• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grieving for his sister

chezza145

Young Bun
Hi all. 2 days ago beautiful Willow (white one) developed stasis and deteriorated quickly. I found her in her hutch unable to move but still breathing. I rushed her to the vet - thankfully just up the road - and had to hand her over on the doorstep. She didn’t respond to treatment and within an hour the vet called and said there was no hope. I am heartbroken. I got her and her brother, Bramble, from a rescue 6 months ago. They were only just 2. I am an experienced bunny owner and didn’t notice anything wrong before the collapse! I feel so guilty for not noticing.

Bramble is unusually quiet, which I expected. I brought him in the first night and let him hop around the front room and sleep in his indoor cage. He enjoys being inside usually so I think he was just excited. I let him out into the garden yesterday and he seemed to spend quite a while looking for her. I made him some toys and activities and he seemed to be ok. I brought him in again last night and he was still inquisitive. But this morning he just didn’t want to do anything. I opened his cage and he wouldn’t come out. I took him out and he just hopped back in. Finally he came out to the garden but he’s just sat for most of the day. He’s eaten a few bits, he’s not interested in any toys or treats and he doesn’t want strokes. I just feel so bad for him. He never did anything unless she had done it first. We used to joke that she was the tester because he wouldn’t even jump up on the garden chair until she had done it!

Any advice on how to help him? How will I know if he needs another bun? And when? I feel so sad for him xx
1c28b971cde5a323d6c2c9be8b2ae606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. 2 days ago beautiful Willow (white one) developed stasis and deteriorated quickly. I found her in her hutch unable to move but still breathing. I rushed her to the vet - thankfully just up the road - and had to hand her over on the doorstep. She didn’t respond to treatment and within an hour the vet called and said there was no hope. I am heartbroken. I got her and her brother, Bramble, from a rescue 6 months ago. They were only just 2. I am an experienced bunny owner and didn’t notice anything wrong before the collapse! I feel so guilty for not noticing.

Bramble is unusually quiet, which I expected. I brought him in the first night and let him hop around the front room and sleep in his indoor cage. He enjoys being inside usually so I think he was just excited. I let him out into the garden yesterday and he seemed to spend quite a while looking for her. I made him some toys and activities and he seemed to be ok. I brought him in again last night and he was still inquisitive. But this morning he just didn’t want to do anything. I opened his cage and he wouldn’t come out. I took him out and he just hopped back in. Finally he came out to the garden but he’s just sat for most of the day. He’s eaten a few bits, he’s not interested in any toys or treats and he doesn’t want strokes. I just feel so bad for him. He never did anything unless she had done it first. We used to joke that she was the tester because he wouldn’t even jump up on the garden chair until she had done it!

Any advice on how to help him? How will I know if he needs another bun? And when? I feel so sad for him xx
1c28b971cde5a323d6c2c9be8b2ae606.jpg

I am really sorry for your loss :cry: Firstly, I assume that both of your Rabbits were/are fully vaccinated ( 2 separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ) ? Is Bramble's poo output OK ? Does he feel unusually hot or cold to touch ?

All Rabbits grieve in individual ways. Usually keeping to their normal routine helps them to feel secure. Some new toys can help as a distraction, as you have found. Some Rabbits appreciate having a soft toy to snuggle with, as long as Bunny is not a chewer. I really hope that Bramble will perk up soon. But if he is no better by tomorrow and/or he is still not eating much I'd contact the Vet again for advice. Especially so if your Bunnies were/are not vaccinated against RHD2.

I am really sorry for your loss :cry: Firstly, I assume that both of your Rabbits were/are fully vaccinated ( 2 separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ) ? Is Bramble's poo output OK ? Does he feel unusually hot or cold to touch ?

All Rabbits grieve in individual ways. Usually keeping to their normal routine helps them to feel secure. Some new toys can help as a distraction, as you have found. Some Rabbits appreciate having a soft toy to snuggle with, as long as Bunny is not a chewer. I really hope that Bramble will perk up soon. But if he is no better by tomorrow and/or he is still not eating much I'd contact the Vet again for advice. Especially so if your Bunnies were/are not vaccinated against RHD2.

Hi,

Yes, they both were fully vaccinated in October, they had their first one at the rescue, then I took them for their 2nd. I put a soft toy in his indoor cage with him but he’s not been near it. He’s not pooped as much as normal but then he’s not eaten as much. Although I did manage to tempt him with some carrot earlier. He has eaten bits but he’s just not really bothered. He’s just not interested in anything really. He went in the hutch earlier and had a look round but hasn’t been back in it all afternoon. Usually they would be in and out all day. Don’t know if I’m reading too much into it - the weather has been quite warm today but breezy, maybe he’s just been sheltering from the wind. He’s been under the trampoline most of the day!

I just feel so sorry for him. I don’t know whether to bring him in again tonight. Or whether to start looking for a wife. Or when the right time would be, if at all. I have bonded pairs before but never following a death.

Thanks xx

Hi,

Yes, they both were fully vaccinated in October, they had their first one at the rescue, then I took them for their 2nd. I put a soft toy in his indoor cage with him but he’s not been near it. He’s not pooped as much as normal but then he’s not eaten as much. Although I did manage to tempt him with some carrot earlier. He has eaten bits but he’s just not really bothered. He’s just not interested in anything really. He went in the hutch earlier and had a look round but hasn’t been back in it all afternoon. Usually they would be in and out all day. Don’t know if I’m reading too much into it - the weather has been quite warm today but breezy, maybe he’s just been sheltering from the wind. He’s been under the trampoline most of the day!

I just feel so sorry for him. I don’t know whether to bring him in again tonight. Or whether to start looking for a wife. Or when the right time would be, if at all. I have bonded pairs before but never following a death.

Thanks xx

If at all possible I would definitely look at adopting a friend for him. Although in the current situation re Covid 19 this may not be too easy. In the meantime he may be happier as a House Bunny. He will have a lot more company and you will be able to keep a closer eye on his behaviour/input and output x

If at all possible I would definitely look at adopting a friend for him. Although in the current situation re Covid 19 this may not be too easy. In the meantime he may be happier as a House Bunny. He will have a lot more company and you will be able to keep a closer eye on his behaviour/input and output x

Ive been watching him all day, either in the garden with him, through the window or on ZooCam. I’ve adopted several bunnies from the same rescue over the years (and a cat!). They still have all my home check paperwork so I don’t think that would be a problem, and the lady there knows the set up I have for them. It’s just knowing when is the right time. Would it make him happy doing it now or would it make things worse. I just don’t know. He’s always been the quieter of the two - Willow was far more inquisitive and daring than Bramble. He just did whatever she did! And she was definitely the more dominant of the two. I feel like he’s a little bit lost. Like he doesn’t know what to do without her. [emoji22]

Ive been watching him all day, either in the garden with him, through the window or on ZooCam. I’ve adopted several bunnies from the same rescue over the years (and a cat!). They still have all my home check paperwork so I don’t think that would be a problem, and the lady there knows the set up I have for them. It’s just knowing when is the right time. Would it make him happy doing it now or would it make things worse. I just don’t know. He’s always been the quieter of the two - Willow was far more inquisitive and daring than Bramble. He just did whatever she did! And she was definitely the more dominant of the two. I feel like he’s a little bit lost. Like he doesn’t know what to do without her. [emoji22]

Well maybe see how he gets on over the next week or so and perhaps have a chat with the Rescue. I do know that many, many Rescues are currently not rehoming or taking in Pets at the moment.

I’m so sorry you lost Willow :cry: sending lots of vibes for Bramble. Jane has given you good advice :thumb:

He’s out in his hutch. But now I feel bad he’s on his own. Don’t know if I should go and get him [emoji24]

Big hugs: it's never easy :( I was lucky: Lopsy knew Aboleth wasn't coming home and spent his short second batchelorhood doing his lazy Lopsy thing. It's so much harder when they are sad too :( Best of luck. I went for as soon as possible xx

I am sorry for your loss. I would ring the Rescue and as they know you they might have a suitable female for your boy if you explain how unhappy he is.

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. We lost a much loved bunny yesterday too and I logged on to ask a similar question to you. It’s so hard seeing the surviving bunny out of sorts isn’t it. Putting a soft toy in the hutch is a good idea, I’ll try that whilst we try and find another rabbit to try and bond with. Hope things work out for you soon.

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. We lost a much loved bunny yesterday too and I logged on to ask a similar question to you. It’s so hard seeing the surviving bunny out of sorts isn’t it. Putting a soft toy in the hutch is a good idea, I’ll try that whilst we try and find another rabbit to try and bond with. Hope things work out for you soon.

I am very sorry that you lost one of your Bunnies too :cry:

He’s out in his hutch. But now I feel bad he’s on his own. Don’t know if I should go and get him [emoji24]

Personally if it is likely to be several weeks before you are able to adopt a friend for him I would bring him indoors and see how he gets on living as a House Rabbit. I dont think any Rabbit should be kept outdoors alone and as this awful Covid 19 situation could make adopting a friend for him something that cannot happen for a relatively long time I think being indoors with more human company would probably be the best thing for him x

Sorry for your loss too. It is so hard. Just want to be able to talk to him and explain. Best wishes

I’m so sorry :cry:

Back