• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential New Boarding Venture

Good Morning Everybody :)

My name is Caitlin, I am 23 and I am the proud owner of 4 lovely rescue rabbits. I have been a bunny slave for getting on 2 years now, we adopted our first pair a few months after buying our first home, and then adopted a second pair a few weeks later. They all live their best bunny lives in their aviary style homes and attached runs. Please see attached pics :)

We are also currently sorting out our garden to be able to take in foster buns for the rescue that we adopted our 4 from :)

During this time of having bunnies I have gained lots of knowledge on keeping small furries as pets and keeping them healthy and happy. A lot of my friends have mentioned that they have friends/colleagues/customers that also have small furries, and they always say that I would be a great person to look after peoples pets if I was in a position to offer a boarding service. After having a chat with my fella we have decided we would give it a go and create a few hutches to be able to offer this.

The plan is to have a 6ftx2ft hutch on top of a 6ftx4ft run as the boarding and foster accomodation, all of it on slabs to make it escape proof and easy to clean. We would only have 2 of these, so we would only take on 4 rabbits/pigs at a time. I would only take in fully vaccinated and neutered buns, and would only really want to offer this for friends of friends, I am not planning on putting my name out there.

I have decided that I do not want to make any money from this, and will instead be doing it all at cost (I would hope to make my money back for the cost of the housing, and once I have made this back then start my plan) and will keep back money to cover the cost of the food and other expenses, and then donate any profits or donations to the rabbit rescue we got our 4 from (please note they are not a registered charity).

I hope that I have all of the welfare and set up plans sorted, however I am a bit concerned about the money side of things. Because I am doing it such small scale, essentially only doing it for select people, and not looking to make any money from it, do I need to take all of the necessary steps as if it was a full business e.g. register self employed, complete tax returns and track expenses??

I know this sounds a lot but I really do want to do this properly. The rescue that I got my 4 from also offer boarding, and I am hoping that they would be able to help me in terms of paperwork to be signed by the clients and things like that.

Would really appreciate any information from people who offer boarding or those in a similar situation :)

Thank you so much!! Xx
15365bfbbca01d26a1023735e13f0e9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi welcome to the forum! Your set up looks really good and it sounds like your rabbits have a fabulous life with you! The boarding idea sounds great but I'm not really sure how it all works business wise but hopefully someone else can pop along and help with that!

I think it depends what your plans are, if you are taking in animals from people you don’t know and charging a fee, then I suspect you’ll need to be fully insured etc. If however you are looking after friends animals and asking them to make a donation to the charity on your behalf, then that’s far less formal and I don’t imagine you’d need anything official to do so :)

Back