Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luna has been sneezing

Default Luna has been sneezing

had a video consult with my vet this morning, she thinks Luna has allergies

shes been sneezing a lot but its not a snotty sneeze and shes not wheezing. her breathing looks to be a bit heavier but shes not favouring a nostril.

so shes gonna have to have a steroid injection tomorrow. shes on metacam tho and she cant have both, so no metacam today, tomorrow (when she has the injection) but she can have it on wednesday.

we run a small risk of an upset stomach having metacam and the steroids so close together, but one well have to take. she cant stay off metacam for the 5 days suggested, its not fair on her arthritis and then we may end up with a gi slowdown or needing acupuncture.

hopefully shes okay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by binkyCodie; 08-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    had a video consult with my vet this morning, she thinks Luna has allergies

shes been sneezing a lot but its not a snotty sneeze and shes not wheezing. her breathing looks to be a bit heavier but shes not favouring a nostril.

so shes gonna have to have a steroid injection tomorrow. shes on metacam tho and she cant have both, so no metacam today, tomorrow (when she has the injection) but she can have it on wednesday.

we run a small risk of an upset stomach having metacam and the steroids so close together, but one well have to take. she cant stay off metacam for the 5 days suggested, its not fair on her arthritis and then we may end up with a gi slowdown or needing acupuncture.

hopefully shes okay!

Idk if your vet would consider this, but Atticus has allergies and when they flare up he has children's piriton, my Vet worked out the dose and its liquid so easy to use and it sorts it out fine. Just a thought as you may not need to stop the Metacam then? Although I'm no expert on it and your vet might not like that idea etc. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hope Luna stops sneezing soon x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

hm, its def an idea to consider.

she's said she's had a lot of bunnies with the same symptoms, heavy sneezing but no discharge, she thinks its allergies but isn't sure why. Luna has never presented any symptoms or issues until now. she thinks the issue is her sinuses being inflamed, and the metacam isn't helping, so we need something stronger to bring that down

its been going on for a week and has gotten worse, its huge sneezing fits for 30 seconds or so, she gets pretty upset tbh pawing at her face. I feel awful for her.

she is in a mood not having had her metacam today....just bit me during petting her head. its gonna be a long two days.

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    hm, its def an idea to consider.

she's said she's had a lot of bunnies with the same symptoms, heavy sneezing but no discharge, she thinks its allergies but isn't sure why. Luna has never presented any symptoms or issues until now. she thinks the issue is her sinuses being inflamed, and the metacam isn't helping, so we need something stronger to bring that down

its been going on for a week and has gotten worse, its huge sneezing fits for 30 seconds or so, she gets pretty upset tbh pawing at her face. I feel awful for her.

she is in a mood not having had her metacam today....just bit me during petting her head. its gonna be a long two days.
    Poor baby it's rough, Atticus has been having a similar thing in the last two weeks, was pawing at his nose, no discharge etc, and his front paws are clean, my hayfever is bad too, I actually think it might be the pollen or something atm. Hope she can get some relief, doesn't sound good without the Metacam though

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Poor baby it's rough, Atticus has been having a similar thing in the last two weeks, was pawing at his nose, no discharge etc, and his front paws are clean, my hayfever is bad too, I actually think it might be the pollen or something atm. Hope she can get some relief, doesn't sound good without the Metacam though

yea its def not..ideal. we've agreed we're just gonna take the risk of an upset tummy so no metacam today, tomorrow, but she can have it back on Wednesday. I think she may murder me and my vet if she didn't have it for the 5 days recommended with steroids �� its a small risk but one they usually don't want to take - but it is what it is I guess! she's just gonna be a right menace until Wednesday.

Sending lots of vibes for Luna xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

I'd get the Vet to have a good listen to Luna's heart BEFORE giving a steroid. The symptoms you describe-ie dry sneezing and somewhat laboured breathing can indicate a heart condition. Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. Personally I'd be extremely wary of her having a corticosteroid injection without further investigations. This may mean you need to leave her at the Vets as opposed to just handing her over for a quick injection.

ETA- If the steroid given is a long acting one- ie lasts about 7 days then she should not also have Metacam during time as it could potentially damage her liver and kidneys aswell as her stomach.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medic...st/Cortico.htm
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 04-05-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I'd get the Vet to have a good listen to Luna's heart BEFORE giving a steroid. The symptoms you describe-ie dry sneezing and somewhat laboured breathing can indicate a heart condition. Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. Personally I'd be extremely wary of her having a corticosteroid injection without further investigations. This may mean you need to leave her at the Vets as opposed to just handing her over for a quick injection.
    That's true actually, Atticus doesn't have the laboured breathing thing, and everything else was ruled out first. I remember you saying about rexes and heart conditions it's so difficult atm with social distancing and vet visits

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Second Jane's post, although it could be allergies or something minor, Phillip's sneezing was the first sign of his heart condition, so best to get checked out.
    Sending lots of vibes for Luna.

I guess shes breathing a bit harder than normal? her nose is twitching too much? I can't remember what the vet said tbh, I was too anxious but she could see her nose and it wasnt normal

but that's why she wants to see Luna tomorrow and do a full health check and decide properly then, have a good listen to her lungs, heart and give her a check over.

its a proper appointment, not just a drop off and get injected, hand her back type of thing. IF she is fit and healthy, and likely allergies, she'll have the steroid injection. I wouldnt want her just being injected without a checkup first tbh esp being steroids.

I'm not sure what steroid it will be - she mentioned she can't have both but she needs the metacam to help her arthritis, so I'll have to ask further tomorrow. her arthritis is probably classed as severe at this point so we need to make sure to manage that to stop any problems. Ill enquire more tomorrow

she's healthy in herself otherwise, just sneezing fits lasting for roughly 30 seconds throughout the day. at first I thought it was the hay but, it seems to happen no matter if she is face first into the hay or not

vet did mention that she has seen a lot of bunnies with allergy flare ups recently, she isn't sure why.

thank you all for your good thoughts

heart disease did cross my mind but I am indeed hoping its allergies and not letting my mind run with the idea its something serious. Im not doing well mentally so Im just trying to focus on the positive / best outcome that her sinuses are just inflamed and shell be back to normal shortly!