• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recommendations for soft litter for sore hocks

fettylop

New Kit
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a litter brand that is good for bunnies with sore hocks? It would be great if you could also tell me where I can purchase it.
Thanks!

I second this, you can pick up cheap fleece blankets, and they are easy to wash and dry, I use them for my indoor bunny.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant to put in the litter box. Can you recommend anything that is soft and absorbs well?

I’ve used carefresh natural pet bedding before which is very soft, but I found it was pretty expensive and my rabbits tried to eat it, so that could be a good option if your rabbit doesn’t want to eat it and you don’t mind spending a bit more than usual rabbit litter (ie wood pellets).

I’ve used carefresh natural pet bedding before which is very soft, but I found it was pretty expensive and my rabbits tried to eat it, so that could be a good option if your rabbit doesn’t want to eat it and you don’t mind spending a bit more than usual rabbit litter (ie wood pellets).
is it a good absorbent? Does it stick to fur? Thank you for your reply

Most of us do put hay in the litter tray as they like to eat while doing their toilet.

Yes definitely I put hay in his litter box but I want something to absorb the urine so it doesn’t go on his hocks. Do you put anything with the hay?

Yes definitely I put hay in his litter box but I want something to absorb the urine so it doesn’t go on his hocks. Do you put anything with the hay?

I just use newspaper underneath the hay, its easy to pull out and replace.

Oh cool. I put newspaper at the bottom too but I thought it wasn’t enough to keep his hocks dry. Thank you for your help!

Some bunnies, like my Raven, require a lot of newspaper. If you have a shredder, you can put newspaper through the shredder to make it softer.
While it is not recommended long term, wood shavings (like aspen) can also help with absorbency as his hocks heal.

Some bunnies, like my Raven, require a lot of newspaper. If you have a shredder, you can put newspaper through the shredder to make it softer.
While it is not recommended long term, wood shavings (like aspen) can also help with absorbency as his hocks heal.

Yes, I think mine too. I am using rabbit friendly wood shavings right now. I think I’ll try using Carefresh next since it seems to be the soft alternative. Maybe I’ll invest in a secondhand shredder later on hahah. Thanks!

I didn’t use it for too long as like I said, my bunny tried to eat it. It seemed quite absorbent (possibly not as much as wood pellets but good overall), and didn’t stick to fur in the time we used it, but we only tried it for a day or two as I didn’t want her ingesting it. I would also recommend putting hay in the litter tray for the bunny to eat and encourage good litter habits, as other have mentioned. Hope it helps!

Back