• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inconsistent wet nose and inconsistent weepy eye

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi guys. Me again!

Bluebell has come to the end of her 2 week course of abx for pneumonia. We might keep her on the abx for a few days just to make sure she's fully over it.

I have a call with the triage nurse today from the vets (I have to speak to them before I'm allowed to speak to a vet) because I'm worried about Bramble. She's started with a wet nose and weepy eye. However, it's not constant. It's every now and then. Her eye is not red inside or out (she has had conjunctivitis before and it doesn't look like that).

I'm worried she's caught pneumonia from Blue. The vet told me that Blue wasn't in the viral stage, it was very early days and it was bacterial and not spreadable but I'm really worried about Bramble now.

Is there another common cause of the wet nose?

I'm nervous we might need a vet visit. The last time Bramble went to the vet she nearly died because on returning home, refused to eat and needed to be hospitalised in the end due to not eating. She despises the vets. I dread taking her, even just for the vacs but she just about manages with those. I think the problem is when she's already not feeling well, the trip to the vets just tips her over the edge.

It doesn't help that our local practice is closed and the only one is a 30 minute drive away :cry: she's definitely not going to take well to that.

I'm in a real pickle with it all.

Sorry for the rant :oops: Essentially I'm asking whether there's any other cause of a wet nose/weepy eye

Thanks

ETA: 8 years old, spayed female, lives with Blue, not showing any other symptoms. Has been binkying around on the grass and eating/drinking/pooping as normal

Hi guys. Me again!

Bluebell has come to the end of her 2 week course of abx for pneumonia. We might keep her on the abx for a few days just to make sure she's fully over it.

I have a call with the triage nurse today from the vets (I have to speak to them before I'm allowed to speak to a vet) because I'm worried about Bramble. She's started with a wet nose and weepy eye. However, it's not constant. It's every now and then. Her eye is not red inside or out (she has had conjunctivitis before and it doesn't look like that).

I'm worried she's caught pneumonia from Blue. The vet told me that Blue wasn't in the viral stage, it was very early days and it was bacterial and not spreadable but I'm really worried about Bramble now.

Is there another common cause of the wet nose?

I'm nervous we might need a vet visit. The last time Bramble went to the vet she nearly died because on returning home, refused to eat and needed to be hospitalised in the end due to not eating. She despises the vets. I dread taking her, even just for the vacs but she just about manages with those. I think the problem is when she's already not feeling well, the trip to the vets just tips her over the edge.

It doesn't help that our local practice is closed and the only one is a 30 minute drive away :cry: she's definitely not going to take well to that.

I'm in a real pickle with it all.

Sorry for the rant :oops: Essentially I'm asking whether there's any other cause of a wet nose/weepy eye

Thanks

ETA: 8 years old, spayed female, lives with Blue, not showing any other symptoms. Has been binkying around on the grass and eating/drinking/pooping as normal

It may be that she has the start of an upper respiratory tract infection, but there are other possibilities too such as Dental problems or allergies. Is she moulting at the moment ? A Rabbit in heavy moult can sometimes get runny eyes and consequently a runny nose due to lots of fur getting into the eyes. I am assuming the 'wet nose' is just clear fluid, not actual whitish mucus ? Is she sneezing ? Is the fur on the inner sides of her front paws wet/sticky (from constantly wiping her eyes/nose) ?

Have you noticed any increase in her respiratory rate/effort ?

It may be that she has the start of an upper respiratory tract infection, but there are other possibilities too such as Dental problems or allergies. Is she moulting at the moment ? A Rabbit in heavy moult can sometimes get runny eyes and consequently a runny nose due to lots of fur getting into the eyes. I am assuming the 'wet nose' is just clear fluid, not actual whitish mucus ? Is she sneezing ? Is the fur on the inner sides of her front paws wet/sticky (from constantly wiping her eyes/nose) ?

Have you noticed any increase in her respiratory rate/effort ?

Thanks Jane. Moulting - no different to usual. They're very, very heavy moulters. I can't have them on my knee for a few seconds without being absolutely covered in the stuff! But that's normal for them.

Fluid is clear from her nose and eyes.

Front paws not sticky.

Not noticed any sneezing and her breathing is normal. I've been very, very keen eyed on the breathing as that's how we first spotted the disease in Bluebell.

Bramble has become a lot more vocal recently. She despises being handled and picked up. Due to the nice weather, they've been moved around twice a day to different parts of the garden so she's been handled a lot more frequently. She grunts and sometimes squeaks when being picked up. But I put this down to her being annoyed rather than ill. She grunts when stomping sometimes too so it seems to only be when she's angry or annoyed. She never makes any noise when she's happy / normal.

ETA there is a small lump above her right eye. Feels kind of like a wart. Only noticed it recently so unable to confirm if it's growing.

Back