• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna has been sneezing // update 31st

Did they give her fluid therapy after the GA ? This is now standard practice at my Vet's Surgery and it can certainly help speed up recovery.

they have yes. she's had fluids along with syringe feeding but she just isn't responding very well :( I've made up her little hospital area to rest away from Orion who I am told is *not* being helpful and has attacked the staff many times when they go to check on Luna!! he also dragged a warm hand around the cage. he's such a little coughs :lol:

they have yes. she's had fluids along with syringe feeding but she just isn't responding very well :( I've made up her little hospital area to rest away from Orion who I am told is *not* being helpful and has attacked the staff many times when they go to check on Luna!! he also dragged a warm hand around the cage. he's such a little coughs :lol:

I expect Luna just needs a good rest when she first gets home. Will the Vet give you some prokinetics to start her on if she has no output by later tonight ?

Orion sounds as though he's none to impressed with his day at the Vets !!

Hope she's back to her normal self soon. Treacle always takes ages to shake off anaesthetic, it's usually late evening before she's moving around anywhere near normal. I'm glad Orion is looking after her well :?

I expect Luna just needs a good rest when she first gets home. Will the Vet give you some prokinetics to start her on if she has no output by later tonight ?

Orion sounds as though he's none to impressed with his day at the Vets !!

she’s already had some to try and help but I have some to give at home if she’s still not 100% by tomorrow.

he is not! sulking in the box. you wouldn’t believe the day he’s had!!!!
2997aa14352db2d086f4aa863dc4e233.jpg

he’s had the worst day dammit!!! not luna! him!!!! he’s the poor baby who was subjected to abuse! [emoji38][emoji38]

22e786c811f4d0490d98174a64043fa0.jpg

poor high baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

she has a lot of eye boogers - is that normal?
21cdcbdc0fb4e215f20cc3050fa3a258.jpg

she’s also loudly teeth grinding :( gonna give a dose of metacam I think..

she has a lot of eye boogers - is that normal?
21cdcbdc0fb4e215f20cc3050fa3a258.jpg

she’s also loudly teeth grinding :( gonna give a dose of metacam I think..

An eye lubricant is used when a Bunny has a GA to protect the eyes as Bunny cannot blink. Some Rabbits react to the preservative in the lubricant. Did the Vet attempt to flush out her nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts) as part of the investigation into her sneezing ? If so and nothing came out it looks as though it is now (a good thing !) and she will probably need a course of topical abx eye treatment such as Isathal. I'd bathe the eye with cooled boiled water and very, very gently press around the tear duct, another plug of gunk may come out. Give the Vet a call this morning to let him/her know what has occurred, email the image of her gunky eye too. I hope Luna is brighter within herself by now and that she has had some poo output x

okay thank you jane - I will mention it. I don’t think she flushed eyes but I have such a lack of brain it’s unreal! forgot my purse yesterday and kept misplacing the syringe (right under my face) [emoji38][emoji849] I wasn’t sure what it was but I wiped it gently anyway. if she’ll let me I will do my best to bathe it. she’s so upset right now

it’s been.. rough. I was feeding from 8:30pm every hour because she didn’t want to eat anything. she was also quite dehydrated. this was the point I noticed loud teeth grinding so she had more metacam - she’d had her morning dose at 7:30am so it had been 12 hours.

I didn’t feel comfortable going to bed until I saw a poop. she produced a few tiny ones at 11pm. stayed up for another hour to do one last force feeding. I have received around 3 luna bites and had to pry towel out of her mouth lol.

checked in at 4am. she was very sleepy. no pellets eaten. the herbs and dried forage had been eaten however. critical care untouched. I gave her some more herbs because it’s the one thing she’ll eat rn. those got eaten.

woke at. 7:30 to check her and well - not much more to report than at 4am. still very tiny poops. no pellet eaten. herbs eaten but not really as pain relief was likely wearing off. she’s eating a few strands of hay here and there but not really enough to sustain her in all honesty.

she’s quite upset being away from orion and I’m tempted to put them back together since she clearly isn’t going to eat any of the critical care or pellet herself. it will make poop harder but they’re quite small so I should be able to tell if I need too. I’m not too sure tbh. I wanted her eating decently bc I can’t put in extra tasties to tempt her with orion around (like the extra herbs). he’s been sat by her tho at the bars, even trying to break her out!

Sometimes a Bunny will grind their teeth after a dental, not necessarily due to pain but because their teeth feel 'odd' Could she and Orion have a bit of time to hop about together. That may perk Luna up and the more active she is the better it will be for her gut motility. Then you could put them back into their individual bases and give Luna a good choice of food types and Orion a small treat of some herbs. If you can access any Hawthorn that may get Luna eating more. You could hide sprigs of it around your room so the two of them can hop about to find them, making eating fun and getting Luna interested in something other than her recent trauma. Of course Orion had a dreadful day yesterday too......................according to him !! After all, he was only allowed to eat half a Vet, there were many other candidates available on the menu :lol:

Luna has been sneezing [u/d 18th]

I know!!! he had to sit in a weird place and only bit the usual vet and another nurse a few times. his mess of throwing around hay, and digging the blankets out of the carrier, was put back. he was also stopped from dragging luna’s blankets around the room! a horrible, AWFUL, day!

I had her out for.. an 30-60 minutes with orion. i’ve lost track of time. she was just sat hunched over as he groomed her and she kept grinding her teeth with squinty eyes. I put food around the room but she didn’t even perk up at them. orion refused to leave her for food, he knows something is wrong. he did take his treat to her and left it in front of her but she didn’t even move :(

I did wonder if things felt weird but it seemed to stop after pain relief (or well, she stoped it as much).

I called my vet around 9 and she wasn’t happy with her eye gunk, or her lack of eating. I also think she was dehydrated, her skin took ages to go back down and her gums looked paler than usual? she’s not drinking, all her fluid is from critical care and herbs. she’s also hunched up. she looked to be straining when she went in the litter box.

she’s alert but refusing to move. shows interest but stops instantly.

so I dropped her off, for stronger pain relief, fluids, and monitoring.

my vet called, she’s not eating. not pooped. she’s been having fluids and around the clock care. she’s had stronger pain killers and fluids. unless she needs a drip they’ll send me home in my capable hands [emoji3059]

don’t ask me what she’s had. I took a nap as soon as I got home as I was exhausted and my chest was hurting too. I woke up to the phone ringing and saw the vets. I genuinely looked at the phone, looked at my boyfriend, “funny, the vets are calling me, wonder why” and fell back asleep so he had to take the call [emoji38][emoji24] I’m so not with it.

thank you all for your continued good vibes and support with her [emoji3590]

I know!!! he had to sit in a weird place and only bit the usual vet and another nurse a few times. his mess of throwing around hay, and digging the blankets out of the carrier, was put back. he was also stopped from dragging luna’s blankets around the room! a horrible, AWFUL, day!

I had her out for.. an 30-60 minutes with orion. i’ve lost track of time. she was just sat hunched over as he groomed her and she kept grinding her teeth with squinty eyes. I put food around the room but she didn’t even perk up at them. orion refused to leave her for food, he knows something is wrong. he did take his treat to her and left it in front of her but she didn’t even move :(

I did wonder if things felt weird but it seemed to stop after pain relief (or well, she stoped it as much).

I called my vet around 9 and she wasn’t happy with her eye gunk, or her lack of eating. I also think she was dehydrated, her skin took ages to go back down and her gums looked paler than usual? she’s not drinking, all her fluid is from critical care and herbs. she’s also hunched up. she looked to be straining when she went in the litter box.

she’s alert but refusing to move. shows interest but stops instantly.

so I dropped her off, for stronger pain relief, fluids, and monitoring.

my vet called, she’s not eating. not pooped. she’s been having fluids and around the clock care. she’s had stronger pain killers and fluids. unless she needs a drip they’ll send me home in my capable hands [emoji3059]

don’t ask me what she’s had. I took a nap as soon as I got home as I was exhausted and my chest was hurting too. I woke up to the phone ringing and saw the vets. I genuinely looked at the phone, looked at my boyfriend, “funny, the vets are calling me, wonder why” and fell back asleep so he had to take the call [emoji38][emoji24] I’m so not with it.

thank you all for your continued good vibes and support with her [emoji3590]

Poor Luna, could the Vet run a blood profile whilst Luna is there ? I am assuming that she still is ?? I am wondering how her Kidneys are baring up. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Poor Luna, could the Vet run a blood profile whilst Luna is there ? I am assuming that she still is ?? I am wondering how her Kidneys are baring up. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

yes she is, I can collect her this evening sometime. I'll ask about bloods also. she's quite bad at getting blood from her because she freaks out. probably because she can't see and the noise of the clippers, altho its only a gentle humming. she gets bloods done every year; the only saving grace is she's been able to hear & feel me so she's calm, times I haven't been around its been even more of a nightmare! ofc I can't be :( its difficult. you wanna run everything but you also don't wanna push her back with extra stress. she doesn't bleed well either, (ofc she doesn't, its Luna, would we expect anything less!!) her bloods every year has been the attitude of close enough :lol:

she'll come home unless she needs a drip. then we'll have to see where that takes us and our options.

I'll def ask about bloodwork, I didn't think of that.

were would I be without RU! my head isn't screwed on right with all of this :lol: :love:

yes she is, I can collect her this evening sometime. I'll ask about bloods also. she's quite bad at getting blood from her because she freaks out. probably because she can't see and the noise of the clippers, altho its only a gentle humming. she gets bloods done every year; the only saving grace is she's been able to hear & feel me so she's calm, times I haven't been around its been even more of a nightmare! ofc I can't be :( its difficult. you wanna run everything but you also don't wanna push her back with extra stress. she doesn't bleed well either, (ofc she doesn't, its Luna, would we expect anything less!!) her bloods every year has been the attitude of close enough :lol:

she'll come home unless she needs a drip. then we'll have to see where that takes us and our options.

I'll def ask about bloodwork, I didn't think of that.

were would I be without RU! my head isn't screwed on right with all of this :lol: :love:

My head is just screwed full stop !!

So, having Pets is meant to be good for reducing our stress levels. Whoever came up with that gem had clearly never had to cope with a poorly Rabbit..............or an Orion !!

Luna has been sneezing [u/d 18th]

My head is just screwed full stop !!

So, having Pets is meant to be good for reducing our stress levels. Whoever came up with that gem had clearly never had to cope with a poorly Rabbit..............or an Orion !!

[emoji38][emoji38]

i’d like to speak to whoever decided rabbits are clean animals too.. sooo much mess!! all the time! you clean it and hours later looks like you never bothered [emoji849]

orion is stressful in his own ways. he hasn’t been sick as much (touch wood) but he causes mayhem!! he’s caused me to replace my carpet, £100 in wires in one escape session (it’s so much more in total but once he ran into my room and bit every wire!!!), broke my phones camera lens, tried to JUMP out of the window, ate my CACTUS!!!, destroyed an entire bag of 24 toilet rolls.. the list goes on

at least Luna can be fixed - his behaviour can’t!!!!

small update - she's home and a lot brighter (even giving me the sulk and a nudge). her tummy is nice and doughy as it should be (well, good consistency, this morning it was very hard). she's been pooping a little and nibbling, along with being force fed by the nurse. she's had lots of fluids under the skin, she looks quite fat now :lol:

I've stuck her back in baby jail as BF calls it with a bowl of critical care, pellet, and herbs, as I really need some rest as my chest is killing me and BF is on dinner duty so theres nobody to watch her. Orion would eat everything given to her as shes just nibbling really slowly and he needs to lose some weight actually!

once ibuprofen kicks in and hopefully I feel better I'll let her out and get her moving with orion out too

Back