• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on pending vet trip

That does look similar (but that photo worse). Pooor baby. Thanks JJ

That's OK. Good idea to get the Boobly ( ta for the heads up A !!) out as if it is Uveitis it can be painful. There are eye drops that can be prescribed to reduce the pain and inflammation xx

Last edited:
Mmm, if there's other things starting to cause even only slight concern, it's definitely worth the longer trip :) Worth giving the car a good onceover beforehand?

I leave mine at home all the time. I travel a fair distance and mine get so stressed in the car. Plus some of mine look alike and at the moment I can't expect a vet to fo a consult without me present and know who is who.

I leave mine at home all the time. I travel a fair distance and mine get so stressed in the car. Plus some of mine look alike and at the moment I can't expect a vet to fo a consult without me present and know who is who.

I took 8 rabbits (4 pairs) couple of weeks ago and only 7 needed vaccinating. They asked for notes on the carriers - I found out very late in the proceedings that my labels wouldn't stick to the carriers! So it wasn't as organised as it should have been. I didn't know which vet was doing the honours so I was very descriptive on the labels (they are all microchipped as plan b). I described Eclipse as 'black' and Solar as 'sunshine-colour", I hope that gave the vet a laugh.

Yeah I switch it around all the time dependent on which buns are ill, which need peer support, who travels badly. I'd love Mouse to have some support from Rudey as she is my most nervy bun but its too risky for him. Most of my buns leap in to my arms from the consult table. Do you think vets have vet nurses to help them during consult?

When I booked them in I said I'd write any concerns for each rabbit & was told no need. I will though, can't see how it could be anything other than helpful.

Yeah I switch it around all the time dependent on which buns are ill, which need peer support, who travels badly. I'd love Mouse to have some support from Rudey as she is my most nervy bun but its too risky for him. Most of my buns leap in to my arms from the consult table. Do you think vets have vet nurses to help them during consult?

When I booked them in I said I'd write any concerns for each rabbit & was told no need. I will though, can't see how it could be anything other than helpful.
I absolutely would make a list of concerns too, it's a long way to go not to. I meant to mention that Solar felt to have lost weight but Becky picked up on it herself. I think they would have to have a nurse for the dental examination- my crew definitely had their teeth checked.

They'll need an extra pair of hands: you can't ram an otoscope into most bunnies' mouths without someone to help!

I absolutely would make a list of concerns too, it's a long way to go not to. I meant to mention that Solar felt to have lost weight but Becky picked up on it herself. I think they would have to have a nurse for the dental examination- my crew definitely had their teeth checked.

I have an essay written up on each:lol: It makes no sense for vets to do it all on exam when how they live & manage on a daily basis is crucial info. Plus Becky needs to be reminded Mousey is a nervous biter ! and will freak if she's not on a towel. I hope she gets to have Lauren or someone as a temporary mum

Urm. I think it said here somewhere about whether anything significant is found during the health check.. I am currently sitting outside Crab Lane vets while Olly is X-rayed - Becky has found"a mass in his cranial abdomen" (most likely liver). I had zero health concerns when I bought him for vaccination. Bloods are also being sent to the lab.

Last edited:
Urm. I think it said here somewhere about whether anything significant is found during the health check.. I am currently sitting outside Crab Lane vets while Olly is X-rayed - Becky has found"a mass in his cranial abdomen" (most likely liver). I had zero health concerns when I bought him for vaccination. Bloods are also being sent to the lab.

I'm so sorry BB. I hope its something that can be resolved. good that Becky is on the ball. loads of vibes for Olly xx

Oh dear, that was my comment :oops: I'm so sorry and send lots of vibes for Olly. I hope it's not too serious.

Oh dear, that was my comment :oops: I'm so sorry and send lots of vibes for Olly. I hope it's not too serious.

I always thought the same! I like to have a rabbit-savvy vet do the vaccinations "just in case" there is anything to find. In about 16 years of rabbit ownership, I can only think of the one instance when FHB found an abscess in Erin's jaw, other than that I don't think anything major has been found ... before now.

Olly's x-ray showed an enlarged liver that was pushing his stomach over. After originally saying as he was eating and well in himself, after the x-ray Becky has decided to keep him in to keep an eye on him and do any further investigations as necessary. In-house bloods aren't showing anything alarming, he doesn't have jaundice.

I always thought the same! I like to have a rabbit-savvy vet do the vaccinations "just in case" there is anything to find. In about 16 years of rabbit ownership, I can only think of the one instance when FHB found an abscess in Erin's jaw, other than that I don't think anything major has been found ... before now.

Olly's x-ray showed an enlarged liver that was pushing his stomach over. After originally saying as he was eating and well in himself, after the x-ray Becky has decided to keep him in to keep an eye on him and do any further investigations as necessary. In-house bloods aren't showing anything alarming, he doesn't have jaundice.

Does she have an idea whats caused it? Poor boy, I hope he recovers

My buns vet trip has been postponed as car won't go - new battery on order so hoping that resolves it

Does she have an idea whats caused it? Poor boy, I hope he recovers

Thanks. Not as yet (apologies, I inadvertently hijacked your thread). When she did the x-ray she seemed convinced it was his liver, from the ultrasound she was a querying a little if it was something in his digestive system but it is the size of a golf ball, which is pretty big for a bunny abdomen, he's a 2kg bunny, so on the small side. I think she said it's a mobile lump. She's quite baffled by it but when she first found it I think she was having déjà vu about liver torsions so wanted to investigate fully so she could take action if needed. I'm so glad we have her on our bunnies' team. I started getting déjà vu as when Benji was admitted he had an enlarged liver and I lost him to RHD2, though he did have some underlying longstanding liver disease I knew nothing about and that was responsible for the swelling and realistically also responsible for his death but I had a rush of panic re RHD2.

I got given a HUGE bag of dandelions to take home as Allison had been weeding at the weekend:D. When Becky decided to admit Olly and companion she asked for a handful of dandelions returning for them :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back