• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with weight gain

Snowymouse

Young Bun
Hello! My 6 year old doe is currently having treatment for a lower respiratory infection. She's on antibiotics which seem to be doing the trick but she has lost some weight over the past few months. I'm giving her extra pellet portions but her appetite is still a bit iffy and she'll sometimes leave them (suspect this is why her husbun is looking a little chunky..)

Any ideas for extra tasty stuff that with help her put on some pounds?

PS her teeth are perfect according to vet so no worries there!

Maybe try a few different types of hay. I’ve heard oat hay can be good for keeping on weight in older rabbits as it is slightly higher in sugar content than other hays.

Have you tried these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supreme-Selective-Naturals-Fibafirst-2kg/dp/B007P0ZXWS ?

When I've been in the position of having to give one bunny extra food I use these to hand feed when the other bunny isn't watching :) Also if you can feed them separately, I would get some Junior rabbit pellets, as they are higher in calories. If it's a lot of weight she needs to make up, I would also consider giving her some recovery mix as a syringe feed.

I have used recovery mix with baby food e.g. banana flavour, the main issue though is the sugar content so it's not a long term fix but it might help short term.

Thank you! I'm trying not to syringe feed because she's put up with so much but I'll order some fibafirst and oat hay and see how we get on

Have you tried these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supreme-Selective-Naturals-Fibafirst-2kg/dp/B007P0ZXWS ?

When I've been in the position of having to give one bunny extra food I use these to hand feed when the other bunny isn't watching :) Also if you can feed them separately, I would get some Junior rabbit pellets, as they are higher in calories. If it's a lot of weight she needs to make up, I would also consider giving her some recovery mix as a syringe feed.
Good advice. My bunnies like Fibafirst sticks. Selective Naturals also makes a treat version called garden sticks which gets them begging.

Back