• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping in his litter box

Pamkelly

New Kit
Marcel has a lovely new house that has a separate sleeping area. Instead he now sleeps in his litter box, he holds his waste all night I guess to keep it clean. I have to let him out in the morning so he can do his business. I feel so bad for him. Anyone have ideas to get him to sleep in his designated area and use his litter box. This has been happening since he got his new house a few days ago

Rabbits love to sleep in their litter trays, they never sleep in the "bedroom". Rabbits also like to chew hay while they do their toilet so you could put some hay in the litter tray and he will be a very happy bunny! :)

Is he not passing anything all night? What is he passing quantity wise during the day? That doesn’t sound right :( Though all of mine sleep in their litter trays, they’ll use them too. Definitely would put plenty of hay in there :)

Oh yes, when I take him out in the morning he does a lot of business. He never did this before. His old cage had a igloo in it that he always slept in. Since the new house he sleeps in his litter box and wont do his business in it. I feel so bad for him holding all night. Any ideas how to get him to sleep in his lovely new sleeping area. Do you think putting hay in the litter box and the shredded paper ( that is in his litter box) in the sleeping area may direct him out of sleeping in his litter box ? All answers are greatly appreciated

Just two days. He loved his igloo that he always slept in so I think I will put back into his sleeping area. Hopefully that will encourage him out of the litter box

Some rabbits, even guinea pigs, take some time to get back into a toilet routine after moving them to a new location.

My bunny likes to nap in his tray during the day, we had a spare litter tray anyways so we just put two in his area. One he uses as a toilet, the other he has never pooped or peed in, he just sleeps in. Dunno if that’s worth trying!

Back