• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vet changes

Ruth and Heather are (I believe) just furloughed though so could be back at any time. I'm guessing it's childcare at the moment that keeps them furloughed. It was going so well - Ruth 2 days a week; Heather 2 different days a week and Becky covering 4 days - rabbit vet in every weekday. It's been so long since we had that.

If they are coming back I don;t want to burn my bridges but dunno WTF to do in the meantime. Trusting a new vet is one thing but not being in the room to assess their handling & other skills is a horrible prospect

If they are coming back I don;t want to burn my bridges but dunno WTF to do in the meantime. Trusting a new vet is one thing but not being in the room to assess their handling & other skills is a horrible prospect

Why wouldn't they be coming back? They seem to be operating with just five members of staff at the moment. I'm assuming that they can't run at full pelt they are having to save the wages of everybody else in the meantime to keep afloat. There's a vacancy advertised, if they were to streamline vets they wouldn't have a vacancy.

Would Sam be an option? I managed to register there without moving all my rabbits. Ring at a busy time and you might stand a better chance.;)

The other thing I'd consider in your situation - just get the vaccines done. It would be good to chat about all the other stuff but that's ideal world stuff. If you can get in between now and Wednesday you stand a good chance of getting Becky anyway - I did for both 'blind' appointments. I reckon they will give rabbit vaccinations to Becky where possible. They said she finishes "on Wednesday" that to me is a clue that she would be in "on Wednesday". ... not that you were after opinions or anything:oops::oops:

Last edited:
1st impressions of Paul Harris are good. He seemed very interested in learning about their lifestyles & from what he reported back I think he must have been pretty thorough. Good people skills.

1st impressions of Paul Harris are good. He seemed very interested in learning about their lifestyles & from what he reported back I think he must have been pretty thorough. Good people skills.

I’m glad that it went well, you must be very relieved:thumb:

Sounds an all-round good man :thumb:

I freaked him out as B&W rabbit was in the carrier with Mouse but I forgot to mention it :lol:

These are his views on my rabbits

Joey 2.6k No problems

Boo 2.8k (fatty:lol:) teeth looking a bit all over, Boo style. No point booking in for dental as she lets us know (this was Pauls thinking too). He thinks the further changes in her eye are EC related. Explained it which made sense at the time but didn't sink in. Sadly she does have cataract in her good eye too but confident she can see through that one

Mouse 2.8k (perfect). Not concerned re: slightly weepy eye. Teeth are borderline - this has been noted at last few consults. Her hay consumption & poops have improved since Rudey left so hoping she won't actually need dental. The bad news he didn't think Mouseys movement is up to a rebond. Poor girly - as he said, we gotta be her warren mates now

I freaked him out as B&W rabbit was in the carrier with Mouse but I forgot to mention it :lol:

These are his views on my rabbits

Joey 2.6k No problems

Boo 2.8k (fatty:lol:) teeth looking a bit all over, Boo style. No point booking in for dental as she lets us know (this was Pauls thinking too). He thinks the further changes in her eye are EC related. Explained it which made sense at the time but didn't sink in. Sadly she does have cataract in her good eye too but confident she can see through that one

Mouse 2.8k (perfect). Not concerned re: slightly weepy eye. Teeth are borderline - this has been noted at last few consults. Her hay consumption & poops have improved since Rudey left so hoping she won't actually need dental. The bad news he didn't think Mouseys movement is up to a rebond. Poor girly - as he said, we gotta be her warren mates now

He sounds like he was very thorough :thumb: you always do the best for your bunnies so I’m sure that Mouse will be very happy:love:

I am glad that you are relatively happy with PH. I am sure that Mousey will be happy to have you and OH as her companions xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: I so wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that! I suppose it’s good to have another opinion that Mouse is definitely best on her own, sort of. She’s well bonded with B&W bun though and I know you give her lots and lots of attention. Is there any possibility of allowing the others to have some downstairs access, so that they can interact between a divide or is that too impractical/stressful for them all? I know whatever you do, it will be the best thing for her x

Glad the vets visit went well, he sounds very thorough. Bless Mousie, I'm sure she'll be fine with both of you for company x

Thanks everyone.

TBH I hate the idea of her being on her own, we are not enough for her. She does sleep alot - has for ages now & she's not hugely interactive. She'll nose bump us & lie by our feet. She has a new box she loves - its very long (what the kaffir lime tree arrived in) so can stretch in there. She grooms B&W a bit but it was Rudey who really loved it. I might move the stair gate to the lounge door once stair carpet is in then J&B can at least explore rest of house. mouse has never left the lounge of her own volition & doesn't even use the 25% nearest the door. Agrophobic. She'd be ok with Joey, its Boo that would set the cat amongst the pigeons. Having several hours a day with Joe would prob be doable, I've never thought on / off contact is very good for animals though. Thoughts?

Mouse looks so happy to be home. She is lying on her blankey but keeps stretching out, semi flopping contentedly, giving her blankey grooms.

I guess if my mobility was as bad as Mouse the last thing I would want is the rabbit equivalent of benny hill (Boo) chasing me round the house. Feel guilty as I take on a lonely bunny, split Mouse from her friends & now I have "created" a lonely bunny in Mouse. The only way I can reconcile those thoughts is that I suspected the trio might be split one day as Mouse aged & Boo continued to be a rotter. still, it is what it is

I’m sure from what you have said that Mouse would increasingly been bullied and pushed out of the trio. I think you underestimate how much she appreciates your company, yes, in an ideal world she’d have a partner but she has a wonderful life with you. She’s able to wander as much (or as little) as she likes and isn’t trapped in a hutch alone outside with no company as many unfortunate rabbits are. Sending hugs to you and nose bumps to Mouse x

I’m sure from what you have said that Mouse would increasingly been bullied and pushed out of the trio. I think you underestimate how much she appreciates your company, yes, in an ideal world she’d have a partner but she has a wonderful life with you. She’s able to wander as much (or as little) as she likes and isn’t trapped in a hutch alone outside with no company as many unfortunate rabbits are. Sending hugs to you and nose bumps to Mouse x

My thoughts exactly:thumb:

:thumb:

Lopsy has a bonded partner but doesn't interact much with her :) They spend a lot of time away from each other. He spends a lot of time sleeping and she spends a lot of time wandering about. I think if you're home a lot then you're giving her the option of how much time she spends with you :)

I think my thoughts are different to other people's, but it's good to have a variety of views.

I can understand the vet's opinion that Mouse's mobility is not good enough for her to be re-bonded with Joey and Boo. From Mouse's perspective previously it also wasn't always a joyous bond. I think that trios are often like this and one bunny will be slightly left out or not as loved up as the other too. Mouse must have known this and so when she had her own Rudey bunny it must have been perfect for her. They always looked so contented together.

So, I think if it were me, I would consider looking for a calm, elderly buck to bond with Mouse. I presume the vet thought that the actual bonding would not be good for Mouse, not actually living with another rabbit or rabbits? I think that she and Rudey hit it off quite easily didn't they with no chasing etc?

That said, certainly as others have commented, she has a lovely home with you two and I know you would go out of your way to interact with her. I sense though that you feel she would be happier with another bunny.

I think my thoughts are different to other people's, but it's good to have a variety of views.

I can understand the vet's opinion that Mouse's mobility is not good enough for her to be re-bonded with Joey and Boo. From Mouse's perspective previously it also wasn't always a joyous bond. I think that trios are often like this and one bunny will be slightly left out or not as loved up as the other too. Mouse must have known this and so when she had her own Rudey bunny it must have been perfect for her. They always looked so contented together.

So, I think if it were me, I would consider looking for a calm, elderly buck to bond with Mouse. I presume the vet thought that the actual bonding would not be good for Mouse, not actually living with another rabbit or rabbits? I think that she and Rudey hit it off quite easily didn't they with no chasing etc?

That said, certainly as others have commented, she has a lovely home with you two and I know you would go out of your way to interact with her. I sense though that you feel she would be happier with another bunny.

oh christ, the last thing I need is to fall in love with a gentle old bunny - ok I know its not about me :lol:but I don't think my heart can stand any more losses - all my bunnies are getting on as it is. Yeah Rudey & Mouse just went together really easily. So did Joey & Mouse first time round.

I think Mouse liked being in a trio. Boo is ridiculously bossy with Joe - she nips his ass so many times when its nuggets time, he just manages her better. In terms of how they spent their time much of it was a three or a two & one - but that combo changed multiple times throughout the day, no bunny was ever left out but Mouse did get chased during activity hour (not daily but it did upset her based on foot stompings)

This is quite selfish too but I don't want another bunny & financially I'm not stable enough. One day in the distant future I want Joey & Boo to be back in the heart of our house.

I do agree Mouse would be better with the right bunny friend
Dark sense of humour alert - was tempted to ask Paul if he felt it would be safer to try bonding to Boo when she loses sight in her second eye and completely blind

Back