• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips Teeth - update July

Update for everyone. Just noticed Pip's teeth have grown again and are almost sticking into her nose/upper lip. I knew I hadn't imagined it 5 weeks ago when we took her back, but they must have chipped over night or in the carrier!

I'm not sure if vets are still only seeing emergencies. Does anyone know?

Update for everyone. Just noticed Pip's teeth have grown again and are almost sticking into her nose/upper lip. I knew I hadn't imagined it 5 weeks ago when we took her back, but they must have chipped over night or in the carrier!

I'm not sure if vets are still only seeing emergencies. Does anyone know?

I think most vets are seeing cases now but SD in place. I hope she can be seen & she's ok. Of course it will depend on the practice so best call

I think most vets are seeing cases now but SD in place. I hope she can be seen & she's ok. Of course it will depend on the practice so best call
Thanks. I've give them a ring tomorrow morning. Their website says nothing has changed in their situation, so not sure. She seems fine at the moment. But I'm definitely concerned about having to take her every 5-6 weeks. [emoji24]

Thanks. I've give them a ring tomorrow morning. Their website says nothing has changed in their situation, so not sure. She seems fine at the moment. But I'm definitely concerned about having to take her every 5-6 weeks. [emoji24]

I think having the front teeth out is a lot less problematic than the cheek teeth. Hopefully it doesn't come to that

I think we will have to do that eventually. I'd like to try them being burred one more time. In case they magically re align. Buns are lovely creatures but such a worry too. [emoji24]

My late Dancer had her upper front teeth trimmed regularly. Vet did it without sedating her and it was a quick visit.

Thanks everyone. Pip is being her usual self and munching away on her food like a good bun even though she has huge lower incisors! They do look straight though, they aren't sticking out at odd angles, like you see pictures off. The vet said I can bring her in tomorrow first thing, which is good, I don't want to leave them to chip again. [emoji24]

Pip's at the vet waiting for her toothy pegs to be burred. Archie has eaten all her breakfast that she wouldn't eat, cos she spotted the carrier.

Pip's at the vet waiting for her toothy pegs to be burred. Archie has eaten all her breakfast that she wouldn't eat, cos she spotted the carrier.

Archie!! Maybe he's keeping his strength up so he can support her. Lots of vibes for the gorgeous glossy Pip - I hope her dental goes well

Pips home......yay. I can stop watching the clock! She's had her teeth burred whilst conscious and is home and munching away like normal. Thanks for the vibes everyone.

Vet said it's just her lower front teeth that are growing at a slight angle, only 3mm out. Is there anything we can do to help them re align food wise?

She currently gets

Unlimited ings hay
15g ish pellets
Dried leafy forage
Dandelion root as a treat.

Quick update for you on Pip's incisor teeth.

It's been 8 weeks since her last burr, so a little longer gap than the last 2 sessions. They aren't sticking out if her mouth, because they are only just misaligning.

However I think they are starting to cause discomfit, I think the bottom ones are starting to dig into the upper lip inside her mouth. It's very hard to see, but they are definitely too long and she has clearly got a underbite, so it will only get worse. [emoji24]

She's eating and running around like a loon, poops are normal, but she's was pulling fur from her leg earlier and I think that's her way of telling me she's not feeling right.

So she's booked in for Thursday to have some lovely dentistry work.

I have no idea how she's been pulling hay out of the rack, (see different post called silly question) she's very adaptive!

I can only think she's using her lower incisor and upper lip?

Or she somehow using the lower incisor to pin the hay against the outside of the upper incisor as it curves inwards slightly.

If I wasn't an obsessed bunny mummy, I recon a lot of people wouldn't notice there was an issue.

Just got to work out how to get her in the carrier on Thurs no she's free range.....this teeny buns are mighty fast and good at hiding. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

When I had unhandleable bunnies, I used to feed them in the carrier. So at pellet o’clock they went into the carrier every day :lol: at the vets was interesting to say the least :shock::lol:

I get mine into a smaller area (the playhouse) and lure them in with food. Aboleth used to have NONE of it, she knew what was up but couldn't resist hearing Lopsy eating so much and went nearby eventually so I shoved her in by her bum. Chibbs went in eventually today without shoving, I used willow as a treat :D If they're not in the playhouse when I want them to be (unusual as I tend to organise my vet appointments for late morning-early afternoon when sleepy) then we've 'trained' them to come in and sit on the windowsill for pellets. Lopsy's been with us almost six years and we've been doing that for five and he still hasn't really cottoned on XD He's too easily distracted :lol:

Yeah. Mine are smart little monkeys. They recognise the carrier and go into hiding mode. We have to take her in first thing[emoji848][emoji51]

Plan is lure them into the corner of the room with breakfast pellets. Then put the pen up around that corner so at least they are in a confined space.

Then get the carrier into this space and push them in. Pip now goes in quite willingly, but I think she enjoys vets visits. She is weird. Boob hates it. Last time he tried to climb up the metal pen. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow and getting them in the carrier!

Mine are free range too and I have to say the penning in method seems to be the best one I've found so far!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back