• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna has been sneezing // update 31st

oh poor girlie, just caught this thread. really hope the xrays find the cause of her sneezing, and its easily treatable. sending lots of Luna vibes xxx

thank you all [emoji3059] I really hope so too

just as an incase I’m looking to purchase more panels for the pen theyre in (along with a door). that way if it is something more sinister I can seperate her from Orion if need be. he’s a piggy and will steal anything of her... [emoji849]

it will also come in handy for other situations (like stasis), and to keep an eye on her after the anaesthesia. poor girl takes so long to come around, is wobbling and all over the shop for hours. meanwhile orion takes her critical care, throws her heat pad, and bounces on her [emoji38][emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank you Jane x

x-rays are tomorrow, to say I'm nervous is to say the least :( I have a sense of dread over me. I know she will be okay, I trust my vet (and the team as a whole) with her fully, they have gone above and beyond for her (and me), and I can't thank them enough. even so, anaesthetic is rather scary, and even scarier is what the results may show. ideal situation is a deep sinus infection, worse case is her teeth or it showing nothing - we're back to square one then having no idea what it is.

its gonna cost between 250-350 for the x-rays, however the cost is the least of my concerns, I just want her to be okay. I'll be able to claim on insurance, and I have a savings account just for them. they'll x-ray her chest too for peace of mind, so I hope that doesn't show any problems with her heart or lungs either.

thank you all :love: dropped her off and went to go pick up a nice soft cat bed for her when she returns, and a few small toys as a sorry to Orion :lol: I can call around 1:30 to see how she is..house feels quite empty without them :(

they're also going to check her teeth and file any spurs - not that we have any concerns but since you can't fully check when they're awake, we're taking the opportunity to double check.

GOOD NEWS! :D

no roots (or teeth) are growing into her jaw from what can be seen & her sinuses are clear.

she did however have the beginnings of some spurs on her very back teeth. she also had some food stuck around her tooth and in/on her gums which as caused a minor infection.. my vet has cleaned it as much as possible but she wondered if somehow that caused the sneezing. she's quite stumped tbh as there's no obvious issues with her sinuses or nose area at all. she can only theorise the food was pressing into her gums causing discomfort and therefore sneezing, maybe she was trying to dislodge it? my vet is quite confused honestly. so she'll be on antibiotics.

somehow she's fractured a tooth?! different one to the food impaction but my vet has tried to fix it as best as she can.

I imagine she's going to be a bit sore in the mouth today, so I'll be watching her closely.

he fought the anaesthetic the entire time however, taking ages to go under and even woke up just ever so slightly. she's only just coming around bless her, but as usual she takes such a long time to fully come around. I imagine I'll be separating her from Orion so that she can get some rest and critical care (or chunky boy is gonna take it all). she's an awkward sod ofc :lol::lol:

so we'll have to see how things go - my vet is quite stumped and can only hope/think its a combination of the food impaction and the fractured tooth. if it doesn't work we'll have to go back and see what else we can try. I'm really hoping this gets the poor girl on the mend :s

gotta call back in an hour to see how she is and when I can collect. I want my rabbit back!

Last edited:
That all sounds positive, maybe it was just the combination of the tooth pressing on a nerve, hope so anyway. She'll soon be home bless her xx

I am glad she came through the procedure OK. Dont forget to ask for Metacam for her as well as the antibiotics. Sending vibes for a speedy recovery xx

Thought that may be the case :) She's getting like me, dodgy bones and teeth!!

:lol: shes taking after Nanny Jane!!

less good news: she's really not handling coming out of the anaesthesia well :( she's refusing to eat, very groggy, and wobbly. they won't let her come home until they close at 6. I am so worried about her. she never handles coming out of anaesthesia well and is usually very groggy for hours and hours. my friend who runs a rescue has never seen anything like her. shes quite special. snoopy & orion have always been almost back to normal within the hour or two, perhaps a little quiet but she is something else.

:lol: shes taking after Nanny Jane!!

less good news: she's really not handling coming out of the anaesthesia well :( she's refusing to eat, very groggy, and wobbly. they won't let her come home until they close at 6. I am so worried about her. she never handles coming out of anaesthesia well and is usually very groggy for hours and hours. my friend who runs a rescue has never seen anything like her. shes quite special. snoopy & orion have always been almost back to normal within the hour or two, perhaps a little quiet but she is something else.

Did they give her fluid therapy after the GA ? This is now standard practice at my Vet's Surgery and it can certainly help speed up recovery.

Back