Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Grieving for his sister

  1. #1

    Default Grieving for his sister

    Hi all. 2 days ago beautiful Willow (white one) developed stasis and deteriorated quickly. I found her in her hutch unable to move but still breathing. I rushed her to the vet - thankfully just up the road - and had to hand her over on the doorstep. She didnít respond to treatment and within an hour the vet called and said there was no hope. I am heartbroken. I got her and her brother, Bramble, from a rescue 6 months ago. They were only just 2. I am an experienced bunny owner and didnít notice anything wrong before the collapse! I feel so guilty for not noticing.

    Bramble is unusually quiet, which I expected. I brought him in the first night and let him hop around the front room and sleep in his indoor cage. He enjoys being inside usually so I think he was just excited. I let him out into the garden yesterday and he seemed to spend quite a while looking for her. I made him some toys and activities and he seemed to be ok. I brought him in again last night and he was still inquisitive. But this morning he just didnít want to do anything. I opened his cage and he wouldnít come out. I took him out and he just hopped back in. Finally he came out to the garden but heís just sat for most of the day. Heís eaten a few bits, heís not interested in any toys or treats and he doesnít want strokes. I just feel so bad for him. He never did anything unless she had done it first. We used to joke that she was the tester because he wouldnít even jump up on the garden chair until she had done it!

    Any advice on how to help him? How will I know if he needs another bun? And when? I feel so sad for him xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chezza145 View Post
    Hi all. 2 days ago beautiful Willow (white one) developed stasis and deteriorated quickly. I found her in her hutch unable to move but still breathing. I rushed her to the vet - thankfully just up the road - and had to hand her over on the doorstep. She didnít respond to treatment and within an hour the vet called and said there was no hope. I am heartbroken. I got her and her brother, Bramble, from a rescue 6 months ago. They were only just 2. I am an experienced bunny owner and didnít notice anything wrong before the collapse! I feel so guilty for not noticing.

    Bramble is unusually quiet, which I expected. I brought him in the first night and let him hop around the front room and sleep in his indoor cage. He enjoys being inside usually so I think he was just excited. I let him out into the garden yesterday and he seemed to spend quite a while looking for her. I made him some toys and activities and he seemed to be ok. I brought him in again last night and he was still inquisitive. But this morning he just didnít want to do anything. I opened his cage and he wouldnít come out. I took him out and he just hopped back in. Finally he came out to the garden but heís just sat for most of the day. Heís eaten a few bits, heís not interested in any toys or treats and he doesnít want strokes. I just feel so bad for him. He never did anything unless she had done it first. We used to joke that she was the tester because he wouldnít even jump up on the garden chair until she had done it!

    Any advice on how to help him? How will I know if he needs another bun? And when? I feel so sad for him xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am really sorry for your loss Firstly, I assume that both of your Rabbits were/are fully vaccinated ( 2 separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ) ? Is Bramble's poo output OK ? Does he feel unusually hot or cold to touch ?

    All Rabbits grieve in individual ways. Usually keeping to their normal routine helps them to feel secure. Some new toys can help as a distraction, as you have found. Some Rabbits appreciate having a soft toy to snuggle with, as long as Bunny is not a chewer. I really hope that Bramble will perk up soon. But if he is no better by tomorrow and/or he is still not eating much I'd contact the Vet again for advice. Especially so if your Bunnies were/are not vaccinated against RHD2.


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am really sorry for your loss Firstly, I assume that both of your Rabbits were/are fully vaccinated ( 2 separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ) ? Is Bramble's poo output OK ? Does he feel unusually hot or cold to touch ?

    All Rabbits grieve in individual ways. Usually keeping to their normal routine helps them to feel secure. Some new toys can help as a distraction, as you have found. Some Rabbits appreciate having a soft toy to snuggle with, as long as Bunny is not a chewer. I really hope that Bramble will perk up soon. But if he is no better by tomorrow and/or he is still not eating much I'd contact the Vet again for advice. Especially so if your Bunnies were/are not vaccinated against RHD2.
    Hi,

    Yes, they both were fully vaccinated in October, they had their first one at the rescue, then I took them for their 2nd. I put a soft toy in his indoor cage with him but heís not been near it. Heís not pooped as much as normal but then heís not eaten as much. Although I did manage to tempt him with some carrot earlier. He has eaten bits but heís just not really bothered. Heís just not interested in anything really. He went in the hutch earlier and had a look round but hasnít been back in it all afternoon. Usually they would be in and out all day. Donít know if Iím reading too much into it - the weather has been quite warm today but breezy, maybe heís just been sheltering from the wind. Heís been under the trampoline most of the day!

    I just feel so sorry for him. I donít know whether to bring him in again tonight. Or whether to start looking for a wife. Or when the right time would be, if at all. I have bonded pairs before but never following a death.

    Thanks xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chezza145 View Post
    Hi,

    Yes, they both were fully vaccinated in October, they had their first one at the rescue, then I took them for their 2nd. I put a soft toy in his indoor cage with him but he’s not been near it. He’s not pooped as much as normal but then he’s not eaten as much. Although I did manage to tempt him with some carrot earlier. He has eaten bits but he’s just not really bothered. He’s just not interested in anything really. He went in the hutch earlier and had a look round but hasn’t been back in it all afternoon. Usually they would be in and out all day. Don’t know if I’m reading too much into it - the weather has been quite warm today but breezy, maybe he’s just been sheltering from the wind. He’s been under the trampoline most of the day!

    I just feel so sorry for him. I don’t know whether to bring him in again tonight. Or whether to start looking for a wife. Or when the right time would be, if at all. I have bonded pairs before but never following a death.

    Thanks xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at all possible I would definitely look at adopting a friend for him. Although in the current situation re Covid 19 this may not be too easy. In the meantime he may be happier as a House Bunny. He will have a lot more company and you will be able to keep a closer eye on his behaviour/input and output x


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  5. #5

    Default Grieving for his sister

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    If at all possible I would definitely look at adopting a friend for him. Although in the current situation re Covid 19 this may not be too easy. In the meantime he may be happier as a House Bunny. He will have a lot more company and you will be able to keep a closer eye on his behaviour/input and output x
    Ive been watching him all day, either in the garden with him, through the window or on ZooCam. Iíve adopted several bunnies from the same rescue over the years (and a cat!). They still have all my home check paperwork so I donít think that would be a problem, and the lady there knows the set up I have for them. Itís just knowing when is the right time. Would it make him happy doing it now or would it make things worse. I just donít know. Heís always been the quieter of the two - Willow was far more inquisitive and daring than Bramble. He just did whatever she did! And she was definitely the more dominant of the two. I feel like heís a little bit lost. Like he doesnít know what to do without her.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chezza145 View Post
    Ive been watching him all day, either in the garden with him, through the window or on ZooCam. I’ve adopted several bunnies from the same rescue over the years (and a cat!). They still have all my home check paperwork so I don’t think that would be a problem, and the lady there knows the set up I have for them. It’s just knowing when is the right time. Would it make him happy doing it now or would it make things worse. I just don’t know. He’s always been the quieter of the two - Willow was far more inquisitive and daring than Bramble. He just did whatever she did! And she was definitely the more dominant of the two. I feel like he’s a little bit lost. Like he doesn’t know what to do without her.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well maybe see how he gets on over the next week or so and perhaps have a chat with the Rescue. I do know that many, many Rescues are currently not rehoming or taking in Pets at the moment.


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  7. #7
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36,520

    Default

    I’m so sorry you lost Willow sending lots of vibes for Bramble. Jane has given you good advice

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

  8. #8

    Default

    Heís out in his hutch. But now I feel bad heís on his own. Donít know if I should go and get him


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    10,160

    Default

    Big hugs: it's never easy I was lucky: Lopsy knew Aboleth wasn't coming home and spent his short second batchelorhood doing his lazy Lopsy thing. It's so much harder when they are sad too Best of luck. I went for as soon as possible xx
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    17,967

    Default

    I am sorry for your loss. I would ring the Rescue and as they know you they might have a suitable female for your boy if you explain how unhappy he is.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •