• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit peeing outside litter trays

dex179

Warren Scout
Hi all

So recently Dex has been peeing outside his litter tray. Even if he is practically next to it. He'll do it outside of his cage, inside the cage while he's having a drink, etc...

What does this mean?

Do you think this is a tell-tale sign of arthritis? Or is my rabbit somehow trying to communicate some problem? As you know from another thread I posted, Dex has constant teeth issues and recently had a tooth abscess drained...

Thanks

I think you would have noticed if he had become arthritic by the way he moves, not hopping but more like walking. Does he have hay in the litter tray as this tends to encourage them to go in there. Unfortunately rabbits do wee in other places at times, maybe he is still getting over his abscess?

What type of litter tray is it? Is it high sided? A rabbit should be able to do a 360 degree turn in its litter tray and if this isn’t possible then the litter tray is too small and therefore the rabbit will be less willing to use it. Also as already mentioned, put hay in the litter tray if you haven’t done this already (half hay, half litter) as this encourages good litter habits.

I switched to a lower sided litter tray a while back, but I'm thinking maybe I just need to cut a big opening on the side so he doesn't have to hop on to the litter tray?

I put the litter at the bottom of a bed of hay. He's definitely peeing more outside his litter tray in the last 2/3 weeks.

I have had a rabbit boarder mention before that he looks like he has arthritis. He does hop about as usual but just more docile recently, which I have been thinking was down to his tooth abscess....

I switched to a lower sided litter tray a while back, but I'm thinking maybe I just need to cut a big opening on the side so he doesn't have to hop on to the litter tray?

I put the litter at the bottom of a bed of hay. He's definitely peeing more outside his litter tray in the last 2/3 weeks.

I have had a rabbit boarder mention before that he looks like he has arthritis. He does hop about as usual but just more docile recently, which I have been thinking was down to his tooth abscess....

How old is he? If you do think it is arthritis then I’d cut out an opening as you mentioned, but be aware that thing could make a mess and litter may be outside the litter tray more. Also I’d recommend getting him checked out by a vet if you can find one open right now as he may be put on metacam or other medication for pain relief if it is arthritis.

He's due a teeth clip over next few weeks so will mention it then as I believe it involves an X-ray. I do suspect it is arthritis.

His nails are quite long, especially his back feet. Can rabbits be in pain as a result?

He's due a teeth clip over next few weeks so will mention it then as I believe it involves an X-ray. I do suspect it is arthritis.

His nails are quite long, especially his back feet. Can rabbits be in pain as a result?

Yes, or pain can mean that they do not wear down their toenails evenly. Does he have sore hocks too ? Can you clip his toenails ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs&t=381s

Does he show actual hind leg weakness/instability ?

How can I tell if he has hind leg weakness/instability?

He's been peeing everywhere outside of his litter tray this morning and I've also had to clean his bottom as some of his pee has touched it. Not sure what's going on. I've got metacam at home...shall I just try giving him some to see if it would help for the next few days? Or shall I speak to a vet first? Don't really want to go to the vets as we go often enough and I don't want to stress him out further. Also, they'd probably want to do x-rays etc rather than just looking at it and saying that it's arthritis etc.

I'll have to check for the sore hocks but for now I don't think so.......

Yes, or pain can mean that they do not wear down their toenails evenly. Does he have sore hocks too ? Can you clip his toenails ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs&t=381s

Does he show actual hind leg weakness/instability ?

I am trying to clip his nails but it's hard on my own. Managed to clip a few on his hind legs this morning while I cleaned his bottom...will have to do this one at a time...

Clipped his front paws and I think they look ok....

How can I tell if he has hind leg weakness/instability?

He's been peeing everywhere outside of his litter tray this morning and I've also had to clean his bottom as some of his pee has touched it. Not sure what's going on. I've got metacam at home...shall I just try giving him some to see if it would help for the next few days? Or shall I speak to a vet first? Don't really want to go to the vets as we go often enough and I don't want to stress him out further. Also, they'd probably want to do x-rays etc rather than just looking at it and saying that it's arthritis etc.

I'll have to check for the sore hocks but for now I don't think so.......

I would give the Vet a call. At the moment all Vets are having to change how they conduct some consultations due to Covid 19. Face to face consultations being for Emergencies only and most Vets are not permitting Clients to enter the Surgery, the Pet has to be handed over outside. A telephone Consultation/Video Call in the first instance may lead to the Vet suggesting a trial of Metacam for a few days to see if it helps.

Hind leg weakness is quite obvious to see, the Rabbit struggles to hop effectively, they may stumble/fall over. They do find it hard to jump ( into a litter tray for example). There are various possible causes of hind leak weakness, arthritic pain being just one

https://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

I am sure that your Vet will want to help if you give him/her a call :)

Thank you, just spoke to vets and they said yes to trying Metacam for next few days....

It's been non stop cleaning up his pee and bottom!

Thanks all

I would give the Vet a call. At the moment all Vets are having to change how they conduct some consultations due to Covid 19. Face to face consultations being for Emergencies only and most Vets are not permitting Clients to enter the Surgery, the Pet has to be handed over outside. A telephone Consultation/Video Call in the first instance may lead to the Vet suggesting a trial of Metacam for a few days to see if it helps.

Hind leg weakness is quite obvious to see, the Rabbit struggles to hop effectively, they may stumble/fall over. They do find it hard to jump ( into a litter tray for example). There are various possible causes of hind leak weakness, arthritic pain being just one

https://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

I am sure that your Vet will want to help if you give him/her a call :)

He hasn't been stumbling or falling over. But I have noticed that he doesn't lie down flat as much?

He also makes more of a belching/grumbling sound - is that something I should be concerned with?

Back