• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft poop

Vitto

New Kit
So, i had a guinea pig, 4 years, he had diarrhea, i took him to the vet and he died there. Now i have a bunny, it's been a month, he doesnt have diarrhea, but every other day takes one single soft poop, it's enough to smear his balls, paws and floor, the other 200 poops are regular, so i just wanted to know if this is normal, if there's something i should do, it's probably nothing, but because of the past, i get really freaked out.

So, i had a guinea pig, 4 years, he had diarrhea, i took him to the vet and he died there. Now i have a bunny, it's been a month, he doesnt have diarrhea, but every other day takes one single soft poop, it's enough to smear his balls, paws and floor, the other 200 poops are regular, so i just wanted to know if this is normal, if there's something i should do, it's probably nothing, but because of the past, i get really freaked out.

Are you referring to uneaten cecotrophs ?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

No, cecotrophs still have those shapes, his looks like straight up nutella, it's almost like diarrhea, but it only happens during one poop every other day, i usually see it in the morning. Maybe he takes a soft poop when he is scared ? he tends to be scared easily at night

What does he eat each day?

What does he eat each day?

Mostly pellets, apples and carrots, i tested 2 different types of hay (i dont know their names in english cause i'm from brazil), but he never wants hay, there is always hay available, but he only goes for the pellets and vegetables.

Mostly pellets, apples and carrots, i tested 2 different types of hay (i dont know their names in english cause i'm from brazil), but he never wants hay, there is always hay available, but he only goes for the pellets and vegetables.

Hello and welcome :wave: Sounds like he may be getting too much sugar in his diet. Apples and carrots aren't very good for rabbits, dark/leafy greens or herbs are better. Apples/carrots should only be given sparingly and in small amounts, any change to his diet will need to be done gradually though :) Pellets should also be a small part of his diet, about 1 eggcup (or tablespoon) per day. If you cut down his pellets gradually you may find he eats more hay, as hay should be 80% plus of his diet. You could also try presenting the hay in different ways, ie in a hay rack or cardboard boxes see if that gets him interested in or try scattering his pellets/veg in there too so he has to 'forage'

That is probably the problem. A Rabbit's diet should comprise of 80%-90% hay. Carrots and applets are very high in sugars and if fed at all should only be given in a tiny amount as an occasional treat. Pellets should only be fed in minimal amounts. These links give advice about a good diet for Pet Rabbits.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

If your Rabbit has never eaten hay/grass he is very likely to have Dental problems. So getting a Vet who is experienced with treating Rabbits to examine his teeth is also essential

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm

I agree, it's almost certainly his diet. If you cut down on the pellets, carrots and apples, he should start to eat hay.

Hey guys, just an update, been trying to get more hay in him, and he finaly started eating 2 weeks ago, it's not a lot it's not 80%, it's more like 30%. He just doesn't like it that much, there's always hay for him, he just doesn't go for it that much. Either way, it did help cutting back on the apples and carrots and making an extra effort for him to go after the hay, he is not taking soft poops 4 times a week, now it's more like once a week. it's not perfect, but it did help so i just wanted to thank you.

It's hard to get the right hay sometimes isn't it!! I've always found pet shop hay to be hit and miss. They seem to make it really chopped up and quite "soft".

I'd try and get some nice long stalky hay if you haven't already tried it. Sometimes this is easier sourced locally where the seller has harvested it themselves, or even online if you have any dedicated hay suppliers.

Are you living in Brazil or are you in the UK? In the UK there is timothyhay.co.uk which is good!

Hope you find some hay your bunny really loves 😊

He should be getting about 1 tbsp of pellets each day and no carrots or apples and as he gets hungrier he will start to munch on his hay. Also, putting hay in his litter tray will also encourage him to eat it as rabbits like to eat while they toilet. :thumb:

Back