• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bond - U/D with photos, bond starts tomorrow!!!

FireRose

Warren Scout
Hey all,

It’s been such a long time since I’ve been here and sadly have had a rabbit cross the rainbow bridge in that time too Harley sadly passed away January 10 2020

My remaining boy Bailey didn’t take it well, his behaviour changed so much with him getting aggressive and he seemed so upset, so as much as us humans wasn’t ready we knew he was for a new companion!

So anyway we’ve rescued a female - she is beautiful (I’m probably bias) but she was only spayed at the rescue on the 12th March, we brought her home that weekend

She’s healing well from her spay and has settled in nicely we’ve named her Willow, she’s in a large dog crate with a pen attached in the living room as Bailey is free roam. First few nights he was boxing the pen and growling but they’ve both settled down well.

They lay next to the pen to each other etc etc licking each other as much as they can (we’ve also meshed it)

The only thing now is she’s getting frustrated being in the pen, she does get free roam down the hallway and bedroom etc and we’ve shut bailey down there and let her out in the living room

But they’re both eager to get to each other - not in an aggressive manor just let me out let me in sort of attitude we’ve swapped toys, litter trays etc and bailey wasn’t even fussed when willow was having free roam scenting things he didn’t really seem fussed when he came back in, my question is(sorry it’s such a long post)

Is it too early to start bonding them? They seem ready but I am aware she was only spayed on the 12th - she’s estimated to be about 3/4ish so I’m aware there’s hormones etc but they both seem ready? I’m just wondering if to make the most of this quarantine malarkey?

Thanks for any advice I just want to know really is it too early for her hormones to off calmed down and how long should I be waiting if it is too early? X

Last edited:
It's just over 2 weeks post spay - has she had her stitches out? If so I would go ahead as you seem confident that they are both ready to be together, try to use a neutral space and if they get on well then you could increase the space. Good luck, I am sure they are going to be happy.

you won't get better bonding advice than from tonibun so I'll just say good luck & may we please have photos

Personally, I always wait 4 weeks after a neuter or spay to allow for hormones to fully calm down. Never had a bond fail doing it this way. Hope this helps x

Tonibun is pretty much the encyclopedia on bonding and she is pretty much always right.
Having just gone through a bond myself )opposite to yours), and having taken on board Tonibun's words of wisdom, I have two very contented bunnies.
I would advocate taking things very much as you feel and it may be that you have to do a slow bond in order to protect your doe as her wound may still perhaps be a little fresh still.
Good luck and yes - photos please. x

Hey :)

Yes just over 2 weeks, I was going to wait about 4 weeks so was going to try around the 9th but it seems silly to make them wait - my last bond was a bit of a drama as Harley was free roam and obviously very territorial

But I’m hopeful this time will be easier lol - she’s not had her stitches removed vet was happy to let them dissolve on their own, she has has a checkup a week post spay vet was very happy it is healing well and itnisnt ted etc and fur is starting to grow back

Gawd I really hope this is better than before as Harley sadly managed to bite bailey before we reached her and was constantly attacking through the bars

However bailey doesn’t seem fussed she’s there she has free roamed the living room scented everything, peed in his litter tray etc and he didn’t even go around chasing that scent if that makes sense? X

I’m really so very tempted if there’s been enough time passed

She’s back to the vets Thursday for her VHD2 jab so I could always ask for the stitches to be checked again then x

Personally, I always wait 4 weeks after a neuter or spay to allow for hormones to fully calm down. Never had a bond fail doing it this way. Hope this helps x

Yes see I was thinking the month too which would make that 9th April which isn’t too far away really it’s just she’s getting frustrated in the pen and he keeps eyeing the top (I’m thankful he’s a bit older now and won’t be able to jump it lol)

But they do seem very interested in each other in a good way and I am wondering if I am wasting time with them x

The more time she free-ranges on her own then the more she is going to become territorial, nothing to do with hormones really.

Well I still stand by the 4 week wait after neutering :thumb: If you need any help or support with bonding, then please feel free to pm me. Can't wait to see pics of your two! :love: x

The more time she free-ranges on her own then the more she is going to become territorial, nothing to do with hormones really.

Yeah she’s not free roam - sorry I was on about my previous two.

My boy (now) Bailey is free roam and Willow my rescue is in a large dog crate + pen in the living room so she’s not free roam they are accessible to each other for smelling etc it’s been meshed so they can’t bite or box each other but Webusbe let her out a couple times just to have a run around and get her use to his scent and him her :)

Well I still stand by the 4 week wait after neutering :thumb: If you need any help or support with bonding, then please feel free to pm me. Can't wait to see pics of your two! :love: x

Thank you I think I will probably wait till the 9th it’s not that long away and partner is arguing with me on it, so I think it’s easier if partner will be happy to do it too etc etc....

Thank you hopefully it will be easy and successful but I am prepared for it not to be lol

Going to try short small visits in neutral space and see how they go and hopefully extend time over the days this is how I’ve bonded before I know lots dont agree but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable just putting together and leaving lol

We are back from the vets today, her spay wound is healing well stitches will dissolve, vet is very happy with how well we’ve done in the short time we’ve had Willow, she’s even lost some weight

She is a larger breed and is 3.3Kg atm vet has said to try get her to around the 3KG mark although we’ve done well so far

We are starting bonding toMorrow so please wish us luck!

good luck with the bonding, I hope it goes well, I'm sure Bailey will be much happier.

New Bond U/D With Photo's - Bond starts tomorrow!!!

So this is a Willow my latest female rescue, she is a little over weight but we are working hard on helping her

g7f1iOg.jpg

n5EtCck.jpg

And then here is Bailey, we rescued him 4 years ago in June - He's probably had one too many treats to be honest but he did have a horrid life before us and I think since Harley (his last friend) died we over compensated with treats so he's also on a diet but shh don't tell him!

tVySHEh.jpg

8kVUZlL_d.jpg

So this is my two fluffy bums who I'm hoping will bond nice and easy and Bailey can be happy again :)

Last edited:
Back