rabbit just to have one vaccination which protects them against myxomatosis, rhd1 and rhd2. Not all vets will have this yet, I suggest you call your vet and ask what they have available. It's extremely important though that your rabbit is fully vaccinated whether they have the 2 separate vaccinations or the new combined one that covers all 3. Prices will vary too, so ringing your vets and asking will be the best way to find out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

is vaccinating considered essential in this pandemic..

Most Vets have re-started the vaccinating of Pets now. Vaccinations are essential, but in the initial stages of the Covid 19 Pandemic the Veterinary Professional Guidance Body ruled that only emergency Veterinary Care could be carried out. This did not include things like neutering or vaccinating. But as I have said, this has now changed and most Vets have at least started Vaccinations again, if not routine neutering.

Back