• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’ve been looking for a friend for Jelly and I’ve been offered a male/female bonded pair. 4 years old, neutered, vaccinated etc. I feel like it would be more sensible to just get one male but I’m not sure. I’m really wary of getting another rabbit so making any kind of decision feels really difficult, so I’m sorry for asking you what do you think?

I agree with you that probably a single male to bond with her would be a simpler option. However, I’ve never had a trio, only pairs and a quad so I can’t advise from actual experience.

I'm my experience my trio's have been 'rocky', my first trio was 2 boys and a girl and the boys had a big falling out after being happily bonded for a good few months so had to be separated. My recent trio is 2 girls and a boy, one of the girls is a bully and sadly causing problems so are separated atm buy she is due tests for leftover spay tissue. Plenty of people do have successful trio's but they may be more likely to have fall outs, may need rebonding or even separating further down the line so a pair would be a safer option

I think it would be very difficult and you may end up with the bonded pair fighting through referred aggression as well as them fighting with Jelly. Could equal 3 separate rabbits.

Personally in the current situation I would not be taking on any more Rabbits or any other Pets. When things get back to a bit more like the old 'normal' then I'd look to adopt a single male Rabbit as a companion for Jelly. IME trio bonds are never as close or reliable as a couple x

I think you are more likely to achieve a successful bond with a neutered buck, so I would wait if it were me.

Just to be clear I am of course not looking to get any pet during lockdown. I am well aware of the situation, any new pet would be after lockdown. Thanks I’ll look for a single male rabbit

Just to be clear I am of course not looking to get any pet during lockdown. I am well aware of the situation, any new pet would be after lockdown. Thanks I’ll look for a single male rabbit

I didn’t think for a minute that you intended to look until after the end of lockdown. I think I saw a thread about the other shed in your garden - what did you decide to do? It may not have been you, of course, such is my addled, lockdown brain.

I’ve decided against it, my Dad is my go to for garden advice and he doesn’t think the shed would be any good, it turns out it leaks and I’ve seen there’s a hole in the back from what I think is a naughty mouse! I’ve blocked the hole up and I’m keeping an eye on it but I just don’t want Jelly in there. I felt like if I went for an adult that was already vaccinated (or that I could get vaccinated before putting him in the shed) then that would be the best idea. It really worries me but I’ve stopped using anything that could be too harsh in the shed, such as cleaning products and cleared it out so all that’s in there is the rabbits things and a fridge freezer which can’t be moved but it’s blocked off. Jelly was running around the garden today binkying which was lovely but normally she just seems so quiet and sad, she doesn’t eat a great deal and she just sits

imo it might be a bad idea to attempt to introduce a pair. if bonding is unsuccessful you may end up with a separate single bun and a pair.

it does sound like Jelly desperately needs a friend though. my Pepper was a single bun for a while after his friend died & he seemed fine but i'm so glad I got him a partner. he really came alive.

Last edited:
Back