• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny in the garage?

So lately my parents have been wanting to put my bunny in the garage instead of inside.....they do NOT like animals in the house. Is it okay for my Woolly Jersey to be in the garage with cars? It does have windows, but where she would be would be dimly lit. I can't change their minds..... Hope that thats okay. Its either garage, or outside and it get really hot in the summer and cold in the winter so i'd prefer her to be indoors........

A set up with a large run in a garage unused by cars for 2 or more rabbits would be ok, but not for a single rabbit on his or her own, if a rabbit is a single rabbit then it should only ever be kept as a house rabbit with plenty of human company. In your situation, as there are cars in the garage it would not be a good idea either as the rabbit will be subjected to fumes and noise from the engines which will be harmful and very frightening.

A set up with a large run in a garage unused by cars for 2 or more rabbits would be ok, but not for a single rabbit on his or her own, if a rabbit is a single rabbit then it should only ever be kept as a house rabbit with plenty of human company. In your situation, as there are cars in the garage it would not be a good idea either as the rabbit will be subjected to fumes and noise from the engines which will be harmful and very frightening.

I agree with this, the poisoning from car fumes & loneliness would be my main concern

I've always read rabbits should not be kept in garages used by cars, as above due to the fumes which may make her very sick. Also good point about the noise.

Rabbits typically cope well with cold providing they are given enough care, ie an insulated shed, plenty of bedding areas, heat safe sources such as snugglesafes and a bonded rabbit friend so they can snuggle for warmth. However rabbits don't cope well with heat and are at risk of heat stroke, so your country may be too hot for a rabbit outdoors.

So lately my parents have been wanting to put my bunny in the garage instead of inside.....they do NOT like animals in the house. Is it okay for my Woolly Jersey to be in the garage with cars? It does have windows, but where she would be would be dimly lit. I can't change their minds..... Hope that thats okay. Its either garage, or outside and it get really hot in the summer and cold in the winter so i'd prefer her to be indoors........

I also would say that putting the rabbit in a garage with cars would not be a good option, for the reasons others have already mentioned, however, I’d also say that putting a rabbit outside would be even worse (predators/extreme temperatures/isolation) as well as the problem of noticing health concerns early on such as GI stasis which can be fatal if not treated quickly.

I personally would do as much research as you can to show your parents why housing your bunny indoors is necessary. Such reasons include not subjecting your rabbit to loneliness, and the necessity of human company, among spotting health concerns fast, the danger of car fumes and noise in the garage, as well as ensuring that the rabbit is provided with sufficient space to exercise. Some would argue that if it was your parents who got you the rabbit in the first place, then it is their responsibility to ensure it has a good quality of life. Although, this could be seen as a harsh approach in which case, I’d also question WHY exactly your parents do not want the bunny in the house. Is it because they are not litter trained and causing a mess? Destroying things? Smell? All of which can be prevented, rabbits can easily be litter trained not to make a mess, rooms can be bunny proofed to prevent damage, and a well kept rabbit whose living space is kept clean does not smell. Try to understand their perspective and demonstrate how the ‘problems’ could be resolved.

I also would say that putting the rabbit in a garage with cars would not be a good option, for the reasons others have already mentioned, however, I’d also say that putting a rabbit outside would be even worse (predators/extreme temperatures/isolation) as well as the problem of noticing health concerns early on such as GI stasis which can be fatal if not treated quickly.

I personally would do as much research as you can to show your parents why housing your bunny indoors is necessary. Such reasons include not subjecting your rabbit to loneliness, and the necessity of human company, among spotting health concerns fast, the danger of car fumes and noise in the garage, as well as ensuring that the rabbit is provided with sufficient space to exercise. Some would argue that if it was your parents who got you the rabbit in the first place, then it is their responsibility to ensure it has a good quality of life. Although, this could be seen as a harsh approach in which case, I’d also question WHY exactly your parents do not want the bunny in the house. Is it because they are not litter trained and causing a mess? Destroying things? Smell? All of which can be prevented, rabbits can easily be litter trained not to make a mess, rooms can be bunny proofed to prevent damage, and a well kept rabbit whose living space is kept clean does not smell. Try to understand their perspective and demonstrate how the ‘problems’ could be resolved.

I completely agree with this!!

Back