• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination / covaid question

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did do a search but to no avail.

I live in an area backing onto farmland, we do have foxes hence house rabbits or rabbits only outside when a human is present.

OH cycles to and from work everyday through a wood and over fields. (he is a key worker).

OH's works has a large population of rabbits that had to be culled last year due to mixi.

Ruperts vaccinations run out in May, should I keep him in and stop him being near OH's cycle? Is he in danger of "wild" animals bringing it into the garden.

Thank you for reading.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did do a search but to no avail.

I live in an area backing onto farmland, we do have foxes hence house rabbits or rabbits only outside when a human is present.

OH cycles to and from work everyday through a wood and over fields. (he is a key worker).

OH's works has a large population of rabbits that had to be culled last year due to mixi.

Ruperts vaccinations run out in May, should I keep him in and stop him being near OH's cycle? Is he in danger of "wild" animals bringing it into the garden.

Thank you for reading.

Are you asking about RHD1/RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

The protection of any vaccine does not just suddenly stop on a specific date, so a Rabbit who has previously always been up to date with vaccinations may retain some immunity after a year. This thread may answer you actual question

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?479446-For-anyone-worried-about-pet-vaccinations

Are you asking about RHD1/RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

The protection of any vaccine does not just suddenly stop on a specific date, so a Rabbit who has previously always been up to date with vaccinations may retain some immunity after a year. This thread may answer you actual question

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?479446-For-anyone-worried-about-pet-vaccinations

Sadly, my vets have told me that this isn't accurate - they don't know when vaccinations will be able to be resumed.

I now have three rabbits overdue myxomatosis vaccinations who live next to a massive pond...

Are there any remaining rabbits at your OH's works as he could easily transmit the disease/s on his shoes or clothes. How sad for the bunnies but there are quite often a few remaining ones like the babies which are immune for a while.

Are there any remaining rabbits at your OH's works as he could easily transmit the disease/s on his shoes or clothes. How sad for the bunnies but there are quite often a few remaining ones like the babies which are immune for a while.

No, it was beyond awful they were all killed.

Thank you for the link Jacks Jane, I thought I had seen something and couldnt find it. Rupert has only had one lot of vaccinations, so hasnt years of building a resilience. I think I was asking about both - thank you for your reply.

Bunny Buddy, my vets have said they are not doing vaccinations, when I rang they said they would start the vaccination programme from the beginning but for the same price - I am not fussed about the price its the cover I think they need. It is such a worry isnt it.

No, it was beyond awful they were all killed.

Thank you for the link Jacks Jane, I thought I had seen something and couldnt find it. Rupert has only had one lot of vaccinations, so hasnt years of building a resilience. I think I was asking about both - thank you for your reply.

Bunny Buddy, my vets have said they are not doing vaccinations, when I rang they said they would start the vaccination programme from the beginning but for the same price - I am not fussed about the price its the cover I think they need. It is such a worry isnt it.

If Rupert can remain indoors I would keep him in as although indoor Rabbits are still at risk it may be marginally lower than outdoor Rabbits. Also, I'd make sure any other Pets you have and Rupert are treated for Fleas (one of the possible vectors of Myxo/RHD ) Rabbits can be treated with this https://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-f...all-cats-small-dogs-rabbits-4-pipettes-p-1173

Also try to minimise the presence of other blood sucking insects such as Mozzies

I'd ask OH not to bring his Cycle into the house as RHD1/2 can survive on all sorts of surfaces/clothing etc.

One of the trustees for Rabbit Rescue Northwest has posted some new BVA guidance on her personal Facebook page about reinstating rabbit vaccinations amongst other things due to the ongoing nature of covid 19 situation. I can’t find it available anywhere else, but it gives us some hope that we can get them done soon.

One of the trustees for Rabbit Rescue Northwest has posted some new BVA guidance on her personal Facebook page about reinstating rabbit vaccinations amongst other things due to the ongoing nature of covid 19 situation. I can’t find it available anywhere else, but it gives us some hope that we can get them done soon.

I hope so. I don't want to be selfish in my priorities but I am quite OCD about vaccinations, the thought of not being able to vaccinate could be what pushes me over the edge!

Thanks. My vet practice said it was due for review in the next few days so I guess this is the outcome of the decision.

Yeah, I am a member of a group for veterinary staff to manage social media for their vet practices and it seems some practices have already posted updates on their practices going forward from the 14th April following the BVA's post. They seem to be allowing some vaccinations, prioritising puppy/kitten 1st and 2nd vaccinations, dogs 1st annual booster, and rabbit vaccinations. Also allowing cat and rabbit neutering on a case by case bases. I've seen some practices post on their Facebook pages but then panic on the group as it seems they may have posted too early!

I can’t get onto my photo hosting account for some reason, but if anyone wants to PM me their email address I can send you the images I downloaded from her Facebook page.

Back