• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded Bun After Death

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
I'm looking for some insight. My bunnies were bonded for a little over 3 years. My boy passed on Monday. My girl is left alone now. She is a Mini Rex, probably 5-6 years old. We got her when she was 2.5. She had several owners, had been used for breeding and had not had much human interaction. Since I've had her, she's been very shy and wary, always ran away from us, didn't want picked up (although I held her anyway,) and generally took a back seat to my boy. They sat together, groomed each other, but when out in our yard, rarely hung out together. Since his death, I have brought her into our living room area. She won't walk off the rug at all. She has been sleeping overnight in a dog crate I set up, using her litter box very nicely. She is eating well. But as always, just sits, eats hay and naps. When I took her into the yard these last few days, she stayed under a bush most of the time and has barely ventured out into the grass.

I'm not sure what to do with her. Leroy interacted with us all day, but she never has. Due to allergies, they lived in a large pen either in the basement or outside in nice weather. It is what she was used to before I got her. But she looks so small and lonely in the big pen now that Leroy is gone. I thought about trying to bond her with another bun, but due to coronavirus, the rescue is shut down, so no "speed dating." She doesn't seem stressed, seems content to flop on the floor beside her litterbox and nap until some sound puts her on alert.

I had always hoped she would warm up to us more and want our attention.

Rambling, I am. But just not sure how to handle this.

I'm sorry you have lost your little boy bun.

Have you tried hand feeding any pellets/veg/forage to try and get your girly bun used to you? Or just sitting out with her but not trying to interact her?

Hopefully the rescue will reopen soonish and you will be able to find another friend for her

Richard
Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Yep, she's sitting just a few feet from me. Sometimes I sit on the floor to see if she will come over. She did once, but not consistently. I just offered her a piece of apple, which she quickly downed.

From what you have said she is acting pretty normal so perhaps you are over-worrying. It might not be easy to bring in another rabbit unless you have a neutral area where you can introduce them. Females can be very territorial and are not happy to share their space with a new bunny. Hopefully in time you will be able to bond her with another rabbit.

tonibun - Me, over-worrying? LOL. Bunnies have taken a few years off my life due to my worrying. But you are probably right - this is most likely normal for her. Leroy always stole the show.

She sounds similar to my female, very much a buns bun and when Teddy passed away it didn't take long for me to know she'd much prefer a bun friend to human company. If she seems her normal self I wouldn't worry too much, hopefully rescues will be able to start rehoming soon and you can look for a friend for her.

I'm looking for some insight. My bunnies were bonded for a little over 3 years. My boy passed on Monday. My girl is left alone now. She is a Mini Rex, probably 5-6 years old. We got her when she was 2.5. She had several owners, had been used for breeding and had not had much human interaction. Since I've had her, she's been very shy and wary, always ran away from us, didn't want picked up (although I held her anyway,) and generally took a back seat to my boy. They sat together, groomed each other, but when out in our yard, rarely hung out together. Since his death, I have brought her into our living room area. She won't walk off the rug at all. She has been sleeping overnight in a dog crate I set up, using her litter box very nicely. She is eating well. But as always, just sits, eats hay and naps. When I took her into the yard these last few days, she stayed under a bush most of the time and has barely ventured out into the grass.

I'm not sure what to do with her. Leroy interacted with us all day, but she never has. Due to allergies, they lived in a large pen either in the basement or outside in nice weather. It is what she was used to before I got her. But she looks so small and lonely in the big pen now that Leroy is gone. I thought about trying to bond her with another bun, but due to coronavirus, the rescue is shut down, so no "speed dating." She doesn't seem stressed, seems content to flop on the floor beside her litterbox and nap until some sound puts her on alert.

I had always hoped she would warm up to us more and want our attention.

Rambling, I am. But just not sure how to handle this.

We lost our girl yesterday. I have the same worry for my boy now. She was the friendly one. He's the shy one who we just left to get on with it. He looks so lost on his own it breaks my heart

We lost our girl yesterday. I have the same worry for my boy now. She was the friendly one. He's the shy one who we just left to get on with it. He looks so lost on his own it breaks my heart

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm very sorry that you lost your Doe. If you are looking for some advice regarding your remaining bunny, you might get more replies if you post a new thread of your own.

Back