• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Out door hutch

destinieg7

New Kit
i have 2 bunnies and one of them has 9 babies and we are bringing them home but they are only in a hutch witch is farley big but i will be letting them inside to hang and letting them play outside i am a first bunny owner and i have lots of question also they will be outside during the night is it safe

Hello and welcome. My first question is Mum and Dad separated so she won't get pregnant again? Foxes are always a problem if your garden isn't really safe. Is it possible for you to buy a shed for all these bunnies?

I agree with Tonibun. Outdoor bunnies are always at risk of predators, as well as extreme temperatures, and are at higher risks of health conditions such as GI stasis going undetected for longer which is often fatal. Is it possible for you to house your bunnies indoors instead? At the very least I’d recommend a shed for safety and health purposes, if your bunnies has to be outside, as hutches are far too small for rabbits and do not provide them with enough mental or physical stimulation. Rabbits are extremely intelligent animals and need their mental and physical needs to be met which 99% of hutches alone do not allow for. Please do as much research as you can into sufficient housing for rabbits, diet (80% grass hay) and health conditions which commonly affect rabbits such as GI stasis as early intervention and prevention is key.

Sorry but a hutch isn't suitable for one bunny let alone 9 babies. As they grow they will need more and more space - secure space. Have you considered how you will meet their needs as they grow? How will you keep male and female separate to prevent more babies? Lots of unneutered rabbits are likely to fight, particularly if they don't have enough space. It sounds like you may need help to remove some of these buns to leave you with a more manageable number, do you have a shelter or rescue you can contact for support?

I’m not sure whether I’m reading this right, are you bringing eleven new rabbits into your family? If so that is quite a commitment, have you worked out the cost of vaccinating and neutering them all? And for several ‘housing set ups’ for them to all live in? You won’t be able to keep in a group of eleven. As others have said, a large hutch even with an attached run isn’t big enough for two rabbits, let alone more. You really need to be looking at a large shed, with twenty four access to an attached secure run.

at the moment our house is not safe for the bunnies but were working on it and when there older they most likely will be in the house but i couldn't say for sure. the male bunnies will be neutered. once they are neutered i don't think we will have to worry. We have a big family and already have great homes for the bunnies we are just waiting for them to be big enough

im not keeping all of the bunnies were keeping one and the male and female the rest were making sure they are going to great homes.

im trying really hard to bring them in but my house is huge and i cant risk my bunnies getting hurt. there diet is really good thanks i will be looking into that

at the moment our house is not safe for the bunnies but were working on it and when there older they most likely will be in the house but i couldn't say for sure. the male bunnies will be neutered. once they are neutered i don't think we will have to worry. We have a big family and already have great homes for the bunnies we are just waiting for them to be big enough

I’m glad to hear you are re-homing most of the babies, as others have mentioned, 11 bunnies is a lot to handle and they require much space and attention. However, I’m just going to pick up on a few things. It’s a good thing that you are going to neuter the male(s) to prevent any further litters, however the female MUST be spayed/de-sexed also for her own health. By the age of 5, unspayed female rabbits have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer which is often fatal. Therefore, please get your bunny spayed. If you need help with this financially then please reach out to your local rabbit rescue and/or see if your vet will work with you to reduce the cost of the spay if possible. If you are hoping that the three rabbits you keep will live together, then ALL of them must be neutered/spayed. Also, there is also a chance that the bunnies you keep may not bond if the baby is not neutered earlier enough, and the fact that some bunnies just do not do well in trios as it all depends on their personalities. Definitely do your research into bonding and behaviours to watch out for to ensure the bond remains strong. Finally, ensure that their living space is very secure as rabbits are great escape artists, and that you provide them with sufficient space. I’d argue that a ‘standard’ hutch is too small for any rabbit, especially not 3 rabbits, and would strongly recommend again that you look into getting a shed instead, which is more secure, will provide better shelter, and more space. If you have any further questions then feel free to put them on this thread/start a new one and I’m sure people would be happy to help.

Back