Thread: Change in coat after spay

Young Bun

Default Change in coat after spay

I had my lionhead lop spayed in February. She had a beautiful long gruff at the front and around her head but since she was spayed it has nearly completely gone. Replaced by shorter hair. Has this happenef to anyone else? If i knew this I may have waited a bit more to have her spayed.

Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

Rabbits moult around February so maybe this is the reason. You will have to wait and see how her next winter coat grows.

Quote Originally Posted by drmag View Post
    I had my lionhead lop spayed in February. She had a beautiful long gruff at the front and around her head but since she was spayed it has nearly completely gone. Replaced by shorter hair. Has this happenef to anyone else? If i knew this I may have waited a bit more to have her spayed.

Thanks
    Fur growth rate can be affected by many things, including hormonal changes. Having her spayed later is unlikely to have made a difference in that respect and depending on how old she is now a later spay can be higher risk as the Doe will have more fatty deposits making surgery somewhat more complicated and recovery time possibly more protracted. In Does spayed as adults then there is no benefit to delaying for 'cosmetic' reasons. As you probably know the risk of adenocarcinoma in entire adult Does is high, the sooner the spay is done the better.

Your Doe may be less fluffy, but that wont be detrimental to her health and welfare

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Mama Doe

I would have thought it was a seasonal coat change - nothing to do with the spay. My 3 lionhead crosses have much less fur at the moment than they had a couple of months ago - one has lost all her long fur so it doesn't even look like a lionhead coat now, but it will be back for winter.

Young Bun

Ok thanks so it may come back in winter. She was moulting 4 to 5 weeks back (which i think we have only noticed once in the 7 months we have had her.) This must be when she lost her long hair.
    I was worried it was hormonal it has also been a major appearance change. I'll try post pictures when i get a chance.

Thanks all!