• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you feed your buns?

doorkeeper said:
I feed mine the Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets. Most of the rabbits are very happy with it, especially when I mix in some of the guinea food with it to add a little spice. One pair doesn't eat much of it, but they used to eat less of the excel when I fed that too than the other pairs did.

The added bonus with Allen and Page is that it is far cheaper than Excel, and when you have as many rabbits as I do (15) that makes a big difference. I don't understand this really. It is organic, non-GM, vegetarian, - all things I would expect to pay more for, but it is MUCH cheaper - approx £6.50 for 20kg, yes 20kg. I used to pay £11.50 for 10kg for Excel. Madness!!
yes i agree too, it is far cheaped and a good quailty food, that is another reason y i switched
becky

Toby has anything his little heart wants :) He hates excel though -- he looks at me gone out when I give him that. Toby doesn't really like rabbit food full stop :lol: His spoilt I blame my mum :)

doorkeeper said:
I used to pay £11.50 for 10kg for Excel. Madness!!

I pay £12 for my Excel, which last roughly two weeks between 10 buns, I used to pay £14.50 for Science Selective :shock:

Do they have samples of the Allen & Page pellets to give out?

ive always just used a mixed bad from the local pet shop and have never had any problems with poo's or illness, its simply what looks like dried cabbage and a few pellets of something n corny bits, mind you she always just pickes out the cabbage first lol, its dirt cheap too, bout 60p for a big bag lasts a week ish.. im worried now lol is this ok, it seems fine

ive always just used a mixed bad from the local vets and have never had any problems with poo's or illness, its simply what looks like dried cabbage and a few pellets of something n corny bits, mind you she always just pickes out the cabbage first lol, its dirt cheap too, bout 60p for a big bag lasts a week ish.. im worried now lol is this ok, it seems fine

Gem said:
doorkeeper said:
I used to pay £11.50 for 10kg for Excel. Madness!!

I pay £12 for my Excel, which last roughly two weeks between 10 buns, I used to pay £14.50 for Science Selective :shock:

Do they have samples of the Allen & Page pellets to give out?

there is a very big rabbit show at bradford and they lots of stands there and A&P have a stand and do have samples of all there rabbit feeds but last year they had a offer and the 20kg bags were only £5 but will have lots of rabbit feed stands there, and others too
becky

Hiya

In the past month or so I've switched my youngest bun over to Excel and my foster bunny is on it. I find that if I feed too much of it they do get squishy poos so I'm careful with the amounts. My dwarf rabbit gets bout 45g per day and is doing well on that amount. Think she weighs about 1.5 kg maybe slightly more. My foster bunny weighs 3.5kg (or did when I got her!) and she is on about 100g a day - she needed some weight putting on her and is doing very well on it.

My other bunny is on a rabbit mix - I've tried to switch but to no avail. She is 5 years old and very healthy teeth and gut wise so I'm leaving her on it.

Maryflynn - the rabbit mixes aren't the best food available for the buns as I know all don't provide correct nutritional content BUT if your bun won't eat complete (like mine!) then I don't see the harm as it should form a very small part of the diet anyway. Over 80% should be hay and also some veggies. So as long as they are healthy and doing well I think it is up to the individual. Obviously if your bun likes complete then it is better but some buns are just fussy and who are we to make them eat what they don't like!!

Nicola

Rexy bexy said:
there is a very big rabbit show at bradford and they lots of stands there and A&P have a stand and do have samples of all there rabbit feeds but last year they had a offer and the 20kg bags were only £5 but will have lots of rabbit feed stands there, and others too
becky

I can never get there though, thats the problem.

If you you show there I'm wondering if you know Sue from Pendragon Rats and Rabbits?

Gem said:
Rexy bexy said:
becky

I can never get there though, thats the problem.

If you you show there I'm wondering if you know Sue from Pendragon Rats and Rabbits?

yes i have spoken to her b4 but never met her
becky

I have 2 bunnies on science selective because it is slightly cheaper than excel, and one on excel as that was what her previous owner gave her. I have not had any problems with either brand.

maryflynn said:
ive always just used a mixed bad from the local vets and have never had any problems with poo's or illness, its simply what looks like dried cabbage and a few pellets of something n corny bits, mind you she always just pickes out the cabbage first lol, its dirt cheap too, bout 60p for a big bag lasts a week ish.. im worried now lol is this ok, it seems fine

I have always used a pet shop mix, anything with carrots in Sugar likes, Misty was on russell rabbit junior till recently i started her on what Sugars eating (Its similer to russel rabbit carrot and leak just cheaper) she has started to get squidgy poos so i'm looking for something else to give her. Maybe i might try excel or something like that?

hey guys again,

just a thought, while i kno many of u dont think rabbit mixes are good, and i did wonder this myself when i had those comments but mitz has just given birth 1st time to eight healthy happy babes and is really healthy, bouncy in herself and her diet has always been:

rabbit mix(just basic mix from pet shop), loads of hay, cabbage, spinach n occasional fruit treats and she has been checked over by vets who hav commented on her good state.

i do agree with all comments of the good brand pellets etc but must say it really depends on balance, budget and individual rabbits taste lol, whateva works for you.. xx

bunny_basicst.jpg

has any one tried this? bunny basics T? available from bunnybazaar?

I am using Oxbow 15/23 for my baby bunny Magic. But I could not feed all of mine on Oxbow as it would bankrupt me. Find the food really good for Magic though whilst he is young. Vera

On the advise of my vet my 2 get hay, hay more hay and carrots. When I first took them to the vet they were very young and she said while they were young I could feed them a tiny amount of something that wasn't hay or vegetables. She then went on to say that under no circumstances should I feed them anything dried after that batch of dried food had gone. She then explained why that was. The dried food (including pellets) can contain too much energy and stop the bunnies from chewing (mine are constantly chewing hay or carrot) which can cause teething problems. She told me that everything a rabbit needs is found in hay and even carrots are to be considered a treat (i.e. they don't really need them) but that they are also aren't going to do them any harm.

The only problem is that hay doesn't contain the full range of vitamins and minerals a rabbit needs (as it is dried much of these are lost). In the wild they would eat a wide variety of fresh vegetation and this would give them a balanced diet. However if you are only feeding hay and carrots this will be a rather restricted diet and they could suffer from lack of vitamins.

I agree that hay is the best source of food and that constant chewing is vital for a rabbit's health but I prefer to ensure my rabbits have a complete diet so feed a small volume of pellets too. These are not the main food source as hay is available at all times as their main source supplemented with a wide variety of fresh vegetables from asparagus to spring greens (inc carrots) and herbs to ensure a variety in their diet and to make sure they get all the nutrients they need.

Caz

I have Roo on the Science selective as the Super Excel was giving him the messy bum problem.......Splats has never had a problem on the Super Excel....but is currently on the Super Excel light as he is starting to get a bit big and lazy in his old age.........

We have been having problems with two of our rabbits with sticky bums who are currently fed on Burgess Excell and we are going to change to Allen & Page natural pellets.

Obviously the change will be done very gradual over the next couple of months.

This problem does seem very common amongst both pet owners and breeders alike.

Back