• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bertie off his food

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie stopped eating this morning. Had a couple of nibbles about 8.30am then nothing. He has been to the vet for gut stimulant. I have been back to the vet myself to buy metacam. The vet agrees with me that his problem is moult related. Please send prayers / vibes for my boy. I want my furry hoover back!

So sorry to hear that Bertie is having problems, hope the meds will help him get back to eating and pooping again soon. Sending loads of vibes xxx

Should I try to give Critical Care if he doesn't eat soon? He dislikes handling and has already been lifted a few times today.

Should I try to give Critical Care if he doesn't eat soon? He dislikes handling and has already been lifted a few times today.
Have they checked his blood glucose? And done an xray? Or ruled out a blockage? I wouldn't force feed if they haven't ruled a blockage out personally.

Could you call your vets if you're unsure and check, they should be able to advise based on what they checked etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Have they checked his blood glucose? And done an xray? Or ruled out a blockage? I wouldn't force feed if they haven't ruled a blockage out personally.

Could you call your vets if you're unsure and check, they should be able to advise based on what they checked etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Sending lots of vibes xx

Oh no :( we are sending lots and lots of vibes to Bertie. Get well soon xxx

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies. I gave a little Critical Care and his meds before seeing these replies but will ask the vet about the possibility of a blockage tomorrow. She did say he had gut sounds when she checked him. His output last night was fine. I'll update tomorrow, hopefully with news of output!

Sending vibes for Bertie. Syringing water can help hydrate gut contents. Did vet feel any fecal matter or was his gut doughy or gassey? Medicam should help.

I hope that Bertie has improved overnight. I would definitely hold off more syringe feeds if he has had no output. I'd want the Vet to see him again and possibly admit him so all meds and fluids can be given IV and he can have his blood glucose checked and monitored. Hopefully none of this will now be needed and Bertie will have improved overnight x

I'm afraid Bertie is no better. A couple of sips of water only. He has moved about a few times but sti no output. I'll be phoning the vet as soon as they open. I haven't given any more syringe feeds and the two I did give were very watery. Haven't slept all night!

Back