• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies pellet food suggestion

Danni30

Young Bun
Hi there new to this forum hope everybody is keeping well and safe.
Were due to pick up 2 baby rabbits at the end of may and I'm struggling to find a pellet food .
I currently have a wild rabbit in the garden that we feed rosewood meadow menu what do people think of this food or do you have any suggestion obviously our babies will be feed on alfalfa hay also and we will start introducing fresh food to them as well kind regards danielle

Hello! The best food to feed your babies on is the food they have been eating with their Mum. Then as they settle down with you and get a bit older, you can decide which Pellet you think you will use. Putting them on a different pellet to which they have been eating can cause tummy upsets at such an early age. The 2 best pellets are Science Selective and Burgess Excel. When you pick up the rabbits ask the breeder if they have been used to eating veg and if they have you can continue to give tiny bits. Some breeders don't give their babies veg so it is best in this case to wait until they are about 3 months old before introducing them to it, only sparingly and one veg at a time in case they get upset tummies. There is a wealth of knowledge on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website regarding all aspects of rabbit keeping.

Hi toni thank you for your reply .
Sorry I didnt explain it very well lol I would definitely slowly introduce a new food as wouldnt want then to get icky tummy but quite often when I have picked up a new animal they have been on the cheap and non nutritional stuff but was struggling to find one to eventually change then to and thank you for your recommendation I will defo look at these for them.
I dont think the breeders give them veg yet they will just be on pellets when they are ready.
There still tiny tiny only born last week 🥰cant wait to get them going to be the longest 8 weeks lol x

Hi toni thank you for your reply .
Sorry I didnt explain it very well lol I would definitely slowly introduce a new food as wouldnt want then to get icky tummy but quite often when I have picked up a new animal they have been on the cheap and non nutritional stuff but was struggling to find one to eventually change then to and thank you for your recommendation I will defo look at these for them.
I dont think the breeders give them veg yet they will just be on pellets when they are ready.
There still tiny tiny only born last week 🥰cant wait to get them going to be the longest 8 weeks lol x

Hi yes, definitely slowly introduce any new food to your rabbits. Also make sure that whatever pellets you do buy, that they are grain free and Timothy hay based, as these are the healthiest and easiest to digest; reducing the potential for GI issues as a a result. I use the Selective Naturals Grain Free Rabbit Food which are Timothy based and I have never had any problems and my rabbits love them.

Hi yes, definitely slowly introduce any new food to your rabbits. Also make sure that whatever pellets you do buy, that they are grain free and Timothy hay based, as these are the healthiest and easiest to digest; reducing the potential for GI issues as a a result. I use the Selective Naturals Grain Free Rabbit Food which are Timothy based and I have never had any problems and my rabbits love them.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the pellets I mentioned are for adult rabbits but I’m pretty sure they do a baby/juvenile rabbit version also.

Back