• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with bum trouble.

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
My bunny Bramble who's nearly eight has had a really rough few weeks
Round 1
He wasnt eating properly and very small poos.
Took him to the vets, had dental (just rough edges), bloods and x-rays. He had a infection and was treated with antibiotics.
Round 2
He was not eating or pooing well again. Was put on further antibiotics and gut meds. Now refuses to eat nuggets at all and only eats hay, veg, forage and herbs.
Round 3
He now has a partial anal prolapse. It recedes on its own but comes out when going poo. The poor lad is getting poo stuck in his fur around his bottom. Hes a very clean rabbit normally and I can see its upsetting him. My vet is saying at long as it recedes its okay at the moment but to keep a eye on him.
I'm falling to bits here with the stress of the last three weeks.
Anyone had this issue and can advise on anything to help him x

My bunny Bramble who's nearly eight has had a really rough few weeks
Round 1
He wasnt eating properly and very small poos.
Took him to the vets, had dental (just rough edges), bloods and x-rays. He had a infection and was treated with antibiotics.
Round 2
He was not eating or pooing well again. Was put on further antibiotics and gut meds. Now refuses to eat nuggets at all and only eats hay, veg, forage and herbs.
Round 3
He now has a partial anal prolapse. It recedes on its own but comes out when going poo. The poor lad is getting poo stuck in his fur around his bottom. Hes a very clean rabbit normally and I can see its upsetting him. My vet is saying at long as it recedes its okay at the moment but to keep a eye on him.
I'm falling to bits here with the stress of the last three weeks.
Anyone had this issue and can advise on anything to help him x

I am sorry to hear of your Rabbit's recent poor health. I think if the rectal prolapse is recurrent and distressing him then it needs treating. Is your Vet Rabbit savvy ? If he/she is reluctant to actively treat the rectal prolapse personally I would want to seek a second opinion from a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

I agree with Jane, I would seek a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet.

Sadly he declined massively over the weekend. I got to see my own vet on Monday and together we made the sad decision to let him hop over the bridge x

I am so sorry for your loss of Bramble.
He was lucky to be so loved.
You had no choice but to set him free from his broken body, though that will not help with your awful grief.

Thank you everyone. I've now got him back home with us. He's reunited at the bridge with his beloved Belle which is helping me right now, they were so devoted to each other.
I just sadly realised I've not been on here for a while and need to update my signature.
I only have the two bunnies on the left side now.

Heartbreaking for you, here is to hoping that Bramble is captivating the throng over the bridge with the best binkies an angel bunny can do!

I am having bum issues with mine in NY. It does not appear to be an anal or rectal prolapse, but a tumor, the vet said. Rare, but with bunnies living longer,might be more common. So, keep that in mind, bun lovers. It looks terrible. I have to prepare for the look from him to tell me: "I am ready" because I sure am not! Be safe and well!

Back