• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sprocket

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Sprocket by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Sprocket, my lovely lop boy passed due to heart failure at the grand old age of ten, only a month and a half after we lost his second wife bun Fizzgig. He came into our lives after the tragic loss of Gasket and Tappet in 2010. We found him in the vets at Pets at Home where he was up for adoption along with Widget.

Picture 139 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Sprocket was always a friendly bun, but was initially reticent to be picked up. He did come around eventually. He liked nothing better than a lot of fuss and cuddles, well unless a fenugreek crunchie was on offer of course! He had a love of sleeping in awkward places:

Sprocket by Jo Dale, on Flickr

P1460838 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

He enjoyed Parkour

P4218980 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

slides

P1460500 bunny slide 2 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

chasing cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GWmK2dj1s&list=PL18hI7QD4gtJQr5oKms2SHA9sHj7_Vtkl&index=15&t=0s

and lazing in the sun

P1460865 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

He had a naughty streak, he once dislocated Ian's finger with a kick when the vet tried to stick a swab up his nose. He also had a taste for cider.

IMG_20190926_204122 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

When Widget passed in 2015 we adopted Fizzgig and it wasn't exactly love at first sight. A bit of help from Cheryl sorted them out and they were very happy together.

OI000001.jpg by Jo Dale, on Flickr

In later years he started sleeping more, and we had suspicions that he was going deaf as he was hard to wake up. He always seemed to take his cues from Fizzgig and would follow her around. After she passed away, it became very clear that he was deaf. But he still enjoyed racing round the house or the garden for a mad five minutes before taking a nap.

P4241852 Sprocket by Jo Dale, on Flickr

He did not seem too concerned that Fizzgig was no longer there, which is why his sudden illness came as a real shock. He did suffer sometimes from bloat and I noticed he seemed to be breathing heavily, but not noisily, and looked to be in pain on the Friday, so we took him to the vet. They weren't sure what was causing it, and gave him gut meds and ABX, they said his lungs sounded clear and he still had gut sounds but his poop was small and so I thought it might be bloat. They kept him in overnight on oxygen/nebulisation and on Saturday afternoon thought he was improved enough to come home. I had hoped that if it was just bloat he would greatly improve once at home as had been the case previously, but this time seemed very different and he was no better the next morning and wouldn't eat without assistance. So on the Sunday morning we readmitted him. The vet called later to advise she thought it was his heart and that they would do some ultrasound etc, but then she phoned me back soon afterwards to advise that he had sadly passed away. :cry:

My bunnybun had passed to the bridge.

Sprocket periscope copy by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Oh I am so sorry to hear of Sprocket's passing :cry: He had a lovely life with you and I am sure he will be very much missed.

RIP Sprocket xx

Oh that's a beautiful tribute to Sprocket, and the the photos are lovely, I love the one of them going down the tunnel :D I'm so sorry that he had to leave you, but what a wonderful life you have him. Have fun at the bridge Sprocket xxx

He was adorable :love: a lovely tribute to a very special bunny :love:

Love the rabbit wars video :love:

i'm so sad to hear you're update. What a full & wonderfully long life he had & I'm glad at least his illness was short. Big, big hugs for you.

Sweet dreams gorgeous Sprocket, I'll have a cider toast to you as soon as I'm able xx

Thanks all, they were all spoilt rotten.. Sprocket is the oldest bunny I've ever had. These past two weeks have been so lonely, especially since I'm working from home and normally they keep me company in the lounge.

Although I've maybe got more work done since they left us:

20170120_104952 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

20170113_153521 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

A touching, emotional and heartfelt tribute to a very special bunny. So many special and precious memories. xx

So sorry to see this sad news. Sprockett was a special and handsome bun. My bunny companion, Bertie, looks quite like Sprickett and we both send our love to you at this difficult time.

Back