• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna has been sneezing // update 31st

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
had a video consult with my vet this morning, she thinks Luna has allergies :(

she’s been sneezing a lot but it’s not a snotty sneeze and she’s not wheezing. her breathing looks to be a bit heavier but she’s not favouring a nostril.

so she’s gonna have to have a steroid injection tomorrow. she’s on metacam tho and she can’t have both, so no metacam today, tomorrow (when she has the injection) but she can have it on wednesday.

we run a small risk of an upset stomach having metacam and the steroids so close together, but one we’ll have to take. she can’t stay off metacam for the 5 days suggested, it’s not fair on her arthritis and then we may end up with a gi slowdown or needing acupuncture.

hopefully she’s okay! [emoji1696]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
had a video consult with my vet this morning, she thinks Luna has allergies :(

she’s been sneezing a lot but it’s not a snotty sneeze and she’s not wheezing. her breathing looks to be a bit heavier but she’s not favouring a nostril.

so she’s gonna have to have a steroid injection tomorrow. she’s on metacam tho and she can’t have both, so no metacam today, tomorrow (when she has the injection) but she can have it on wednesday.

we run a small risk of an upset stomach having metacam and the steroids so close together, but one we’ll have to take. she can’t stay off metacam for the 5 days suggested, it’s not fair on her arthritis and then we may end up with a gi slowdown or needing acupuncture.

hopefully she’s okay! [emoji1696]

Idk if your vet would consider this, but Atticus has allergies and when they flare up he has children's piriton, my Vet worked out the dose and its liquid so easy to use and it sorts it out fine. Just a thought as you may not need to stop the Metacam then? Although I'm no expert on it and your vet might not like that idea etc. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hope Luna stops sneezing soon x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

hm, its def an idea to consider.

she's said she's had a lot of bunnies with the same symptoms, heavy sneezing but no discharge, she thinks its allergies but isn't sure why. Luna has never presented any symptoms or issues until now. she thinks the issue is her sinuses being inflamed, and the metacam isn't helping, so we need something stronger to bring that down :(

its been going on for a week and has gotten worse, its huge sneezing fits for 30 seconds or so, she gets pretty upset tbh pawing at her face. I feel awful for her.

she is in a mood not having had her metacam today....just bit me during petting her head. its gonna be a long two days.

hm, its def an idea to consider.

she's said she's had a lot of bunnies with the same symptoms, heavy sneezing but no discharge, she thinks its allergies but isn't sure why. Luna has never presented any symptoms or issues until now. she thinks the issue is her sinuses being inflamed, and the metacam isn't helping, so we need something stronger to bring that down :(

its been going on for a week and has gotten worse, its huge sneezing fits for 30 seconds or so, she gets pretty upset tbh pawing at her face. I feel awful for her.

she is in a mood not having had her metacam today....just bit me during petting her head. its gonna be a long two days.

Poor baby :( it's rough, Atticus has been having a similar thing in the last two weeks, was pawing at his nose, no discharge etc, and his front paws are clean, my hayfever is bad too, I actually think it might be the pollen or something atm. Hope she can get some relief, doesn't sound good without the Metacam though :(

Poor baby :( it's rough, Atticus has been having a similar thing in the last two weeks, was pawing at his nose, no discharge etc, and his front paws are clean, my hayfever is bad too, I actually think it might be the pollen or something atm. Hope she can get some relief, doesn't sound good without the Metacam though :(

yea its def not..ideal. we've agreed we're just gonna take the risk of an upset tummy so no metacam today, tomorrow, but she can have it back on Wednesday. I think she may murder me and my vet if she didn't have it for the 5 days recommended with steroids �� its a small risk but one they usually don't want to take - but it is what it is I guess! she's just gonna be a right menace until Wednesday.

I'd get the Vet to have a good listen to Luna's heart BEFORE giving a steroid. The symptoms you describe-ie dry sneezing and somewhat laboured breathing can indicate a heart condition. Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. Personally I'd be extremely wary of her having a corticosteroid injection without further investigations. This may mean you need to leave her at the Vets as opposed to just handing her over for a quick injection.

ETA- If the steroid given is a long acting one- ie lasts about 7 days then she should not also have Metacam during time as it could potentially damage her liver and kidneys aswell as her stomach.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

Last edited:
I'd get the Vet to have a good listen to Luna's heart BEFORE giving a steroid. The symptoms you describe-ie dry sneezing and somewhat laboured breathing can indicate a heart condition. Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. Personally I'd be extremely wary of her having a corticosteroid injection without further investigations. This may mean you need to leave her at the Vets as opposed to just handing her over for a quick injection.

That's true actually, Atticus doesn't have the laboured breathing thing, and everything else was ruled out first. I remember you saying about rexes and heart conditions :( it's so difficult atm with social distancing and vet visits :(

Second Jane's post, although it could be allergies or something minor, Phillip's sneezing was the first sign of his heart condition, so best to get checked out.
Sending lots of vibes for Luna.

I guess shes breathing a bit harder than normal? her nose is twitching too much? I can't remember what the vet said tbh, I was too anxious [emoji51] but she could see her nose and it wasn’t “normal”

but that's why she wants to see Luna tomorrow and do a full health check and decide properly then, have a good listen to her lungs, heart and give her a check over.

its a proper appointment, not just a drop off and get injected, hand her back type of thing. IF she is fit and healthy, and likely allergies, she'll have the steroid injection. I wouldn’t want her just being injected without a checkup first tbh esp being steroids.

I'm not sure what steroid it will be - she mentioned she can't have both but she needs the metacam to help her arthritis, so I'll have to ask further tomorrow. her arthritis is probably classed as severe at this point so we need to make sure to manage that to stop any problems. I’ll enquire more tomorrow

she's healthy in herself otherwise, just sneezing fits lasting for roughly 30 seconds throughout the day. at first I thought it was the hay but, it seems to happen no matter if she is face first into the hay or not [emoji848]

vet did mention that she has seen a lot of bunnies with allergy flare ups recently, she isn't sure why.

thank you all for your good thoughts [emoji4]

heart disease did cross my mind but I am indeed hoping it’s allergies and not letting my mind run with the idea it’s something serious. I’m not doing well mentally so I’m just trying to focus on the positive / best outcome that her sinuses are just inflamed and she’ll be back to normal shortly!

I guess shes breathing a bit harder than normal? her nose is twitching too much? I can't remember what the vet said tbh, I was too anxious [emoji51] but she could see her nose and it wasn’t “normal”

but that's why she wants to see Luna tomorrow and do a full health check and decide properly then, have a good listen to her lungs, heart and give her a check over.

its a proper appointment, not just a drop off and get injected, hand her back type of thing. IF she is fit and healthy, and likely allergies, she'll have the steroid injection. I wouldn’t want her just being injected without a checkup first tbh esp being steroids.

I'm not sure what steroid it will be - she mentioned she can't have both but she needs the metacam to help her arthritis, so I'll have to ask further tomorrow. her arthritis is probably classed as severe at this point so we need to make sure to manage that to stop any problems. I’ll enquire more tomorrow

she's healthy in herself otherwise, just sneezing fits lasting for roughly 30 seconds throughout the day. at first I thought it was the hay but, it seems to happen no matter if she is face first into the hay or not [emoji848]

vet did mention that she has seen a lot of bunnies with allergy flare ups recently, she isn't sure why.

thank you all for your good thoughts [emoji4]

heart disease did cross my mind but I am indeed hoping it’s allergies and not letting my mind run with the idea it’s something serious. I’m not doing well mentally so I’m just trying to focus on the positive / best outcome that her sinuses are just inflamed and she’ll be back to normal shortly!

A steroid will help with the inflammation and pain of arthritis too, so she should not need Metacam too whilst the steroid remains in her system :)

I've also used childrens piriton in rabbits so definately worth asking your vet about if it does turn out to be allergies.

A steroid will help with the inflammation and pain of arthritis too, so she should not need Metacam too whilst the steroid remains in her system :)

yeah good point - we'll have to see tomorrow!

I do hope its just something small. obviously if it doesn't clear up (its a bit worrying the metacam hasn't helped if it is sinuses......but there I go again being negative, nope, not doing that), we'll have to go for x-rays etc. but we don't wanna do that right now if it is just some inflammation or something;;

I'm lucky my allergies haven't hit me yet. she's never had an issue before (but then neither did I until a few years back). she's a bit upset at no metacam. she wants her drugs 😂

ETA- If the steroid given is a long acting one- ie lasts about 7 days then she should not also have Metacam during time as it could potentially damage her liver and kidneys aswell as her stomach.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

100% this. And if it isn’t affecting her or causing her any discomfort, I would want to wait and see what (if anything) materialised before going straight for the steroid injection.

sorry, I forgot to update, I haven’t been doing too well [emoji853]

I saw my vet as scheduled and her heart and lungs are both clear, no concerns there. her left nostril had just started to have clear snot and looked very inflamed.

despite it being unpopular I went ahead with my vets suggestion of allergies and did the steroid injection.

my concern is the sneezing fits cause her to topple over at times, and she gets quite freaked [emoji37] being arthritic she struggles to get back up after and I’m worried she’s gonna injure herself.

after the steroid the sneezing died off to just a few here or there.

it’s been exactly two weeks or just a few sneezies here and there. vet said to keep and eye as they’re not snotty and it’s just one or two a day, just a single sneeze over fits.

however coincidentally after I just opened the window she just had a massive sneezing fit and toppled over [emoji20]

it’s not realistic to keep the window shut as it gets very hot in there and allows for some airflow. it’s been ajar as it’s been cooler weather, just to allow some air. after I opened it fully though she sneezed horrifically.

I’ll be calling the vet, we did discuss children’s hay fever medication. but I’ll see when I call in a bit.

sigh :(

Chibbs just had a massive sneezing fit while I was texting my Mum and she asked if it was hayfever: with Chibbs she just had something up her nose (she was doing that lopsided almost forced sneeze). Rexes seem like a sensitive bunch and Luna's never had it easy, poor girl :( I hope you can sort her out soon :) xx

thank you [emoji4]

she’s still sneezing, she’s on allergy medication twice a day but I don’t believe it’s made a difference [emoji21][emoji21] I really was hoping it was that.

I wondered if it’s worth trying a round of antibiotics in case it’s a uri? would that do her any harm? she doesn’t show symptoms of a uri and it’s not getting worse (thankfully).

if that fails we’re onto x-rays, at that point it’s gotta either be something lodged in her nose or teeth. that or she has a case of the phantom sneezes but I really hope it’s something easily fixable [emoji17]

I really feel for her - she had a massive sneezing fit while I was calling a friend, fell over and smacked her head on the water bowl while continuing to sneeze [emoji37] i seriously worry she’s going to injure herself.

vet appointment on Friday - have to discuss what the next steps are

thank you [emoji4]

she’s still sneezing, she’s on allergy medication twice a day but I don’t believe it’s made a difference [emoji21][emoji21] I really was hoping it was that.

I wondered if it’s worth trying a round of antibiotics in case it’s a uri? would that do her any harm? she doesn’t show symptoms of a uri and it’s not getting worse (thankfully).

if that fails we’re onto x-rays, at that point it’s gotta either be something lodged in her nose or teeth. that or she has a case of the phantom sneezes but I really hope it’s something easily fixable [emoji17]

I really feel for her - she had a massive sneezing fit while I was calling a friend, fell over and smacked her head on the water bowl while continuing to sneeze [emoji37] i seriously worry she’s going to injure herself.

vet appointment on Friday - have to discuss what the next steps are

Personally I'd ask the Vet about more diagnostics such as skull radiographs (to assess tooth roots), laparoscopic examination of her nostrils (nasal polyps can cause sneezing fits) and a chest Xray, it is hard to 100% rule out a heart/lung problem just by auscultation of the chest

Personally I'd ask the Vet about more diagnostics such as skull radiographs (to assess tooth roots), laparoscopic examination of her nostrils (nasal polyps can cause sneezing fits) and a chest Xray, it is hard to 100% rule out a heart/lung problem just by auscultation of the chest

okay, thank you! I think we’re just trying the small issues to begin with over instant anaesthetic for x-rays. I’ll probably go for scheduling in skull and chest x-rays then. poor luna [emoji51]

we’re gonna go for x-rays on thursday for luna.

I only really have two options which is continuing to give steroid injections or doing an x-ray. the x-ray will hopefully determine what the issue is which could be something in her nose (unlikely tho bc it’s both nostrils not one), her teeth growing into her skull, or an infection in their sinuses that we can’t see. so we’ll have to take it from there depending on what happens.

there really is no sign of infection at all but the nose is extremely red and irritated. she looked in luna’s nose and she had a massive sneezing fit poor girl.

thursday is the earliest since monday and tuesday is super full, and wednesday my vet isn’t in so I’d rather wait till thursday (and then we have friday if she’s unwell from anaesthesia / I need to see them again for whatever reason).

it’s been noted to do chest x-rays along with the head.

really hoping for an infection in her sinuses or something in her nose over her heart, chest or teeth as those aren’t as easily fixable.

Back