• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna has been sneezing // update 31st

haveb't seen a poop out of her since i got her home :cry: just force fed her. she was hungry. she is biting the willow ring and timothy twist but isnt eating :cry:

thank yo ufro your wishes for me and her :love:

I hope Luna has had a bit more output overnight. You may need to continue with the prokinetics for a few days until her GI tract motility returns to normal. Hope you will be feeling better soon too xx

Sending lots more vibes, I hope she is doing better soon and hope you are feeling better too xx

I hope Luna has had a bit more output overnight. You may need to continue with the prokinetics for a few days until her GI tract motility returns to normal. Hope you will be feeling better soon too xx

yes, we have those at home too! emeprid and cisapride. she responds to cisapride better but emeprid is a backup.

still not eating. I’ve discovered she favours one side of the mouth. i’m a bit confused but it’s her left looking at her I think. so the side with the infection she won’t eat with.

but she’s pooping, tiny ones.

Im feeding every 2-3 hours and sharing shifts with bf so we can both catch some sleep

thank you all for yur vibes for her and me. it’s gonna be a long weekend! [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, we have those at home too! emeprid and cisapride. she responds to cisapride better but emeprid is a backup.

still not eating. I’ve discovered she favours one side of the mouth. i’m a bit confused but it’s her left looking at her I think. so the side with the infection she won’t eat with.

but she’s pooping, tiny ones.

Im feeding every 2-3 hours and sharing shifts with bf so we can both catch some sleep

thank you all for yur vibes for her and me. it’s gonna be a long weekend! [emoji17]

Well the BF must be earning some Smartie points by helping out with the feeds. OMG, that sounds like we are talking about a baby...................:shock::lol:

I expect it will be a few days before Luna's input and output is back to normal. I really empathise with you as caring for a Bunny who is not eating much and who also has other health problems can be exhausting..

I the abscence of availability of Ranitidine I have found Cisapride to be very effective, far more so than just Metaclopramide. x

Well the BF must be earning some Smartie points by helping out with the feeds. OMG, that sounds like we are talking about a baby...................:shock::lol:

I expect it will be a few days before Luna's input and output is back to normal. I really empathise with you as caring for a Bunny who is not eating much and who also has other health problems can be exhausting..

I the abscence of availability of Ranitidine I have found Cisapride to be very effective, far more so than just Metaclopramide. x

I figured :( I think before she'll eat properly or at least, enough, this infection will have to clear up. I annoyed her into eating 3 strands of hay and each time she would only eat with the left side of her mouth, even making a point to swap when given from the right side. obviously not enough to say for sure but it seems like it. I think the infection in her mouth is only minor but obviously very sore. it was only discovered because my vet saw she had food impacted onto her tooth and the gums looked red, she removed it and saw it had caused an infection. whether its bigger than it seems is a different matter, but shes on abx x2 a day. but I'd guess from the food being removed and it cleaned & poked it now really hurts as its been disturbed.

if she would eat even a bit more I could feed less frequently but as it stands she eats a few strands of hay and nothing for hours, or even thats it for the day.

yes, she had emeprid but didn't respond as well to it (it helped but not as much as cisapride does). I have it at home tho so if I run out of cisapride before we're back it will have to do. I think I have enough for over the weekend as that's what my vet intended

it really does sound like its a baby!! when I told him the plan for Luna's feeds he asked if we should have bought a cot, a pram and some baby grows and that its good practice for the both of us (for the future!!!! nobody panic) :lol: he's been so good, meant I actually got 6 hours sleep uninterrupted, and then went back to bed for another 2 after feeding Luna at 6am. I keep saying she's like a furry newborn.

when we first started dating he never really had or cared for pets, but over time he's really come to love them. he helped out with our "shared" gerbils (not really but he named Wine Gum so it was "his" haha). admittedly his first introductions of Luna consisted of her chasing and biting him :oops: I'm glad that didn't leave a lasting impression, as Luna's really come to love BF (and he quite likes her & Ori). he's not as ballsy, or possibly stupid, as I am as I'll put my hands in mouths and poke them around but, I also do not blame him :lol: I'm very grateful to have help as I'm not sure I'd be doing too good, its exhausting without any emotional or physical support. esp getting up every 3 hours so I'd have broken sleep. I look like a raccoon!!

thank you for all your continued support and vibes for her (and myself :love). I keep telling her that RU is waiting for her to eat, she looks rather unimpressed. I was hoping peer pressure would help :( :lol:

Bless her, yes I bet her little mouth is sore on the one side. I'm sure it will get better soon, and once the abx have kicked in. You and b.f. are doing an amazing job there, she couldn't be in better hands xx

great news! :D we had a breakthrough last night after I angered her with her abtx, stimulants and metacam. she ran off to go and eat some hay to prove to me she was fine and did NOT want any further poking! :evil: :lol:

she hasn't been fed since..7pm last night, we have poops and she is eating well. she is out of hiding too, greeting me and eating her herbs.

I'm going to continue the stimulants for now, but hopefully we are out of the woods now (fingers crossed)

she's bit me 6 times this morning trying to give her her antibiotics. still haven't gotten them in her :lol:

still eating, doesn't want her pellet or treats though. but hay is the important part!

so..I have more to add to this huuuuuge ongoing novel :lol:

I've been fine since the end of June - no sneezing. unfortunately, she's started sneezing again..

I called my vet and asked, we've decided to try her back on the piriton again since it did help (but clearly had other issues too). we're going on the stronger end of the dose (0.4/kg of body weight) so she's having 1ml a day.

she's stop sneezing now, which I'm glad about. I hope it stays.

there's multiple issues to this & why she's sneezing
1) being my dad spraying so much deodorant every morning - once he's out of the bathroom the entire house stinks of deodorant. he holds it in for 20 seconds a few times. its nuts. he does it upstairs and you can smell it downstairs, in the living room, which is on the opposite side of the house. I always shut the doors but doors are not air sealed ofc..so some still gets in there. its not as bad but its not ideal
2) the neighbours washing machine. its downstairs, at the front of the house, diagonally below the rabbits room window. I am pretty damn sure they use half a back of washing powder each time.. theres 6 people in there (its a HMO), so the damn thing is on the entire time. I can't shut the bunnies window because it would be too hot in there, so consequently, the room can often stink of washing powder.

I can't do squat about these things but medicate and wait to move tbh.

Do you have a moving date yet? :)

nope :? we're calling monday to ask for an update. we're now waiting on them to give a contract so we can move.. I wanna goooo. mostly for luna's sake. upsetting that she sneezes and it disturbs her. the situation isn't good for anybodies noses :T

OMG the deodorant is a real irritant: one of our friends, who works with my OH, is allergic to any kind of aerosol deodorant or perfume and people think 'oh, you're just complaining' because we've all walked past that person in the street with too much perfume and gagged, haven't we. Well he's got it so bad he basically stops breathing because his lungs stop working. Now he's found out he has COPD and he's late-30s :S I doubt it's as bad as that but worth bearing in mind. I agree as well, I doubt the wshing powder is making it any better to. God luck getting out soon xx

Back