• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trauma to eye

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I have posted.

Yesterday we noticed that Snowy's (aged 9/9 and half) right eye looked very sore and she had barely touched her nuggets overnight. Took her to the vets straight away where she was seen and examined by our normal rabbit savvy vet.

Turns out that she seems to have suffered some kind of trauma to her eye - we have no idea how she has done it or what has caused it but because it was swollen and very painful, hence the reluctance to eat. The vet kept her in yesterday to monitor, give fluids, pain relief and syringe food and we brought her back home yesterday evening and syringe fed her during the night. She has nibbled some hay and kale of her own accord, but we try not to give too much of the latter as we don't want her to get gas.

This morning we gave her the eye drops - she has to have two different kinds as well as 0.75ml of metacam, however she seemed very lethargic and just not herself so we took another trip to the vets and when picking her up t put her in the carry case we noticed a lump on her chest/stomach.

The vet has increased her metacam dosage to 1.25ml twice a day as well as 0.25ml of tramodyl (sp?) twice a day and has advised us to keep syringe feeding her but her gut sounds normal/good. It seems that her eye is so painful that attempting to chew anything like hay or nuggets makes it even worse.

Teeth are ok, there are a few small spurs but nothing that protruding into the tear duct/ eye.

The lump on her chest/stomach they think may be an abscess but the priority at the moment his her eye. The vet that saw her today said the pressure in her eye was good, but they cannot see past the first layer of the eye as there is so much blood. So it may be that if there is no improvement by Monday we have to consider having her eye removed and at the same time they would drain/ cut out the abscess.

Her other eye is fine and we have one bunny with a cataract which he can basically no longer see out of (he's 12-13 years old) so we know she could cope with one eye and we'd rather she wasn't in pain and distress. Guess I'm just worried about her getting through the next 48 hours, the prospect of surgery and we can't figure out how she did it.

To make things worse, we have had a bereavement in the family and the funeral is on Tuesday so it will be very tricky for us to administer care to her.

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I have posted.

Yesterday we noticed that Snowy's (aged 9/9 and half) right eye looked very sore and she had barely touched her nuggets overnight. Took her to the vets straight away where she was seen and examined by our normal rabbit savvy vet.

Turns out that she seems to have suffered some kind of trauma to her eye - we have no idea how she has done it or what has caused it but because it was swollen and very painful, hence the reluctance to eat. The vet kept her in yesterday to monitor, give fluids, pain relief and syringe food and we brought her back home yesterday evening and syringe fed her during the night. She has nibbled some hay and kale of her own accord, but we try not to give too much of the latter as we don't want her to get gas.

This morning we gave her the eye drops - she has to have two different kinds as well as 0.75ml of metacam, however she seemed very lethargic and just not herself so we took another trip to the vets and when picking her up t put her in the carry case we noticed a lump on her chest/stomach.

The vet has increased her metacam dosage to 1.25ml twice a day as well as 0.25ml of tramodyl (sp?) twice a day and has advised us to keep syringe feeding her but her gut sounds normal/good. It seems that her eye is so painful that attempting to chew anything like hay or nuggets makes it even worse.

Teeth are ok, there are a few small spurs but nothing that protruding into the tear duct/ eye.

The lump on her chest/stomach they think may be an abscess but the priority at the moment his her eye. The vet that saw her today said the pressure in her eye was good, but they cannot see past the first layer of the eye as there is so much blood. So it may be that if there is no improvement by Monday we have to consider having her eye removed and at the same time they would drain/ cut out the abscess.

Her other eye is fine and we have one bunny with a cataract which he can basically no longer see out of (he's 12-13 years old) so we know she could cope with one eye and we'd rather she wasn't in pain and distress. Guess I'm just worried about her getting through the next 48 hours, the prospect of surgery and we can't figure out how she did it.

To make things worse, we have had a bereavement in the family and the funeral is on Tuesday so it will be very tricky for us to administer care to her.

Gosh, I am very sorry to hear about your Bunny and also of your recent bereavement :cry:

With regards to Snowy's eye injury. Sometimes something as simple as a sharp stalk of hay/straw can be the culprit. That said, has the Vet ruled out the possibility of a Retrobulbar Abscess- an abscess behind the eye ? Is the eye protruding at all ? Retrobulbar Abscesses are often associated with advanced Dental disease involving the tooth roots. This condition cannot be diagnosed/ruled out without skull radiographs/CT scans

These links give some information about Retrobulbar Abscesses, some do contain some graphic images

https://haleveterinaryhospital.co.uk/eye-abscesses/#1533537743226-d5e38f23-2837

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Clinical/Eye_diseases.htm

https://www.unusualpetvets.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Retrobulbar-Problems-in-Rabbits.pdf

https://haleveterinaryhospital.co.uk/eye-abscesses/#1533537743226-d5e38f23-2837

Keeping food going into Snowy will be important to avoid secondary gut stasis. So you may need to continue syringe feeding her for some time. If her poo output is minimal then you will need to contact the Vet again ASAP to ask if Snowy should also be prescribed prokinetics ( gut motility meds). I she is to have a GA then it is especially important that her GI tract is ticking over as well as possible.

Once again, my sincere condolences for your recent bereavement :cry:

Thank you.

We initially thought that it may have a bit a of hay but given the way the vet is describing the injury he seems to think she has knocked/hit it although there is no bruising or anything around the eye itself - she's only had some clear / white discharge which seems to lessened since having the medications.

The eye isn't protruding at all, but she hasn't had a radiograph/CT scan as of yet - if it was advanced dental disease causing an abscess would it come on suddenly or is it something over time?

We have metroclopmide in the house as well as zantec but she does seem to passing things through and she has nibbled some kale and hay this afternoon but we will continue with the syringe feeding.

She is cleaning herself occasionally and put her paws in her water bowl by accident then had a good old clean and is a bit resistful when trying to get meds and food into her.

Just awful to see her in this state and having to deal with everything else!

Thank you.

We initially thought that it may have a bit a of hay but given the way the vet is describing the injury he seems to think she has knocked/hit it although there is no bruising or anything around the eye itself - she's only had some clear / white discharge which seems to lessened since having the medications.

The eye isn't protruding at all, but she hasn't had a radiograph/CT scan as of yet - if it was advanced dental disease causing an abscess would it come on suddenly or is it something over time?

We have metroclopmide in the house as well as zantec but she does seem to passing things through and she has nibbled some kale and hay this afternoon but we will continue with the syringe feeding.

She is cleaning herself occasionally and put her paws in her water bowl by accident then had a good old clean and is a bit resistful when trying to get meds and food into her.

Just awful to see her in this state and having to deal with everything else!

Retrobulbar abscesses can develop very quickly, sometimes literally overnight. Maybe Snowy got startled by something and in a panic accidentally ran into a hard surface such as a wall ? That said, given the lack of other external injury it seems more likely the the problem is coming from within. That's just a guess though. I am not a Vet/VN.

I really hope that she will improve in response to all her treatment and nursing care.

You certainly have a lot to cope with at the moment :cry:

I’m so sorry for your loss :cry: sending lots of vibes for your bunny. I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise xx

Thank you for the responses.

We have just given her another feed but she was very resistful to it, trying to jump all over the shop and turning her head away so she's obviously got some strength but thinks she has startled herself as she is sitting very still now - she's moved a little bit think she's worried about being interfered with again.

I managed to have a closer look at her eye and it seemed to be a little better so fingers crossed that everything is moving in the right direction.

Thank you for the responses.

We have just given her another feed but she was very resistful to it, trying to jump all over the shop and turning her head away so she's obviously got some strength but thinks she has startled herself as she is sitting very still now - she's moved a little bit think she's worried about being interfered with again.

I managed to have a closer look at her eye and it seemed to be a little better so fingers crossed that everything is moving in the right direction.

I hope so x

Just a bit an update on Snowy.

We gave her about 10-15ml of syringe food this morning but then noticed she was gradually grazing on some hay so we went out with some scissors to cut some grass and dandelion leaves. She has been devouring these all like crazy and has continued to nibble on hay.

She was getting excited for nuggets when we were feeding the other buns so I gave her 10g which she was immediately nibbling. She's still got a few left but it is good to see and hear her munching on her own.

Cleo one of my other rabbits gave me a bit of a fright earlier -she did go for her nuggets straight away but when I popped out about an hour later she seemed to still have quite a few left but I gave her some kale and hay which she was chomping down on.

Popped out a little while ago and she was nibbling her remaining nuggets.

I just hate being so sensitive to their eating habits and we have been through so much with all of our buns - stasis, conjunctivitis, abscess, ear infection/head tilt, teeth spurs to name but a few!

Bunnies do like to worry us :roll: :lol: I’m glad Snowy seems to be on the mend now :thumb:

Just a bit an update on Snowy.

We gave her about 10-15ml of syringe food this morning but then noticed she was gradually grazing on some hay so we went out with some scissors to cut some grass and dandelion leaves. She has been devouring these all like crazy and has continued to nibble on hay.

She was getting excited for nuggets when we were feeding the other buns so I gave her 10g which she was immediately nibbling. She's still got a few left but it is good to see and hear her munching on her own.

Cleo one of my other rabbits gave me a bit of a fright earlier -she did go for her nuggets straight away but when I popped out about an hour later she seemed to still have quite a few left but I gave her some kale and hay which she was chomping down on.

Popped out a little while ago and she was nibbling her remaining nuggets.

I just hate being so sensitive to their eating habits and we have been through so much with all of our buns - stasis, conjunctivitis, abscess, ear infection/head tilt, teeth spurs to name but a few!

Glad to hear that Snowy is improving :)

Re Cleo, with Bunnies monitoring poo output is always a good idea. Small poo/less poo often happens before the Rabbit actually stops eating. So you can act quickly before that happens . What comes out of Bunny is just as important as what goes in :)

Glad to hear that Snowy is improving :)

Re Cleo, with Bunnies monitoring poo output is always a good idea. Small poo/less poo often happens before the Rabbit actually stops eating. So you can act quickly before that happens . What comes out of Bunny is just as important as what goes in :)

Most definitely I am a little obsessive of what goes in and what is coming out. Everything seems normal for Cleo in terms of output. Touch wood!

*****UPDATE********

So we thought the eye drops and pain relief were working, but she went for a check up today and the pressure in her eye is pretty much non existent so she will be having it surgically removed on Thursday.

Pirate rabbit at the ready

*****UPDATE********

So we thought the eye drops and pain relief were working, but she went for a check up today and the pressure in her eye is pretty much non existent so she will be having it surgically removed on Thursday.

Pirate rabbit at the ready

Oh I am sorry, I hope the op' goes well for her xx

Best wishes for the operation: Aboleth only had one eye but could still outsmart us if we weren't careful :lol: It's a somewhat complicated procedure but there are plenty of long-lived one-eyed bunnies out there :)

******UPDATE******

Sadly Snowy passed away whilst she was in recovery and when bringing her round from GA. The operation had all gone well and the vet has been back through all the procedures to make sure everything was as it should. It just seems it was too much for her at 9 and half years of age.

Sleep tight and pinky free you white fluffball xxx

******UPDATE******

Sadly Snowy passed away whilst she was in recovery and when bringing her round from GA. The operation had all gone well and the vet has been back through all the procedures to make sure everything was as it should. It just seems it was too much for her at 9 and half years of age.

OMGosh, how tragic :cry: I am so very sorry :cry:

RIP Snowy :cry:

******UPDATE******

Devastating news :cry: I am so sorry. Sleep tight Snowy xxx.

I’m so very sorry :cry: you did everything you could for her. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Snowy xx

Back