• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine has eaten some plastic

Graciee

Staff member
Honestly this day just keeps getting better.. [emoji849]

She has eaten a small bit of black bin bag, circle with a diameter of max 5cm.

Do I just monitor her? Or shall I get her to an emergency vet? Idek, with Clementine she's so delicate gut wise :(

I really don't wanna stress her out, plus I won't be able to be there, and she gets mega aggressive at the vets so I really do need to be there... She gets so stressed :(

Idk what to do tbh, Atticus has done something similar and it just passed, but he ejects everything at record speed anyway [emoji21]

Anyone rational got any suggestions? :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Personally I'd keep an eye on her - I don't know what a vet would do at this stage. Rudeys vet (who I trust implicitly) said to monitor him when he chewed off the end clean off. Hope she is ok xx

Personally I'd keep an eye on her - I don't know what a vet would do at this stage. Rudeys vet (who I trust implicitly) said to monitor him when he chewed off the end clean off. Hope she is ok xx
Thanks for responding, I'm such a mess rn, I just want her to be okay :( my boyfriends so upset because he accidentally left it near her, don't think we're gunna get any sleep tonight. I hope she'll be okay and just pass it, I swear my rexes have a death wish. She so fussy, but a bin bag, oh yea that's the best apparently [emoji849] xx

I agree with this. Also make sure that she eats as much hay as possible (offer different types if you have them to keep her interested). This should hopefully help to push things through the gut and keep it moving. I hope she is okay!

I never found Rudeys syringe tip (& believe me I searched:lol:) & thats really hard plastic & he is one fragile bunny. Defo ate it as he was chewing it for ages.

Get some sleep if you can

I have had a few Rabbits who have done just that. All were 100% fine. The highly acidic environment of a Rabbit's stomach (far more acidic than other species) is likely to dissolve much of the ingested plastic and so it's less likely to cause an obstruction. Just monitor her output over the next 24-36 hours.Output being just as important as input. I am pretty certain she'll be OK :)

I never found Rudeys syringe tip (& believe me I searched[emoji38]) & thats really hard plastic & he is one fragile bunny. Defo ate it as he was chewing it for ages.

Get some sleep if you can

Omg he's so naughty [emoji38][emoji38] so glad he was okay though :)

I have had a few Rabbits who have done just that. All were 100% fine. The highly acidic environment of a Rabbit's stomach (far more acidic than other species) is likely to dissolve much of the ingested plastic and so it's less likely to cause an obstruction. Just monitor her output over the next 24-36 hours.Output being just as important as input. I am pretty certain she'll be OK :)

Thanks Jane, that's reassuring :)

Been checking on her all night, there's some output and she's still herself, so we'll just keep a super close eye I think, hopefully as you say it won't survive her gut. I just can't believe it happened, Clementine never ever tries to eat a bag, Atticus sure, but not her!

I hope you got some sleep, I’m sure she will be fine. Our German shepherds once ate a small pie, complete with foil dish. He pooped tinsel poop :lol:

I hope you got some sleep, I’m sure she will be fine. Our German shepherds once ate a small pie, complete with foil dish. He pooped tinsel poop [emoji38]
Omg [emoji38] my gsd once ate an entire trifle... That was interesting on exit [emoji849][emoji38]

Was funny, was boxing day and my nan had left this huge trifle in the other room on a low table, and the dog had gone in there and just demolished it she came back into the room we was in and I was like whys she licking her lips so much? [emoji38] Then my nan realised and ran out shouting no one be mad at the dog, and that it was her fault not the dogs [emoji38]

Thanks Jane, that's reassuring :)

Been checking on her all night, there's some output and she's still herself, so we'll just keep a super close eye I think, hopefully as you say it won't survive her gut. I just can't believe it happened, Clementine never ever tries to eat a bag, Atticus sure, but not her!

She's a Rex- the law of Rexness is if it's in reach it's edible ! :roll: :lol: John-Joe ate a bit of the corner of a vinyl floor tile the other day :roll: Thankfully he was fine, which is more than can be said for the tile !

She's a Rex- the law of Rexness is if it's in reach it's edible ! :roll: [emoji38] John-Joe ate a bit of the corner of a vinyl floor tile the other day :roll: Thankfully he was fine, which is more than can be said for the tile !

Your poor floor tile [emoji38] glad he was okay tho!

Yea it's funny she's so particular about everything, there's loads of things she just won't eat, looks at you like you've lost it if you offer them, but the bag, that's a gourmet meal apparently [emoji849][emoji38]

Omg [emoji38] my gsd once ate an entire trifle... That was interesting on exit [emoji849][emoji38]

Was funny, was boxing day and my nan had left this huge trifle in the other room on a low table, and the dog had gone in there and just demolished it she came back into the room we was in and I was like whys she licking her lips so much? [emoji38] Then my nan realised and ran out shouting no one be mad at the dog, and that it was her fault not the dogs [emoji38]

:lol:

I hope she's OK this morning. Tui often nibbles the edge of the lino in the shed without any problems afterwards.

Hope C will be fine. They're terrible for biting through plastic bags so they probably ingest some when they do this. Try to keep them all out of the way.

Thanks everyone, she's still nomming hay so I'm trying to chill more, I spent the night on the sofa in the living room where she lives, I just wanted to make sure she didn't start throwing herself down like she has done in the past when she was uncomfortable, I always worry she could really hurt herself. But she's still bright and eating hay, and she was bothering me in the night so normal Clementine stuff :) hopefully we've got away with it.

While under my "care" my parents dog ate a whole bag of modelling balloons - that made for some colourful poops I can tell you

A pleasing update- glad she seems fine

While under my "care" my parents dog ate a whole bag of modelling balloons - that made for some colourful poops I can tell you

A pleasing update- glad she seems fine

[emoji38][emoji38]

We should have a thread "things my dog ate" [emoji38]

Modelling balloons are long too [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Yea she's still trucking along, I hope nothing changes

Back