• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - fast breathing - ETA - Update post 32

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping well and safe at this troubling time.

I need some advice about Bluebell. She's 8 years old and has lived with her best friend for all her of life.

Over the past few days she's been breathing quicker. It seems to be the same no matter what, different temperatures, situations, when she's relaxed in her hutch, even when she's asleep.

She's eating and drinking as normal, and seems *mostly* herself. I have noticed she's not quite as excitable as normal when it comes to treats etc. Hard to monitor poops and peeps as she lives with her BFF and they don't react well to being separated so I don't want to do that unless necessary.

I know her really well so I instantly spot any difference in her, but I'm stumped as to what this could be.

Thinking of ringing the vets but that's another issue as she always reacts badly to going to the vets :cry:

Is there any common respiratory issue I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping well and safe at this troubling time.

I need some advice about Bluebell. She's 8 years old and has lived with her best friend for all her of life.

Over the past few days she's been breathing quicker. It seems to be the same no matter what, different temperatures, situations, when she's relaxed in her hutch, even when she's asleep.

She's eating and drinking as normal, and seems *mostly* herself. I have noticed she's not quite as excitable as normal when it comes to treats etc. Hard to monitor poops and peeps as she lives with her BFF and they don't react well to being separated so I don't want to do that unless necessary.

I know her really well so I instantly spot any difference in her, but I'm stumped as to what this could be.

Thinking of ringing the vets but that's another issue as she always reacts badly to going to the vets :cry:

Is there any common respiratory issue I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Hello

Increased respiratory rate can be indicative of a lower respiratory tract (lung) problem or a heart problem.

I assume that she is spayed ?

Yes she is spayed, sorry forgot to mention that. She was spayed when she was under 1 year old

We had a video call with the vet and he said he'd like to see her, so we're booked in at 6.30 pm

Morning guys - we went to the the vets at 6.30pm and they kept her in for xrays. We picked her up at 1.00 am. Diagnosis: pneumonia :cry: apparently it's treatable with antibiotics, if she responds. We're back home with antibiotics (2 weeks worth) and some pain relief. She's eating and snuggling with Bramble so fingers crossed she starts to improve over the coming days

Morning guys - we went to the the vets at 6.30pm and they kept her in for xrays. We picked her up at 1.00 am. Diagnosis: pneumonia :cry: apparently it's treatable with antibiotics, if she responds. We're back home with antibiotics (2 weeks worth) and some pain relief. She's eating and snuggling with Bramble so fingers crossed she starts to improve over the coming days

Oh bless her :cry: At least she is now on treatment and I really hope that she will respond to it. Sending her millions of vibes xx

Bluebell going downhill - waiting for vet call back :( - update POST 8

Hi guys

You can see my last thread here in respect of Blue - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?479460-Advice-please-fast-breathing-ETA-Update-post-11

Essentially she's an eight year old spayed female with pneumonia.

She's been at home since just after 1.00 am. She's very unhappy.

Has eaten half an apple this morning, put her on the grass and she had a small nibble followed by two dandelion leaves.

We've given her 2 small syringes of critical care that I had leftover from when Bramble was sick last.

Bramble is also now eating less as a result. This is so stressful.

Been to Pets at Home to get all her favourite foods, all the types of hay she loves and nothing yet....

Waiting for the vets to call back.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Hi guys

You can see my last thread here in respect of Blue - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?479460-Advice-please-fast-breathing-ETA-Update-post-11

Essentially she's an eight year old spayed female with pneumonia.

She's been at home since just after 1.00 am. She's very unhappy.

Has eaten half an apple this morning, put her on the grass and she had a small nibble followed by two dandelion leaves.

We've given her 2 small syringes of critical care that I had leftover from when Bramble was sick last.

Bramble is also now eating less as a result. This is so stressful.

Been to Pets at Home to get all her favourite foods, all the types of hay she loves and nothing yet....

Waiting for the vets to call back.

Will keep you posted.

Poor Bluebell :cry: I would be very careful with syringe feeding as a Rabbit with pneumonia is at higher risk of aspirating anything given orally. The fact that she is nibbling at some food is good news.

Could the Vets admit her for intensive care ? Being on Oxygen may help her. Sending lots more vibes xx

Back