• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny stress

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
I had my bunny Hazel at the vets today, they are only doing emergencies but they did see her for me. Bacground: on another thread I have been detailing my bonding problems with her and shadow. She is now settled with him being around. I had been swapping litter trays but the last few weeks I swap their rooms each day and they got outside in a run and swap sides of that too. They fight if they are put together but are now fine with each other through the mesh and will sit next to each other. Hazel does not like being in shadows room, every morning when she has been in there she has seemed subdued / quiet but is fine very quickly. I had been debating whether to continue swapping or not but if I stop she is likely to be terrotorial of her room when (and if) I manage to get them to bond and she needs to share the space with him. also she has got used to the birds outside but she hates being taken in her carrier to the garden and back (shadow lets you just carry him in your arms no problem).

So today she didn't come over to the gate when I called her. I went in and she was sitting in a hidey hole she likes and was shaking breathing fast. She didn't move to see me. My partner got some cabbage for her and she wouldn't eat it. I tried lifting her and she struggled and rushed off to the litter tray. She lifted her tail like she was peeing but then she just flopped in the tray and was doing the same. Her eyes were closed at some points and almost bulging wide at others. Stroking her she would curl up her feet like maybe it hust. Her litter tray was completely cleaned out yesterday around 4pm. There are lots of good sized poos in it and wet litter from pee. I thought with her symptoms it must be a blockage anyway. I phoned the vets and they said the vet would phone me back whether they would see her or not or maybe just give medicine. She asked if there are any changes right now. I explained about the swapping rooms, also about both of them digging tunnels in the garden (just grass with earth which has had nothing added to it for the 15 years we have lived here) but I did add that shadow had done pee that turned the litter white that it looked like paint and I worried it was something to do with something underground where they have dug. She didn't really comment on that. Anyway she took hazel in and examined her. Good vitals, good condition, good constant weight, no blockage. She said she has a small bladder so couldn't feel that very well. Just to add when we put hazel in the carrier she livened up a bit so I don't think the vet saw her like we did when we phoned. It was at least 20 minutes we saw her in that state. She suggested it was probably stress. She added that we could do another xray as she had cancer in her uteris when she was spayed in december and she was due another xray at the end of this month. We went ahead (not putting her under) and the xray was clear, her lungs are good etc. So again she thinks it is just stress. We took her home and she is still stressed, she ate a bit of kale (her favourite) but nothing else and didn't finish it. As she can be stressed when she gets back from the vets anyway, it normally works best to leave her for a while then she is fine again. I am leaving her alone for an hour to see (looking every now and then from a distance), with some tasty treats in front of her. She is back in her room in her favourite safe place. I wondered if anyone else had experienced this, it was just like the way my old bunny behaved with a blockage and seems extreme for it being stress as she was fine last night. Maybe something really scared her overnight. But I am now going to stop swapping her rooms as I guess it could be a stress build up as we have done that for a couple of weeks. I just find it stange that I had no warning other than her being a bit subdued when she has been in that room overnight. But she has been eating, running around, pooing etc all normally. Does anyone know of any other reason this could happen or do people agree it is likely to be stress? I have dealt with many bunny illnesses but never stress so I know little about it.

I had my bunny Hazel at the vets today, they are only doing emergencies but they did see her for me. Bacground: on another thread I have been detailing my bonding problems with her and shadow. She is now settled with him being around. I had been swapping litter trays but the last few weeks I swap their rooms each day and they got outside in a run and swap sides of that too. They fight if they are put together but are now fine with each other through the mesh and will sit next to each other. Hazel does not like being in shadows room, every morning when she has been in there she has seemed subdued / quiet but is fine very quickly. I had been debating whether to continue swapping or not but if I stop she is likely to be terrotorial of her room when (and if) I manage to get them to bond and she needs to share the space with him. also she has got used to the birds outside but she hates being taken in her carrier to the garden and back (shadow lets you just carry him in your arms no problem).

So today she didn't come over to the gate when I called her. I went in and she was sitting in a hidey hole she likes and was shaking breathing fast. She didn't move to see me. My partner got some cabbage for her and she wouldn't eat it. I tried lifting her and she struggled and rushed off to the litter tray. She lifted her tail like she was peeing but then she just flopped in the tray and was doing the same. Her eyes were closed at some points and almost bulging wide at others. Stroking her she would curl up her feet like maybe it hust. Her litter tray was completely cleaned out yesterday around 4pm. There are lots of good sized poos in it and wet litter from pee. I thought with her symptoms it must be a blockage anyway. I phoned the vets and they said the vet would phone me back whether they would see her or not or maybe just give medicine. She asked if there are any changes right now. I explained about the swapping rooms, also about both of them digging tunnels in the garden (just grass with earth which has had nothing added to it for the 15 years we have lived here) but I did add that shadow had done pee that turned the litter white that it looked like paint and I worried it was something to do with something underground where they have dug. She didn't really comment on that. Anyway she took hazel in and examined her. Good vitals, good condition, good constant weight, no blockage. She said she has a small bladder so couldn't feel that very well. Just to add when we put hazel in the carrier she livened up a bit so I don't think the vet saw her like we did when we phoned. It was at least 20 minutes we saw her in that state. She suggested it was probably stress. She added that we could do another xray as she had cancer in her uteris when she was spayed in december and she was due another xray at the end of this month. We went ahead (not putting her under) and the xray was clear, her lungs are good etc. So again she thinks it is just stress. We took her home and she is still stressed, she ate a bit of kale (her favourite) but nothing else and didn't finish it. As she can be stressed when she gets back from the vets anyway, it normally works best to leave her for a while then she is fine again. I am leaving her alone for an hour to see (looking every now and then from a distance), with some tasty treats in front of her. She is back in her room in her favourite safe place. I wondered if anyone else had experienced this, it was just like the way my old bunny behaved with a blockage and seems extreme for it being stress as she was fine last night. Maybe something really scared her overnight. But I am now going to stop swapping her rooms as I guess it could be a stress build up as we have done that for a couple of weeks. I just find it stange that I had no warning other than her being a bit subdued when she has been in that room overnight. But she has been eating, running around, pooing etc all normally. Does anyone know of any other reason this could happen or do people agree it is likely to be stress? I have dealt with many bunny illnesses but never stress so I know little about it.

You mention that there was some evidence of 'white wee'. Bladder sludge may be a possibility.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Is she drinking enough ?

You mention that there was some evidence of 'white wee'. Bladder sludge may be a possibility.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Is she drinking enough ?

Hi, it is my other bunny with the white wee, I only mentioned it to my vet in case it was any indication of something that both of them could have eaten making her ill. She won't eat or drink anything, I think i need to phone the vets again. She is usually a happy bunny, nosey, runs around, not very scared etc. I really find it hard to accept she is just stressed. I thought some time alone in her spot would calm her but she has moved to somewhere she doesn't normally sit and she is just shaking and breathing fast, sitting stretched out.

Hi, it is my other bunny with the white wee, I only mentioned it to my vet in case it was any indication of something that both of them could have eaten making her ill. She won't eat or drink anything, I think i need to phone the vets again. She is usually a happy bunny, nosey, runs around, not very scared etc. I really find it hard to accept she is just stressed. I thought some time alone in her spot would calm her but she has moved to somewhere she doesn't normally sit and she is just shaking and breathing fast, sitting stretched out.

I'm sorry that Hazel is unwell :( I've only experienced bunnies who have been stressed after vet visits and that has improved after an hour or so. I think it would be wise to phone the vets again. What a terrible time for a bunny to be unwell :(

Sending Hazel loads of vibes.

It sounds as though she is in quite a bit of pain. I think it would be a good idea to call the Vet again x

I phoned the vets, while I waited for the vet to phone back, Hazel suddenly decided to get up and eat 2 dandelion leaves! The vet phoned and Hazel went hopping off to her litter tray. I appologised to the vet and said she might now be ok but the vet prescribed some loxicom and some of the recovery mix if i need it. She said it could be colic? Anyway, Hazel has been eating loads and her poos are normal good size, phew. She's running under my feet like her normal naughty self. I am so relieved but I will still be keeping a really close eye on her, I hated seeing her in so much pain or stress. I am not going to swap her rooms anymore in case this was stress induced.

I phoned the vets, while I waited for the vet to phone back, Hazel suddenly decided to get up and eat 2 dandelion leaves! The vet phoned and Hazel went hopping off to her litter tray. I appologised to the vet and said she might now be ok but the vet prescribed some loxicom and some of the recovery mix if i need it. She said it could be colic? Anyway, Hazel has been eating loads and her poos are normal good size, phew. She's running under my feet like her normal naughty self. I am so relieved but I will still be keeping a really close eye on her, I hated seeing her in so much pain or stress. I am not going to swap her rooms anymore in case this was stress induced.

I am so relieved that she is feeling better. I hope that she remains well now x

Wonderful news :love:

I am pleased she is seeming better. Rabbits don't like a lot of changes so I would give her plenty of time to settle down.

Jane mentioned pain and I agree. Pain can cause stress and hiding, and stress can impact digestion. I am glad Hazel has improved. It is good vet took x ray and you have meds and recovery food on hand during these difficult times.

Thanks everyone, Hazel is still doing well today, as if nothing happened. I'm going to give her one more dose of loxicom just in case. I spent about 5 hours sitting with her last night, she usually sits with me for a bit then does her own thing or flops somewhere nearby but she sat with me all the time apart from hopping off to the litter tray or for some food and water. We did a mix of me stroking her and her licking me to death. I even put my head down and fell to sleep stroking her, only to be woken by her licking my forehead. She is usually affectionate but was particularly yesterday, I think she wanted extra love after her ordeal. I'm keeping everything stress free for her, no swapping them over, no taking her outside etc, back to how it was before shadow came along. They can still see each other through the gate between the hallway and shadows room. I am confident that is ok as she seems to like seeing him rather than being stressed by him like she was originally. Now I just have to make sure shadow is happy too. He's outside with me now having a good old dig in the run.

Thanks everyone, Hazel is still doing well today, as if nothing happened. I'm going to give her one more dose of loxicom just in case. I spent about 5 hours sitting with her last night, she usually sits with me for a bit then does her own thing or flops somewhere nearby but she sat with me all the time apart from hopping off to the litter tray or for some food and water. We did a mix of me stroking her and her licking me to death. I even put my head down and fell to sleep stroking her, only to be woken by her licking my forehead. She is usually affectionate but was particularly yesterday, I think she wanted extra love after her ordeal. I'm keeping everything stress free for her, no swapping them over, no taking her outside etc, back to how it was before shadow came along. They can still see each other through the gate between the hallway and shadows room. I am confident that is ok as she seems to like seeing him rather than being stressed by him like she was originally. Now I just have to make sure shadow is happy too. He's outside with me now having a good old dig in the run.

I am glad that Hazel is doing so much better. I agree that avoiding stress is a good idea at the moment. I'd hold off any bonding attempts until after this current Covid 19 nightmare is over and Vet consultations are back to normal !

I am glad that Hazel is doing so much better. I agree that avoiding stress is a good idea at the moment. I'd hold off any bonding attempts until after this current Covid 19 nightmare is over and Vet consultations are back to normal !

Yes definitely going to wait, every time I have tried letting them together they fight straight away in a whirlwind. Lucky no serious damage on those occasions but I was already planning on taking things even slower and letting them get even more used to each other before any more attempts. Now with this happening I'm not sure if I want to ever try again in case it causes Hazel to have another of these episodes :-(

Yes definitely going to wait, every time I have tried letting them together they fight straight away in a whirlwind. Lucky no serious damage on those occasions but I was already planning on taking things even slower and letting them get even more used to each other before any more attempts. Now with this happening I'm not sure if I want to ever try again in case it causes Hazel to have another of these episodes :-(

Dont make any definitive decisions now. I'd just let them continue to live as neighbours and when the Covid 19 nightmare is over (which it surely has to be, eventually) you can look at what may be the best way to try to bond them. It may work out, you never know :)

Dont make any definitive decisions now. I'd just let them continue to live as neighbours and when the Covid 19 nightmare is over (which it surely has to be, eventually) you can look at what may be the best way to try to bond them. It may work out, you never know :)

I think you are right, that's probably a knee jerk reaction. They definitely seem to enjoy being near each other and I had done some successful smooches with them, I just couldn't let go and stop stroking them. So there have been lots of positive signs. A rescue that also does bonding boot camps had been giving me phone advice but they wanted me to try the stress bonding in the car to get them over the hurdle. I was very reluctant as I would worry a lot that they would get seriously injured and I wouldn't be able to stop it. With hazels episode I definitely do not want to go down any stress bonding routes. I have no opinion on whether it is a good option or not for some bunnies, but I am definitely not wanting to try it with mine after this scare. I had considered taking them to the bunny boot camp where they bond them in a week but it is a 4 hour drive so that would have been a lastg resort as the journey would be stressful for them. Now I know that won't be an option either as I am even more set against a stressful journey. I just wish I could find someone closer but I haven't found anyone yet. I will try looking again when things improve over the lockdown and meanwhile they will be seeing each other daily through the mesh on the gate anyway.

Hazel knows you helped her and is saying thank you. Plus she may like loxicam like most of my bunnies who begged when they saw the bottle.

I had something similar with both my rabbits last week. When the clocks went back they both stopped eating and one of them spent all day and night just huddled upstairs in his hutch. They didn’t want to eat or come over when I went out, they usually do.

Took them to the vet and they had painkillers, something to get guts moving and we had some food to syringe in.

A few days later they started eating again. Not loads like they used to but I’m not sure if it’s now partly the weather as well being hot.

My vet originally said it could be stress or something had scared them outside.

It wasn’t until one of them pooed a ball of fur that the vet thinks actually they had a blockage.

Maybe your bun is getting stressed from changing all the time as I read somewhere they like routine etc. Our two used to be together all the time then started having huge fights so they’ve been split. They can only play together when we are there to watch.

Back