• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PTS advice - What would you do?

Ryiah

New Kit
Hi, we took our bunny to the vet this morning as she’d been heavily breathing since Sunday. The vet said she thinks she has a tumour and will need to be PTS asap :(

I’m in shock and in denial and phoned back and asked if there was other options, the vet was reluctant to do an xray because she thinks it might kill her. She then agreed to try an xray without GA which is happening this afternoon.

If they cant do an xray without GA, do we put her through the stress of GA when it might kill her? If she’s going to be PTS then maybe it’d be best to do an xray and if a tumour shows then we would know for sure it is the right thing and she’s PTS whilst under. But what if the xray is clear and it killed her, when she could've been treated!?

I just dont know how she can be suddenly PTS without further diagnosis? The vet said she cant compress her chest and her heart is muffled :( so definitely something not right...However she’s bright, alert and active! She did go off her food today, but she was eating some grapes just now.

I am so sorry you are in this position. I am afraid there is no straight forward answer but going off what you have told us, I would opt for the X-ay without GA which might give you the answer. If the X-ray doesn't show anything wrong then you will have to decide whether to have her PTS or take her home and monitor her. Thinking of you.

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. I'd opt for an xray without sedation if possible. Its not an area I've experience in but lots of well wishes for you & your bunny

Sadly we had to put her to sleep. She managed an xray unsedated and an ultrasound and showed there was a mass in her chest cavity, they suggested they could try antibiotics for 24 hours but prognosis was not good, so we made the heartbreaking decision. :cry: We had to wait in the carpark through it all due to corona, so we couldnt even spend her last moments with her. I hate the fact she was stressed and with strangers, but there was nothing else we could do. :cry:

Now i have to pick myself up and prepare for my daughters Birthday tomorrow! I’m a blubbering mess! Sadly she was our last rabbit and last pet, this is the first time our kids have had no pet. :(

Sadly we had to put her to sleep. She managed an xray unsedated and an ultrasound and showed there was a mass in her chest cavity, they suggested they could try antibiotics for 24 hours but prognosis was not good, so we made the heartbreaking decision. :cry: We had to wait in the carpark through it all due to corona, so we couldnt even spend her last moments with her. I hate the fact she was stressed and with strangers, but there was nothing else we could do. :cry:

Now i have to pick myself up and prepare for my daughters Birthday tomorrow! I’m a blubbering mess! Sadly she was our last rabbit and last pet, this is the first time our kids have had no pet. :(

I'm so sorry. I think you made the right decision. Sweet dreams lil bun. I hope your daughter still manages to enjoy her birthday

You could ask for bloods to be done as well - it might give some indication of her state of health. An x-ray would also be useful if it can be done without compromising her condition. It depends on what your vet thinks may show up, what treatment options may result from these, and how much it may cost you to find out.

What is her quality of life like? Is she still eating / drinking / weeing / pooing / moving around as normal?
Is she putting her nose right up into the air to breathe, or going blue round the mouth? Or is her breathing just heavier than normal?
Heavy breathing can be caused by many things - heart failure causing fluid build up, infection, etc. Did the vet feel a tumour? Was any other option / treatment discussed?

You have done the right thing by noticing the condition and taking her to a vet. This is a serious condition for a rabbit. Only you and the vet can determine how it is affecting her quality of life, and what actions should be considered. Personally, if she seems to be coping reasonably well, I would want more answers, and my vet would be willing to talk through various options and outcomes with me.

If she is distressed by her situation and / or it is affecting her daily activities, this needs to be sorted quickly - which may mean PTS to prevent further suffering.

I'm so sorry. I hope you gain some comfort knowing that you did absolutely the right thing for her. She was with people who cared and loved her to the end.

Thanks You so much everyone. We miss her so much!

If we do get other pets, we’re going to change our vet, as their first option always seems to PTS without further investigation. It was such a rushed decision yesterday - we brought her in and was told she would need PTS without any other options. I had to ask for an xray to be done!

After reading a bit more about thymoma, it can be treatable with radiation therapy or surgery - these options weren't even discussed with us. :(

Thanks again to you all x

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing your bunny was not alone in the end even though she was not with you which would be better for you both.
You did what was best for her knowing the heartache that would follow.

Back