• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed rabbit hutch

Danni30

Young Bun
After reading through the forum last night I'm absolutely loving the idea of converting a shed for our new additions
I did look at a playhouse also
I wasnt with my husband when I had my ferrets but I made them a penthouse with loft conversation and 5 levels of play with built in ball pool.
the biggest I can go is 5x5 ft as I want to put it in the childrens play bit and eventually put a petting seat in there so they can sit with them would this be ok for 2 rabbits
Does anybody want to share some of there rabbit shed so I can try and steer him x

Last edited:
After reading through the forum last night I'm absolutely loving the idea of converting a shed for our new additions
I did look at a playhouse also
I wasnt with my husband when I had my ferrets but I made them a penthouse with loft conversation and 5 levels of play with built in ball pool.
the biggest I can go is 5x5 ft as I want to put it in the childrens play bit and eventually put a petting seat in there so they can sit with them would this be ok for 2 rabbits
Does anybody want to share some of there rabbit shed so I can try and steer him x

Hi, I’m glad you are considering using a shed/playhouse over a hutch. However, 5x5ft too small for two rabbits. The recommendations vary but for two rabbits the minimum tends to be 6x8ft. However, I’d also argue that this does not provide enough space for them and they need an area outside of this for ‘playtime’ and to get exercise. Rabbits need exercise to exhibit natural behaviours such as binkying and zooming which requires space.

If 5x5ft is the biggest you can go outdoors have you considered if you could have your bunnies as house rabbits? In my opinion, free roaming a rabbit indoors is the best option as it provides them with the necessary space and human interaction rabbits need. However, I understand completely free roaming a rabbit isn’t always possible in which case bunny proofing a room or providing a suitable sized x pen are also good options.

As for the children’s’ ‘petting seat’ I’d also be careful with this. Rabbits are prey animals and so in most cases do not like being held, as their feet are no longer on the ground which goes against their natural fight or flight instincts; causing them to become very stressed. Rabbits require a lot of time, patience, and attention and so I would never recommend a rabbit as a ‘child’s pet’ for this reason. Yes, a child can spend time with a rabbit under supervision but as far as handling (specifically picking up) I’d avoid this, as this could lead to serious injury and death if the rabbit were to be dropped or even just scramble and get away.

I think 5 x 5 would be fine if they do that size. I have a 5 x 4 playhouse and my 2 have enough space. I also have a 7 x 5 shed which is a good size. It also depends on the breed of rabbit, a large rabbit would need more space. There are examples of housing in the Housing Section also on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website. You can have opening windows as well, or take a window out and mesh the area.

5 x 5 would be fine for 2 rabbits :) The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund recommends an inside space no smaller than a 6ft x 2ft hutch= 12 square feet for 2 rabbits. 5 x 5 is 25 square feet so it’s much better. You would however need to attach a run to the shed. It doesn’t have to be right next to it, you can attach with tunnels using a run around system. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just ordered this one for them https://www.gardenchic.co.uk/pixie-playhouse-with-mini-veranda-and-2-windows-p817 my plan is to leave the windows with the glass in and put wire behind so the windows can be left opened but closed when weather is bad and looking to add a run to the front that can be detached to get access to the inside.
My plan would hopefully be to add some ramps in tunnel form so they done fall and hurt them selfs inside to different platforms at a later date.
Oh gosh no I would never let the kids hold them just incase but just so they can sit there a stroke them and feed them if they wanted to.

I have just ordered this one for them https://www.gardenchic.co.uk/pixie-playhouse-with-mini-veranda-and-2-windows-p817 my plan is to leave the windows with the glass in and put wire behind so the windows can be left opened but closed when weather is bad and looking to add a run to the front that can be detached to get access to the inside.
My plan would hopefully be to add some ramps in tunnel form so they done fall and hurt them selfs inside to different platforms at a later date.
Oh gosh no I would never let the kids hold them just incase but just so they can sit there a stroke them and feed them if they wanted to.

That will be lovely for them. Will be perfect with the run attached and all the levels [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lovely playhouse. There are some great ideas on how to fix an enclosure to a playhouse on the RWA's website.

I have a tiny playhouse (4x4 externally) and I've put two stools and a windowsill (doubles as a human adult seat ;P) in there: they love sitting on the windowsill. It is covered in fluff at the moment! I also put a door on so I could shut them in and stop them going out into the run and other places, so I could catchth thnem for vet visits easier :)

11406690_10101626006708318_865207382879081167_o.jpg

10506937_10101626008185358_6945177737763536358_o.jpg

12792156_10101897520452598_4794736095691316876_o.jpg

13669477_10102099211656808_347754447198462879_o.jpg

We connected our playhouse to a run, then to a tiny hutch, and later a dogcrate (not shown), and they have access to the lawn when we're home and it needs mowing ;P Mostly through tubes!

11143511_10101897520886728_4138833607129386864_o.jpg

I have a tiny playhouse (4x4 externally) and I've put two stools and a windowsill (doubles as a human adult seat ;P) in there: they love sitting on the windowsill. It is covered in fluff at the moment! I also put a door on so I could shut them in and stop them going out into the run and other places, so I could catchth thnem for vet visits easier :)

11406690_10101626006708318_865207382879081167_o.jpg

10506937_10101626008185358_6945177737763536358_o.jpg

12792156_10101897520452598_4794736095691316876_o.jpg

13669477_10102099211656808_347754447198462879_o.jpg

We connected our playhouse to a run, then to a tiny hutch, and later a dogcrate (not shown), and they have access to the lawn when we're home and it needs mowing ;P Mostly through tubes!

11143511_10101897520886728_4138833607129386864_o.jpg

Wow you bunnies have lots of space they must love it.
I'd quite happily do loads of tubes and stuff but I was shocked when I said I was getting a playhouse that my other half said yes but i think he"d draw the line there unfortunately 😞.
I saw your hay thing on a post last night when I was looking at ways to do hay feeders I must say i think I'll be pitching your idea lol also what have you used as flooring inside it is it just the wood x

Wow you bunnies have lots of space they must love it.
I'd quite happily do loads of tubes and stuff but I was shocked when I said I was getting a playhouse that my other half said yes but i think he"d draw the line there unfortunately ��.
I saw your hay thing on a post last night when I was looking at ways to do hay feeders I must say i think I'll be pitching your idea lol also what have you used as flooring inside it is it just the wood x
So, the hay rack is a window box: this one was from Homebase but I've seen similar in B&M, the little :censored:/darlings do sit on it though :lol: The floor is vinyl. My playhouse was secondhand so came with it. You can usually source offcuts of the right size or so from carpet shops. I've put some wooden quarter-circle batten all the way around and didn't need to stick it down.

So, the hay rack is a window box: this one was from Homebase but I've seen similar in B&M, the little :censored:/darlings do sit on it though :lol: The floor is vinyl. My playhouse was secondhand so came with it. You can usually source offcuts of the right size or so from carpet shops. I've put some wooden quarter-circle batten all the way around and didn't need to stick it down.

Will have to have a look in b and m when were out of all this.
I notice you have boarded the playhouse I'm hoping to do this to help it last a little longer and help stop them chewing the wood. did you insulate behind it or will it be warm enough without which I dont mind doing but dont have a clue when it comes to ventilation and dont want it to sweat , go mouldy and cause them respiratory problems x

I have a 9 yr old playhouse which has never been boarded but you can, I have lino on the floor, and the bunnies have never chewed the wood as they always have plenty of hay. A playhouse gives the rabbits far more protection from the elements and from predators than a hutch can ever do. Are you putting it on slabs?

I put 1" polystyrene sheets behind the ply :) I also put reflective radiator film on the roof, with the shiny side facing outwards, because the playhouse is in full sun half the day. Mine is situated on concrete but to ameke sure it lasts a few more years it's jacked up on bricks :) Especially important given the condition it arrived in :)

I have a 9 yr old playhouse which has never been boarded but you can, I have lino on the floor, and the bunnies have never chewed the wood as they always have plenty of hay. A playhouse gives the rabbits far more protection from the elements and from predators than a hutch can ever do. Are you putting it on slabs?
Aw ok might not board it then I'll see how much board I have and see if I have enough if not wont bother lol
There house will be on decking but will have a floor in it so the wont be on that and I'm hoping to put slabs under there run as decking isn't safe at all .
another option was artificial grass but not sure that's safe havent done my research as far as that yet.
So would most probably be slabs

Rabbits have been known to chew artificial grass so I would rather not chance it if it were me. It looks nice though.

I boarded my rabbit shed as I didnt want to risk chewing. Lino on the floor. They also have a doorless hutch in there for extra cosiness. They often lie on top of it!

5 x 5ft is a great size and a playhouse is perfect for bunnies, they will definitely need a run attached to that though :)

Back