• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit keeps getting stiff and screams then seems fine

Hi my rabbit escaped and mated with a wild rabbit but she keeps eating her litters so we saved this litter there is only one left now but she keeps getting stuff and if I pick her up she screams so I just rub her and it stops but her legs look paralyzed but then that stops too I am feeding her kitten formula and she has a heat lamp I do not know what is wrong
Does anyone know what to do

Hello and welcome to the forum.

How many litters has your rabbit had? Does that mean she is regularly escaping and mating with a wild rabbit/s or is she getting pregnant from her offspring once old enough? Eother way, having back to back litters if very bad for the mother. This may be the reason she is eating her litters, she is not strong enough to raise another litter, is stressed out, knows the offspring will not survive are just some of the reasons which need looking at to increase your rabbits welfare.

As for the baby, how old is she? Screaming in rabbits occurs only when they are in extreme pain or stress, have you consulted a vet about this? Sounds like she may be having a seizure? I would film it and consult your vet, depending on your location your vet may be operating differently due to Covid-19 outbreak so a phone consult may be the first step and sending in the recording of the 'episode' may be very helpful in getting a diagnosis. Also I'd make sure the rabbit isn't getting too hot, is she being hand reared indoors? I've only hand reared one litter that was left outside my vets with no mother and none of my research I'd done suggested they need a heat lamp.

Hi my rabbit escaped and mated with a wild rabbit but she keeps eating her litters so we saved this litter there is only one left now but she keeps getting stuff and if I pick her up she screams so I just rub her and it stops but her legs look paralyzed but then that stops too I am feeding her kitten formula and she has a heat lamp I do not know what is wrong
Does anyone know what to do

Given the current situation re Covid 19 you may find it somewhat more difficult to access Veterinary attention for the Kit in the time scale needed. But I would advise you to at least try to speak with a Veterinary Surgeon straight away.

You may also find some useful advice on these links :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

https://www.jwoodvet.co.uk/rearing-orphan-rabbit-kittens/

http://britishwildlifehelpline.com/Rearing Rabbits.html

Back