• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not lying in flat relaxed position anymore...

dex179

Warren Scout
Hi all

I've noticed recently Dexter not lying in the relaxed flat position as much anymore (flat against floor, both hind legs sticking out, head down). Is this a sign of something? He does sleep but only in his usual sitting position.

I have also noticed recently the bit behind his head becoming a bit "bonier". I started to notice this more and more as I was giving him his injections..

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi all

I've noticed recently Dexter not lying in the relaxed flat position as much anymore (flat against floor, both hind legs sticking out, head down). Is this a sign of something? He does sleep but only in his usual sitting position.

I have also noticed recently the bit behind his head becoming a bit "bonier". I started to notice this more and more as I was giving him his injections..

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

It can be indicative of spinal/hip pain. Are you weighing him a couple of times a week ? If you think he is feeling more boney it is important to accurately monitor his weight. If he is losing muscle mass this can also be due to arthritic pain, amongst other things.

It can be indicative of spinal/hip pain. Are you weighing him a couple of times a week ? If you think he is feeling more boney it is important to accurately monitor his weight. If he is losing muscle mass this can also be due to arthritic pain, amongst other things.

No I haven't been weighing him...I will need to buy a scale

I am trying to get him some metacam prescribed from the vets...I tried this for a couple of days but not long enough to prove my theory that he does have a problem with arthritis/pain.

Going to be prescribed this either today or tomorrow, and will see if it does help (as he is also peeing a lot outside of his litter trays). If I do find evidence that it is helping him then the vets have said to then bring him in for further tests etc

Thank you

No I haven't been weighing him...I will need to buy a scale

I am trying to get him some metacam prescribed from the vets...I tried this for a couple of days but not long enough to prove my theory that he does have a problem with arthritis/pain.

Going to be prescribed this either today or tomorrow, and will see if it does help (as he is also peeing a lot outside of his litter trays). If I do find evidence that it is helping him then the vets have said to then bring him in for further tests etc

Thank you

I hope the Metacam does help. What sort of flooring is he on ? If he has a sore back then good traction on any flooring he hops on is important. For example an arthritic Rabbit may really struggle if they spend a lot of time hopping about on laminate flooring.

I hope the Metacam does help. What sort of flooring is he on ? If he has a sore back then good traction on any flooring he hops on is important. For example an arthritic Rabbit may really struggle if they spend a lot of time hopping about on laminate flooring.

His room has vinyl flooring but he's free to roam upstairs which is all carpet. However he is quite docile nowadays so doesn't run around much at all - unless he's hungry and can see me about to feed him!

Picking up metacam today so will see how it goes...however I am quite certain he needs an extra done to see what's going on...

Back