• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccine Reaction

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Has anyone's bunny ever developed a mild limp post Eravac vaccine. Suzy has always had Filavac until today as my vets aren't doing vaccines. She was vaccinated at 12 and at 5pm I've noticed her front leg looks lazy. She is weight bearing and bombing around as normal. I ask as I've noticed it contains mineral oil and in the old days my vet ordered me an alternative as many of my buns limped after Cylap.

Has anyone's bunny ever developed a mild limp post Eravac vaccine. Suzy has always had Filavac until today as my vets aren't doing vaccines. She was vaccinated at 12 and at 5pm I've noticed her front leg looks lazy. She is weight bearing and bombing around as normal. I ask as I've noticed it contains mineral oil and in the old days my vet ordered me an alternative as many of my buns limped after Cylap.

Eravac is an oil based vaccine, just like Cylap. It took years before the manufacturers of Cylap admitted that a post vaccination limp may occur and finally added it to the list of possible adverse reactions on the advice leaflet.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...T-PLEASE-READ*-U-D-21st-April&highlight=cylap

So in my unqualified opinion it is highly likely that Eravac may cause a post vaccine limp too. An adverse reaction to the oil base as opposed to the active ingredient. The limp should resolve over 48 hours, but you may want to call the Vet and ask about giving Suzy some Metacam for a couple of days. The last thing she needs is pain induced gut stasis too.

This is the Eravac data sheet and thus far there is no mention of a post vaccination limp, but as I said, it was the same with Cylap :roll:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/docume...UVUytPmXZeCGzb4kFHC96NrWprnnxg55FUoQAcz-QCgg8

Ive just noticed 2 more of 5 vaccinated are limping mildly this morning that's too much of a coincidence for me.

Oh no, my three have all had Eravac with no side effects. As Jane said a limp is not on the data sheet as a side effect, but sounds like it should be. Hope your buns recover quickly, may be worth making your vets aware?

Thanks both. I've spoken to the vet and we are going to keep an eye to see if it resolves. He was really grateful for the feedback. No one else has reported issues but it is an extremely subtle limp and its entirely possible other owners may not have noticed.

Thanks both. I've spoken to the vet and we are going to keep an eye to see if it resolves. He was really grateful for the feedback. No one else has reported issues but it is an extremely subtle limp and its entirely possible other owners may not have noticed.

It took a couple of years before the Manufacturers of Cylap finally added 'Post Vaccination Limp' as a 'Very Rare' adverse reaction. IME it was not 'very rare' at all!!

Yes me too. It took me forever to get my vet to order me in lapinject for my worst affected. Thankfully this does not seem anywhere near as severe! I don't miss those days at all, even the vet remarked that when I contacted him he thought he'd gone back in time!

Just to update all the affected rabbits have recovered within 48hr post vaccine.

Great news !! Personally I'd opt for Filavac until the new triple Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus is available. Vaccines in an oil base can be really nasty. If the person giving the Vaccination accidentally stabs themselves in a finger with the needle they could end up losing said finger ! :shock:

Incase you have not seen it here's the info re the new triple Vaccine

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/ahp/rabbit-introducing-myxo-RHDplus

Thanks all, yes we always use filavac but there was a shortage so vet got in eravac as I was concerned about them being unvaccinated. I only just missed the new one as it as its due imminently.

And yes many years ago I left a vet as a new hire nearly stabbed me with the vacinne, whats worse was that the practice managers made out I was being melodramatic when I complained about how dangerous that could of been.

Back