• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing cage bars

my rabbit merlin has a cage that is about the size of 4 relatively hutches (like 5 feet by 8 feet or something)he has toys, a huge blanket to run on and play mats to run on, a hutch as a hideyhouse, which contains a metal tray I keep empty as a cool space if he gets hot, and also he has blankets on his hutch where he also like to go, and from there can hop onto my windowsill. even tho his cage was updated from a medium dog crate he still seems to bite on the bars and I cant freeroam him for too long as he poops and is starting to pee again on my floor + spends a lot of the time going on my bed trying to pee on it. what can I do + anything I can add to his pen

Is he neutered? Litter training is likely to improve once he is neutered. Rabbits will commonly wee on soft surfaces like your bed, you may be able to discourage him by covering it with a shower curtain, and you can clean it easily then. I would soak up any wee that isn’t in the litter tray with kitchen towel and clean with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to dissuade him from going in the wrong place. Sometimes more than one litter tray will help. You can use wood pellet cat litter with hay in the litter trays, and a large underbed storage box makes an excellent rabbit toilet area. I would keep the rest of the enclosure free of hay.

He may be bored, if you can give him apple sticks to chew that may help. And once he is neutered the best thing for a rabbit is another rabbit as a friend. A spayed female would be the best match. Your local rabbit rescue may be able to help with bonding.

Do you give him a nice lot of hay as rabbits are grazing animals and need to spend a lot of time munching on hay/grass.

my rabbit merlin has a cage that is about the size of 4 relatively hutches (like 5 feet by 8 feet or something)he has toys, a huge blanket to run on and play mats to run on, a hutch as a hideyhouse, which contains a metal tray I keep empty as a cool space if he gets hot, and also he has blankets on his hutch where he also like to go, and from there can hop onto my windowsill. even tho his cage was updated from a medium dog crate he still seems to bite on the bars and I cant freeroam him for too long as he poops and is starting to pee again on my floor + spends a lot of the time going on my bed trying to pee on it. what can I do + anything I can add to his pen

Whilst he could be frustrated and wanting out of the cage as I’ve found many rabbits do (why indoor free roaming a rabbit is the ideal for most imo), but I understand this isn’t always possible, and it does seem you have a good sized pen. Therefore it may be due to a lack of good chew toys. What types of toys does he have? Rabbits’ teeth never stop growing so they need lots of hay and toys to wear them down. Lots of toys and are suitable for this including seagrass and sisal chew mats, applewood (and other safe wood) sticks, hay rollers and Timothy hay cubes etc. And of course there is always the cheap alternative of cardboard which bunnies love, but make sure that it has no ink/tape on it as your bunny could ingest it and become ill. Also monitor how much cardboard your rabbit eats as it has been known to slow down GI tracts in rabbits.

Back