• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Flushing - How Complicated is it?

Coriander is a favorite of all my 6 Bunnies too. Before all this Covid 19 malarky I was able to get to Asda. Their fresh herbs are the best value/quality IMO. Last time I managed to shop there (about Feb 2020) you could buy a huge bundle of either Coriander, Flat Leaf Parsley, Methi (Fenugreek), Mint, Rosemary or Basil for £1.00 each. The quantities were at least 4 times that which cost about 70p from Sainsburys/Tesco. Added bonus being that the bunches of Asda herbs were not sold wrapped in plastic :thumb:

How's your lad doing at the moment ?

Thanks! I've been buying from mainly Lidl or Tesco, I get pots where possible but they haven't been looking great quality. I've never seen big bunches in Asda, only the pots and prepackaged small bunches, but will definitely look out for them. I've never seen Methi (Fenugreek), so will look out for it thanks. He's not a big fan of rosemary but likes parsley, mint and basil.

He seems fine at the moment, always wanting food, decent sized poops. His behaviour is a little harder to monitor, yesterday and today he's wanted lots of snuggles and pestering me for food (he's learnt to jump on my lap/chest and bite my t-shirt and scratch, not great behaviour! - he's pretty demanding he will stamp if he doesn't get his food fast enough sometimes!). Until last year when we had Coco he was a completely different rabbit, he wasn't bothered about being stroked only wanted to snuggle with Coco, so sometimes I read more into it, that and being ratty in his hay box - scrambling like he can't find a treat or type of hay he wants, he then jumps out and then straight back in. As soon as the vet is back in work I will be booking an appointment with her to check out his ears and talk pain meds. Still nothing coming out of them when I clean them but they don't seem to be getting worse. At this stage I'm not confident having anyone else do his ears unless it's looking like it's bothering him. I purchased the Oxbow Joint Support so hopefully that will help him too.

Thanks! I've been buying from mainly Lidl or Tesco, I get pots where possible but they haven't been looking great quality. I've never seen big bunches in Asda, only the pots and prepackaged small bunches, but will definitely look out for them. I've never seen Methi (Fenugreek), so will look out for it thanks. He's not a big fan of rosemary but likes parsley, mint and basil.

He seems fine at the moment, always wanting food, decent sized poops. His behaviour is a little harder to monitor, yesterday and today he's wanted lots of snuggles and pestering me for food (he's learnt to jump on my lap/chest and bite my t-shirt and scratch, not great behaviour! - he's pretty demanding he will stamp if he doesn't get his food fast enough sometimes!). Until last year when we had Coco he was a completely different rabbit, he wasn't bothered about being stroked only wanted to snuggle with Coco, so sometimes I read more into it, that and being ratty in his hay box - scrambling like he can't find a treat or type of hay he wants, he then jumps out and then straight back in. As soon as the vet is back in work I will be booking an appointment with her to check out his ears and talk pain meds. Still nothing coming out of them when I clean them but they don't seem to be getting worse. At this stage I'm not confident having anyone else do his ears unless it's looking like it's bothering him. I purchased the Oxbow Joint Support so hopefully that will help him too.

It sounds as though you are doing everything possible for him at the moment. And that he knows who is Boss and I dont think it's you :lol:

It will be such a relief when Vet consultations can get back to normal. It makes having a Rabbit with any type of health issue even more stressful with the current way consults are having to take place .

The Asda I went to was one of the very large Superstores. Not sure if they would have a wider range of fresh herbs. In the store I went to the big bunches were displayed amongst the greens/cabbage etc, no-where near the packets or pots of herbs !!

It sounds as though you are doing everything possible for him at the moment. And that he knows who is Boss and I dont think it's you :lol:

It will be such a relief when Vet consultations can get back to normal. It makes having a Rabbit with any type of health issue even more stressful with the current way consults are having to take place .

The Asda I went to was one of the very large Superstores. Not sure if they would have a wider range of fresh herbs. In the store I went to the big bunches were displayed amongst the greens/cabbage etc, no-where near the packets or pots of herbs !!

Oh it's definitely not me!

Yes definitely, I've managed to get an appointment for today but don't go into the surgery with him. The last 1.5 weeks his behaviour has got terrible so I'm not sure if I've created a monster by spoiling him or he is in pain, will hopefully find out today. He's always been a little bit stroppy if he doesn't get his food fast enough (or previously if he thought Coco was getting something and he didn't), plus will head butt or nip very lightly if you are in his way, but these last 1.5 weeks, he's doing it a lot more - he's nipped me at least 5 times this morning - I was working on my laptop with my legs in a triangle, so he was messing around playing in and out and 3 nips of my legs, plus earlier on when he wanted food. I think I may have encouraged this behaviour when he first started scrambling for food. But Tuesday it was constant, literally launches himself at me and now is constantly biting my T-shirt, I keep removing him and he was relentless on Tuesday - I don't think he had enough sleep. He's been a bit crabby when he's usually a cheerful little soul. Everything else is normal except his poops reduced to half the size other night Sunday and although they have got better, definitely not back to full size, so hopefully the vet can help him.

Ooh I'll have to look thanks. I got an Amazon Prime Now delivery to try and had big bunches of herbs from Morrisons. Sadly the quality wasn't good particularly on the coriander, but it was like it had been stuck next to an ice pack all day so that might not have helped.

Oh it's definitely not me!

Yes definitely, I've managed to get an appointment for today but don't go into the surgery with him. The last 1.5 weeks his behaviour has got terrible so I'm not sure if I've created a monster by spoiling him or he is in pain, will hopefully find out today. He's always been a little bit stroppy if he doesn't get his food fast enough (or previously if he thought Coco was getting something and he didn't), plus will head butt or nip very lightly if you are in his way, but these last 1.5 weeks, he's doing it a lot more - he's nipped me at least 5 times this morning - I was working on my laptop with my legs in a triangle, so he was messing around playing in and out and 3 nips of my legs, plus earlier on when he wanted food. I think I may have encouraged this behaviour when he first started scrambling for food. But Tuesday it was constant, literally launches himself at me and now is constantly biting my T-shirt, I keep removing him and he was relentless on Tuesday - I don't think he had enough sleep. He's been a bit crabby when he's usually a cheerful little soul. Everything else is normal except his poops reduced to half the size other night Sunday and although they have got better, definitely not back to full size, so hopefully the vet can help him.

Ooh I'll have to look thanks. I got an Amazon Prime Now delivery to try and had big bunches of herbs from Morrisons. Sadly the quality wasn't good particularly on the coriander, but it was like it had been stuck next to an ice pack all day so that might not have helped.

Well I hope that the Vet can determine if his 'challenging' behaviour. His change in poo output could partly be due to the exceptionally hot weather. Especially if he is not drinking enough xx

Well I hope that the Vet can determine if his 'challenging' behaviour. His change in poo output could partly be due to the exceptionally hot weather. Especially if he is not drinking enough xx

I think he has an issue with not drinking enough by himself, he won't drink from bowl, but would happily drink from a glass if I had something sweet in it, he'd be more likely to throw it. I've been putting pellets to soak in water to get him to take it from a syringe as he loves the taste, and been giving it him a few times a day as conscious didn't want him getting blocking up if the poops kept getting smaller. If I see him drinking from his water bottle I'll offer him syringed water so he gets more as he'll take it then but not really otherwise.

I think he has an issue with not drinking enough by himself, he won't drink from bowl, but would happily drink from a glass if I had something sweet in it, he'd be more likely to throw it. I've been putting pellets to soak in water to get him to take it from a syringe as he loves the taste, and been giving it him a few times a day as conscious didn't want him getting blocking up if the poops kept getting smaller. If I see him drinking from his water bottle I'll offer him syringed water so he gets more as he'll take it then but not really otherwise.

Sounds like he craves your attention !!

Sounds like he craves your attention !!

Oh for sure! He always used to demand head licks from Coco. I've been spoiling him because felt it was unfair for me not to replace her.

No ear issues, can stop with the ear cleaner (must have done the job despite nothing coming out on the cotton wool!). Upping his pain meds slightly and got some gut stimulant just in case. So the naughty behaviour is probably just me spoiling him and giving into his demands for food, we'll see with the pain meds what happens but looks like I'll have to get into a routine of positive reinforcement of food for good behaviour.

Oh for sure! He always used to demand head licks from Coco. I've been spoiling him because felt it was unfair for me not to replace her.

No ear issues, can stop with the ear cleaner (must have done the job despite nothing coming out on the cotton wool!). Upping his pain meds slightly and got some gut stimulant just in case. So the naughty behaviour is probably just me spoiling him and giving into his demands for food, we'll see with the pain meds what happens but looks like I'll have to get into a routine of positive reinforcement of food for good behaviour.

Glad to hear that the Vet did not find any more problems with his ears. I assume that he/she also had a good check of Coco's teeth and a general 'MOT' ? If his behaviour is pain related then I hope the increased dose of Metacam helps x

Glad to hear that the Vet did not find any more problems with his ears. I assume that he/she also had a good check of Coco's teeth and a general 'MOT' ? If his behaviour is pain related then I hope the increased dose of Metacam helps x

I stupidly didn't ask and didn't go into the vets with him but I would have assumed so. I'm going to put him in his hay when he's begging for food and start giving it was he's being good and see what difference that makes. A bit of a relief about his ear anyway.

I stupidly didn't ask and didn't go into the vets with him but I would have assumed so. I'm going to put him in his hay when he's begging for food and start giving it was he's being good and see what difference that makes. A bit of a relief about his ear anyway.

There are some good tips on the following link about environmental enrichment which may help reduce his demanding behaviour

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rwaf/enrichment-for-rabbits/

There are some good tips on the following link about environmental enrichment which may help reduce his demanding behaviour

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rwaf/enrichment-for-rabbits/

Thank you. I try to do enrichment ideas where I can - he gets his vegetables chopped up and hidden on the couch, under cushions, through his tunnel, stacking cups etc. The problem is I think he's come to the stage where he's eating less hay and coming to me for food instead. Often even straight after this vegetables. So an example today, he now has an Oxbow joint support biscuit in the morning with hay and then I try and give him food from about 2pm onwards, it used to be after a sleep, because he when I feed him early in that's the worst for him sleeping in cetophboes and getting messy. He's not sleeping as much in the day though since I managed to get his food intake higher (at times he was on hay only to get the excess cetophobes under control). So then he around lunch time he has his pellets in a rolling treat ball (sometimes stacking cups but he's too fast with them!). Then in later in the afternoon the couch vegetables, herbs etc - 4 portions of different things along with constant fresh hay throughout day (topped up as he likes it fresh). If it's warm we go on the patio for some sun (generally speaking he's better behaved then). On a nice day (probably not often enough though) on the grass. I can't leave him on the grass without me as there's too many foxes and cats around here. He has about 4 pieces of apple tree branches a day to help with boredom too, plus plenty of snuggles.

So today he was biting and being naughty, I kept put him in his hay. I go out the room in the end to go collect some grass from the garden as it's quite long. I come back peak in and he's happily eating hay. I go in the room and the next time he's bounced up to me to try and get something. I left giving him the grass until he had given up begging. He ate about half of it and settled down on his bed to chill out. So I think it's more wanting stuff other than hay more than him being bored but will definitely look at those enrichment ideas thanks. The problem being that he is only interested in toys etc if they are food related, he has seagrass mats, willow balls/toys and just not interested in them, I may consider a cardboard castle as he does love boxes. For Halloween I was collecting them from Lidl to make gravestones with and made him mazes with them with food trails in and he loved those. One of the enrichment toys with the blue bits to pull out and find the food I actually own but need to dig out so will get that. And it's probably time for a new seagrass(?) house from Pets at Home as he loves them but only eats the bottom of them. I think I will order some grass hay to go with his Timothy hay as I got a sample and he liked that. He was always so good at eating hay, it will definitely become an issue if he's not doing it as much.

Thank you. I try to do enrichment ideas where I can - he gets his vegetables chopped up and hidden on the couch, under cushions, through his tunnel, stacking cups etc. The problem is I think he's come to the stage where he's eating less hay and coming to me for food instead. Often even straight after this vegetables. So an example today, he now has an Oxbow joint support biscuit in the morning with hay and then I try and give him food from about 2pm onwards, it used to be after a sleep, because he when I feed him early in that's the worst for him sleeping in cetophboes and getting messy. He's not sleeping as much in the day though since I managed to get his food intake higher (at times he was on hay only to get the excess cetophobes under control). So then he around lunch time he has his pellets in a rolling treat ball (sometimes stacking cups but he's too fast with them!). Then in later in the afternoon the couch vegetables, herbs etc - 4 portions of different things along with constant fresh hay throughout day (topped up as he likes it fresh). If it's warm we go on the patio for some sun (generally speaking he's better behaved then). On a nice day (probably not often enough though) on the grass. I can't leave him on the grass without me as there's too many foxes and cats around here. He has about 4 pieces of apple tree branches a day to help with boredom too, plus plenty of snuggles.

So today he was biting and being naughty, I kept put him in his hay. I go out the room in the end to go collect some grass from the garden as it's quite long. I come back peak in and he's happily eating hay. I go in the room and the next time he's bounced up to me to try and get something. I left giving him the grass until he had given up begging. He ate about half of it and settled down on his bed to chill out. So I think it's more wanting stuff other than hay more than him being bored but will definitely look at those enrichment ideas thanks. The problem being that he is only interested in toys etc if they are food related, he has seagrass mats, willow balls/toys and just not interested in them, I may consider a cardboard castle as he does love boxes. For Halloween I was collecting them from Lidl to make gravestones with and made him mazes with them with food trails in and he loved those. One of the enrichment toys with the blue bits to pull out and find the food I actually own but need to dig out so will get that. And it's probably time for a new seagrass(?) house from Pets at Home as he loves them but only eats the bottom of them. I think I will order some grass hay to go with his Timothy hay as I got a sample and he liked that. He was always so good at eating hay, it will definitely become an issue if he's not doing it as much.

It sounds as though you are doing a huge amount to make his environment as interesting as possible. I guess it's going to be a case of trial and error each day to see if a specific routine improves his behaviour. Anyone who thinks Rabbits are low maintenance Pets are 100% wrong ! x

It sounds as though you are doing a huge amount to make his environment as interesting as possible. I guess it's going to be a case of trial and error each day to see if a specific routine improves his behaviour. Anyone who thinks Rabbits are low maintenance Pets are 100% wrong ! x

Oh definitely and definitely more work with only one! The toilet roll idea has worked well for him (I hide fennel in a few times), definitely have to do more of the ideas on that board, thanks.

Back