• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dehydrator advice needed

weedug

Mama Doe
My garden is full of lovely lush weeds that a little bunny would love, so I was thinking of drying some for when I get a bun and to do throughout the year, as well as foraging locally. I wondered if anyone has a dehydrator to dry greens for their bunnies? Are they worth getting?

Also, when the greens are dried, what is the best way to store them?

My garden is full of lovely lush weeds that a little bunny would love, so I was thinking of drying some for when I get a bun and to do throughout the year, as well as foraging locally. I wondered if anyone has a dehydrator to dry greens for their bunnies? Are they worth getting?

Also, when the greens are dried, what is the best way to store them?

I dont have a dehydrator and I dont dry fresh veg, but I dry fresh forage/fresh herbs on an open mesh base (part of my laundry airer !! ) that is in direct sunlight for much of the day. I turn the forage frequently and it dries out thoroughly really quickly. I then store it in either a cardboard box or a hessian sack :)

I dry fresh herbs, I just lay them out on parchment paper on a baking tray in oven. I put them in on 150 fan for about 15 mins, then switch off but just leave them in there to continue drying. They should just be crispy, then let them cool and store in an empty cereal box, with a couple of holes made in it. I've done this with parsley and coriander, and raspberry leaves when in season. They go down well with Treacle :D
Not sure about weeds though, not tried that.

I recommended LEM Products 1153 is an 800-watt unit with a four-way rotation of trays. It contains a drip tray unlike most of the dehydrators which prevent dripping here and there dehydrating mint leaves is so easy for this dehydrator.

If you go down the oven route, don't try to dry cowsparsley. It'll stink the house out something horrid for at least a week!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back