• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits hate me

I got 2 female rabbits nearly a year about 2/3 weeks ago now, and im struggling to get them to like me. I know it hasn’t been very long but basically they free roam and they live in my bedroom and they have like there own corner but they won’t leave ever ! While feeding them they will let me get an occasional pet on the head but they always run away every time they sniff me of finish eating. In their last home, (about 7 months) they also free roamed but I don’t think they got much attention or food ! They didn’t use litter and only had about 3 toys. I think that they weren’t picked up very much out of precaution, also they had A young child so I think when they did have attention they may have just been being grabbed...I bought everything they have new , I’m trying really hard! I try hand feeding them green beans banana etc in small portions through the day in between meals , but as soon as they are done they run right away again. The more dominant rabbit especially seems to dislike me, she’s so unbothered by me with everything I try , I try sitting and talking and lying near them , she won’t even come near me. I just really wanted pets that like me and I’m finding it hard having rabbits who will wake me up at 9am but won’t even let me pet them. I haven’t even tried picking them up yet, only out the travel case. When I got my guinea pigs I felt a pretty instant bond within the first few days definitely but my rabbits only let me even touch them for the first time a few days ago and even then it was only because I was temping them with carrot! Sorry I wrote a lot I just need some ideas on what to do with them and how to get them to trust me !

Last edited:
This sounds very normal for rabbits. Being prey animals they need loads of time to start trusting us humans, we have to be very patient, and even then some bunnies still keep their distance. You say you have 2 females, have they both been spayed as if not they could start fighting and if they were spayed it might help them to become more friendly. When we have rabbits it has to be on their terms, one of the best ways to get them to come to you is to sit on the floor with a book say and let them come over in their own time. Don't try picking them up as they won't like it. Have you been onto the Rabbit Welfare Association's website? It has loads of information about rabbits, what to feed etc.

Yes I agree with Tonibun, patience is the word ! Sounds like your buns may have had a bit of a bad experience in their former home, so they are bound to be wary, it's in their nature. Just sit quietly at their level and let them get used to you. Once they realise you are not a threat, hopefully they will come closer and perhaps allow a little stroke, bearing in mind not all bunnies like being touched. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I agree with the advice you have been given. Hopefully in time they will learn to trust you, on their own terms.

I don’t have any extra advice but just wanted to let you know that you aren’t alone! We have two females, they came from a petting zoo which has clearly traumatized them to some extent as they’re the most terrified rabbits I’ve ever owned. I can only assume they think when you come over that you’re going to pick them up and it scares them. We’ve had them since the end of last year and they are slowly learning to trust us, partly helped by our other rabbit as they see him being stroked etc. but it’s a long journey ahead. It will be worth it though. Keep persevering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, yes both of the bunnies have been sprayed at some point last year , I understand they do take a while to settle it just seems they really don’t like me😫 I have checked out a load of threads on what to feed them as I usually buy veg for the pigs and rabbits to share . I just have been trying to temp them with a few sweet things ! However I will give it it a look for some more information! I think I find it abit harder because when I was younger I had a rabbit and she was really cuddly however that might of just been how I saw it ! Is it normal for them to still be pretty shy then I’m not really sure how long it usually takes
Thankyou for all the advice

Last edited:
It depends on the rabbits and their previous experiences with humans. Being indoors should help them to become more friendly but don't give sweet treats as this can make them ill. Their favourite is grass if you can find some fresh-looking grass and a couple of Dandelions. A long time is needed for some rabbits to trust you.

Hi, I had the same problem with my adopted female bun. It took me around 2 months to get her to warm up to me, but sometimes she still will run away from me and hide. The way I did it was through laying on the floor with treats (like kale or small pieces of apple) in my hands or on my chest and letting her come to me to get the treats and ignoring her, so I was not forcing any contact. Over time I think she associated me with treats and will now regularly come up to me and climb on my lap, she's still not too keen on pets, but some rabbits just don't like being petted. Best of luck, hope it turns out well!

with my rabbit he wasn't very bonded to me either at first, and would mostly ignore me and wouldn't want me to pick him up but after improving his cage and letting him free roam a lot he started licking me and even licks me when I pick him up

Your bunnies are having to adjust to alot of changes in their lives. Like us, they are emotional and for your bunnies, they've been used to one life already - and we're not sure what that was like, and now they are in a new home, new surroundings, new smells and of course, new humans. For your rabbits, this is emotional overload right now and their base instinct is kicking in - to protect and withdraw.
Your bunnies won't know the time as such - they are very much habbit animals and will be active more at dusk and dawn because of their genetic make up. Rabbits take time to trust hoomans - some will learn quicker, others may not really trust to that degree. One of my bunnies - Lillian, whom we've had for over 2 years now, still doesn't trust me to that degree, but this is largely due to her past care before we rescued her.
Patience is very much the key here - and spending time every day with your bunnies will pay dividends for you. They will become acustomed to your voice, your smell and how you behave and interact. They need to know you as much as you needto know and understand them. Sitting reading a book near them is a good ploy, and have a few nommy treats with you - some people use small apple slices or banana, I have found dried cranberries work wonders for me. Rabbits will associate you over time with someone who is kind towards them and who gives nommy treats. They will slowly trust you and realise you are not a threat to them - but you are someone who provides and cares for them.
Your bunnies will realise that they have a safe and caring environment and begin to relax their tension and aprehension and slowly form a bond with you.

Back