Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ear Flushing - How Complicated is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    There are some good tips on the following link about environmental enrichment which may help reduce his demanding behaviour

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rwaf/enr...t-for-rabbits/

Thank you. I try to do enrichment ideas where I can - he gets his vegetables chopped up and hidden on the couch, under cushions, through his tunnel, stacking cups etc. The problem is I think he's come to the stage where he's eating less hay and coming to me for food instead. Often even straight after this vegetables. So an example today, he now has an Oxbow joint support biscuit in the morning with hay and then I try and give him food from about 2pm onwards, it used to be after a sleep, because he when I feed him early in that's the worst for him sleeping in cetophboes and getting messy. He's not sleeping as much in the day though since I managed to get his food intake higher (at times he was on hay only to get the excess cetophobes under control). So then he around lunch time he has his pellets in a rolling treat ball (sometimes stacking cups but he's too fast with them!). Then in later in the afternoon the couch vegetables, herbs etc - 4 portions of different things along with constant fresh hay throughout day (topped up as he likes it fresh). If it's warm we go on the patio for some sun (generally speaking he's better behaved then). On a nice day (probably not often enough though) on the grass. I can't leave him on the grass without me as there's too many foxes and cats around here. He has about 4 pieces of apple tree branches a day to help with boredom too, plus plenty of snuggles.

So today he was biting and being naughty, I kept put him in his hay. I go out the room in the end to go collect some grass from the garden as it's quite long. I come back peak in and he's happily eating hay. I go in the room and the next time he's bounced up to me to try and get something. I left giving him the grass until he had given up begging. He ate about half of it and settled down on his bed to chill out. So I think it's more wanting stuff other than hay more than him being bored but will definitely look at those enrichment ideas thanks. The problem being that he is only interested in toys etc if they are food related, he has seagrass mats, willow balls/toys and just not interested in them, I may consider a cardboard castle as he does love boxes. For Halloween I was collecting them from Lidl to make gravestones with and made him mazes with them with food trails in and he loved those. One of the enrichment toys with the blue bits to pull out and find the food I actually own but need to dig out so will get that. And it's probably time for a new seagrass(?) house from Pets at Home as he loves them but only eats the bottom of them. I think I will order some grass hay to go with his Timothy hay as I got a sample and he liked that. He was always so good at eating hay, it will definitely become an issue if he's not doing it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
    Thank you. I try to do enrichment ideas where I can - he gets his vegetables chopped up and hidden on the couch, under cushions, through his tunnel, stacking cups etc. The problem is I think he's come to the stage where he's eating less hay and coming to me for food instead. Often even straight after this vegetables. So an example today, he now has an Oxbow joint support biscuit in the morning with hay and then I try and give him food from about 2pm onwards, it used to be after a sleep, because he when I feed him early in that's the worst for him sleeping in cetophboes and getting messy. He's not sleeping as much in the day though since I managed to get his food intake higher (at times he was on hay only to get the excess cetophobes under control). So then he around lunch time he has his pellets in a rolling treat ball (sometimes stacking cups but he's too fast with them!). Then in later in the afternoon the couch vegetables, herbs etc - 4 portions of different things along with constant fresh hay throughout day (topped up as he likes it fresh). If it's warm we go on the patio for some sun (generally speaking he's better behaved then). On a nice day (probably not often enough though) on the grass. I can't leave him on the grass without me as there's too many foxes and cats around here. He has about 4 pieces of apple tree branches a day to help with boredom too, plus plenty of snuggles.

So today he was biting and being naughty, I kept put him in his hay. I go out the room in the end to go collect some grass from the garden as it's quite long. I come back peak in and he's happily eating hay. I go in the room and the next time he's bounced up to me to try and get something. I left giving him the grass until he had given up begging. He ate about half of it and settled down on his bed to chill out. So I think it's more wanting stuff other than hay more than him being bored but will definitely look at those enrichment ideas thanks. The problem being that he is only interested in toys etc if they are food related, he has seagrass mats, willow balls/toys and just not interested in them, I may consider a cardboard castle as he does love boxes. For Halloween I was collecting them from Lidl to make gravestones with and made him mazes with them with food trails in and he loved those. One of the enrichment toys with the blue bits to pull out and find the food I actually own but need to dig out so will get that. And it's probably time for a new seagrass(?) house from Pets at Home as he loves them but only eats the bottom of them. I think I will order some grass hay to go with his Timothy hay as I got a sample and he liked that. He was always so good at eating hay, it will definitely become an issue if he's not doing it as much.
    It sounds as though you are doing a huge amount to make his environment as interesting as possible. I guess it's going to be a case of trial and error each day to see if a specific routine improves his behaviour. Anyone who thinks Rabbits are low maintenance Pets are 100% wrong ! x

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    It sounds as though you are doing a huge amount to make his environment as interesting as possible. I guess it's going to be a case of trial and error each day to see if a specific routine improves his behaviour. Anyone who thinks Rabbits are low maintenance Pets are 100% wrong ! x
    Oh definitely and definitely more work with only one! The toilet roll idea has worked well for him (I hide fennel in a few times), definitely have to do more of the ideas on that board, thanks.