• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood shavings

Loopylou55

New Kit
Hi, I have recently got two Lionheads who are really fluffy. Whilst buying all of their housing I was advised to buy wood shavings for the floor of their hutch. Unfortunately, my poor boys are getting covered in wood shavings and it’s getting stuck in their fur. Is there anything else I can use?

Thank you ☺️

Wood shavings are not good for bunnies as they can cause respiratory problems also liver disease when wet. A lot of people put lino on the hutch floor with paper and hay in their litter tray, which encourages them to use it and become litter trained.

There's lot of different alternatives you can try, I've recently switched to plain old paper covered with straw and then hay on top for the litter tray. I don't have a hutch as mine are free range but I'm sure others will have suggestions just as tonibun has.

I’d honestly just say use blankets, providing your rabbits are litter trained and won’t chew them (ingesting blankets and other materials can lead to stasis if not monitored) so definitely depends on the rabbits. Also I’ve heard playmats are a great alternative if your rabbits are likely to chew blanket, but again watch them as some rabbits will even chew these also.

I would use lino on the floor and put down large litter trays with hay in - you can use something absorbent under the hay to make it easier to clean (eg newspaper, wood based cat litter, paper based cat litter, various hemp type products etc used for animal bedding). Bunnies tend to sit in the trays to munch hay and will toilet there at the same time (hopefully). Lino just gets swept out and wiped down daily (makes life a lot easier)- or you could put newspaper on top.

Ditto with the problem

I too have just got two baby Lionlops and use a soft rubber kong brush to remove the flakes but yes it is a nuisance, I cant get supplies of newspaper(or any other) so I am going to try using shavings or similar on the floor with a layer of soft straw (barley) that way they are raised off the shavings, most gets kicked away when they hop around, unfortunately it does mean finding room for another bale as I wont pay pet shop prices for tiny packets...alternatively, hemcore which doesnt grip the fur as much might be better than shavings

I use megazorb which is a paper wood pulp based product. It's great for absorbing wee and lining the toilet area.

Back