• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to forum and bunnies!

dld20

New Kit
Hi all!

New to the forum and bunnies having taken in two rabbits from an elderly lady who can't cope with them in Lockdown (and probably not after).

Here are: Munchies (black & beige colour) & Oreo (black with white bib and feet)
IMG_20200411_100715%20(1).jpg

IMG_20200424_163606.jpg
IMG_20200408_190004.jpg

IMG_20200408_185959.jpg
IMG_20200422_165745.jpg

Any advice on breed would be useful, as we know very little about them other than:
  • These were rescue rabbits, she had them for a couple of years so likely 3-4 years old
  • Munchies is Female (brown/beige), Oreo is Male (dark brown with white bib and feet) and they've both been spayed
From what we understand, they've not been registered with a vet, so probably not had any innoculations, which we'll sort out as soon as our local vet is open.

We don't think they've been handled much as they're still shying away if we try picking up. On the other hand, they're happy to be stroked and nuzzled, and in return they'll lick my nose and ears (tell me if this is a good or bad habit to encourage!!). Nails are a little long, but again, they've never been checked out and don't seem to be in any discomfort, so I'm hoping the run of the garden will keep them ok until we can get to the vets/groomers. When they're comfortable with being handled I'll try trimming with the pet scissors.

We think they're Rex, although the hairs seem a little long. Any ideas?

Dave

Welcome to the forum. I've moved this into Rabbit Chat for you as there are quite a few rabbit-related questions. :)

Hello dld20, Oreo & Munchies :wave: :D. welcome :)

it's good they like strokes.
many bunnies don't like being picked up too much - but lots are ok with it too :lol:

they deffo need their vaccinations. mixy is rife atm. mine are having theirs done on Friday. my vets is open, albiet with restrictions / limited contact.
they will need mixy, vhd1 & vhd2. mixy & vhd1 is a combined vac. vhd is a separate vac. they are usually done with a couple of weeks separation between the 2 injections.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I've moved this into Rabbit Chat for you as there are quite a few rabbit-related questions. :)
Thanks, I realise I'd forgotten to separate that into two posts, one for intro and another for questions!

Thanks, I realise I'd forgotten to separate that into two posts, one for intro and another for questions!
No problem.

I'd check with your vet re vaccinations as I believe the guidance was adjusted recently so that rabbit vaccinations can still be given.

I would think they are both cross breeds but the grey one is Chinchilla colouring. They look very healthy. Why not have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website for all kinds of great advice. If you join the RWA you will receive a magazine every month all about Rabbits, their health issues and much more.

Hello :) Your new Bunnies are lovely. Neither are Rexes, they are both cross breeds.

Most Rabbits are not keen on being picked up. In the wild the only time a Bunny is lfted of their feet is when they are about to be a predators dinner. Pet Rabbits retain some of this fear instinct. But many Rabbits enjoy interaction with their human friends (slaves ! :lol:) if the Rabbits can remain on terra firma. So sitting on the floor with them and allowing them to approach you and climb over you will help build their trust. Obviously there are times when handling is essential such as for health checks/grooming/nail clipping etc.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund has a vast amount of very useful information about all Rabbit related matters :D

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Hi and welcome to the Forum [emoji3]
Many vets are remaining open for rabbit vaccinations, it is worthwhile giving the vets a call, there is always a risk with unvaccinated buns
Do you have a good bunny vet near you?

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. Always a good way to get our attention is an opening post with gorgeous bunny photos. And they are beautiful.
I echo the advice from my fellow RU'ers about innoculations.
So, apologies if I'm duplicating any advice but here's what my thoughts are for you and Oreo and Munchies:- Firstly, register with a vet asap. At present, this isn't going to be easy - registering should be do-able but an actual consultation might be tricky depending on where you are and what your vets current corona situation is. But as these are an unknown history pair of bunnies, then a vet should really give both an initial health check and also book for vaccines. The vacines should be a couple of weeks apart. If you can, try and find a rabbit savy vet. But don't worry if you can't.
Theihr claws should be clipped back - an experienced vet will do this - probably as part of their health check. Also they'll need to have teeth checked and ears (mites). They look in good condition so look very well looked after. I'd also ask your vet about rear guard (anti fly strike product) just to be on the safe side, and also possible treatment of panacaur as a definate priority.
As a rule of thumb, bunnies don't really like being picked up but if you can get them used to being handled, then it's always a positive. The fact they like being stroked and lick you is a huge plus. That shows trust and if they lick you then they like you - it's a sign of love in bunny language. Grooming them is good if you can. A nice soft brush and you'll have them all over you.
Treats or rewards are always a good way to win over your bunnies. Personally I find dried cranberries a good way to get your bunny melting at your feet.
Hope this helps and please have a look around the forum and join in when you like. And more bunny photos please.:love:
Craig

Welcome to you and your lovely bunnies. Oreo looks like he is a mixed breed with Dutch rabbit bloodlines.

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: Munchies and Oreo are gorgeous :love: you’ve been given great advice already :thumb:

Back