• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouse floor

Hi, just had my rabbits new playhouse delivered and was thinking is there anything you recommend doing with the floor? I also have some Cuprinol paint on the way it’s pet safe so was thinking of painting this on the floor as well as the outside

You could stain the floor but I would recommend getting some non slip vinyl flooring for it or some rubber matting. Much easier to keep clean then.

Hi, just had my rabbits new playhouse delivered and was thinking is there anything you recommend doing with the floor? I also have some Cuprinol paint on the way it’s pet safe so was thinking of painting this on the floor as well as the outside

I would get an off-cut of lino and put that down. It's what we did with the rabbit shed and it's very easy to keep clean. Carpet shops, when they re-open, will usually have a selection of cheap off-cuts.

I would paint the floor and then fit it with some lino - preferably so it just goes slightly up at the edges (and is fastened to stop it being chewed), so it can be disinfected properly. Bare wood is very difficult to clean properly. Rabbits are quite prone to the EC parasite which is shed in the urine of an infected animal. Urine soaks into unpainted wood. Anything that makes it easier to disinfect when needed is a bonus, and is much easier to design in with new housing. It also makes daily spot-cleaning much easier.

Painting the walls will also make them easier to wipe down, particularly in the splash zone (bottom 2' or so). I have used leftover household emulsion paint for this before. It doesn't have to cost much, and doesn't take long to do, but the benefits are definitely worth it. You can also get creative with the inside, depending on what paint you have - the rabbits won't mind the new artwork.

I have always put lino down and was shocked at how well the floor had kept when I sold one of my sheds as I wanted a bigger one. I'd had it about 8 years.

You might want to bead the edges as well: our secondhand playhouse thankfully came with pre-fitted lino and I never stuck it down but I beaded all round the edges:

11252496_10101597105885798_3657385160681557508_o.jpg

11265612_10101597105895778_2636718693360358479_o.jpg

Back