• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are walnuts safe for bunnies?

cocobunbun

New Kit
i brought some treats for my lil bun, but i read that nuts and seeds arent safe for them. this was in a store brought snack-

Pea flakes (60.3%), graminaceous seeds, canary grass seed, nettle (5.3%), buckwheat, parsley (1.9%), carrot 1.9%, hemp seed, linseed, fennel seed, peppermint (1.5%), dandelion (1.2%), black cumin seed, vegetable starch, peas (0.4%), celeriac (0.3%), walnut (0.3%) , lovage (0.3%), apple (0.2%), hibiscus, elderberries (0.2%), pumpkin (0.2%), daisies (0.2%), violets, strawberries (0.2%) (all as dried ingredients). Protein 18.2%, crude fat 4.6%, crude fibre 7.4%, crude ash 4.3%, sodium 0.017%.

are they safe for my rabbit?

Walnuts are not toxic to Rabbits but they are very high in fat and likely to cause digestive disturbances. A Rabbit's digestive tract does not cope with food very high in fat or carbohydrates and the problems that can develop can become very serious. Personally I would avoid feeding treats containing nuts

You can find lots of 'natural' safe Bunny treats on this site :)

https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/?bot_test=1

I agree with what JJ has said. A lot of the treats from pet shops etc intended for rabbits I wouldn’t feed my rabbits. I stick to forage, Apple or pear tree branches, and fibafirst sticks and good quality hay and my rabbits love them all.

It's a treat. It's just 0.3% walnut - close to nonexistent, just adds a tang of flavour. No problem whatsoever.
They can stomach some rich stuff, but pet bunnys don't need it.

As a treat, that nuggets don't look that bad. It's not meant to be a staple food. It's highly processed junkfood, Rabbit McDonalds, and there are a lot of options for cheaper and actually healthy treats.

Last edited:
Back