• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead bald patch?

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Matt noticed a few days ago that Chibbs has what he describes as a bald patch. I've tried to get a picture of it: it looks like the fur between her shoulders is thinner and she doesn't have the underfluff she has elsewhere or that our non-lionhead rabbits have/have had in the same place. As we've never really had experience with lionheads before, is this normal? She's otherwise fine and normal for Chibbs :)

Co5BWpqvJWThw6iWTXIFy8KKxWqkpzt3ERrMWhupZfFiX2lHMDJJFZ6xNj3ZMscghzgjgfnYUP_4uSMG2byQD42ilLAFxI70EEntbE0dCcUABLbYU98e0OzGpKTouE_BJK6xxzjh23Ddlbh0b5SmQ-1XgyZYUfytyufvmeykQ1broJyVLgcq7L5VRocDkFyUaqf2kzk_SpSsz-5zhYFErSXjfOF-i3CEeY9Y8lWwkiEh-aFXSdJuwXv6jgED9Tce8yi_1T_q4nlDcjp1KkJ3SgMCbqwyZG24cTUTO0_k3YJLkewWjcOCEDiMa0PmRz1yl-w3eEHpXt17YwzbBXTpLxdy5yI_Lbt7VNPRnmLkCi6i7nkoTYTBr801rsq8nkEWkCw6Eh9K22LG55E54lojs67L6yqo8hIbpaf_bwl2nlPdWUj3fLseEYcrXcpwHzKi7r5nB2cn3nZYY_HID2_SICGe24Ywyp1X7LLGLWXjlr1-NET9KqMTpuzlMEuNriYmYxDT0Hwh2i5E1j2zIWlZHH85Vlj5c2XdVHq9LvVgk4j0GUJNLo_o6nh8PB5WpA99zq_k22YQ0J2jdUb5KaLswh6cG8vlOHksPb-W5GPCcsPym77VcyfvlSirbNLoCwmiMqHipvP5dP03u-qdgiczM5CCCaru3rZCKcfBPAVMc45ZksQh_dIiG-1naanqTA=w855-h641-no

(Google photos link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWsEhjXZTjCKeYuC6)

We've not got any explanation for this patch: Lopsy hasn't attacked her, mounted her (she's been the one doing the mounting ;P) or anything like that, and I don't think she's get caught anywhere that could cause such a patch.

It looks just the way her mane falls when she puts her head down. From the photo I cant see anything amiss :? Have you checked the area for any signs on dandruff which could indicate fur mites. Although I would be surprised if that were to be a problem x

Thanks Jane :) Yes, her skin seems fine although a bit dry (I've noticed Lopsy's goes a bit dry when he's moulting, so I assume it's the same thing as she's moulting a bit), but no scurf, flakes or anything indicative of dandruff. I couldn't see that it was weird except that it was unusual compared to non-lionheads! :) At least Matt lets me know when he thinks something might be up, so I can rely on him as an extra set of eyes/ears :)

We're wondering when her ear fur will grow back (from the catheter), although one bald ear is quite useful for spotting her as it turns out she's camouflaged in all the areas we have! She hides in plain sight XD I totally failed to see her sitting in the run the other day! That white paw and nose is really useful :)

Is it the bare patch between her ears rather than where the fur has parted on her neck that you are talking about? I don’t know what could have caused it I’m afraid.

Is it the bare patch between her ears rather than where the fur has parted on her neck that you are talking about? I don’t know what could have caused it I’m afraid.
No, between her shoulderblades: one of her ears is bald where she had a catheter but that's all. It is just an odd parting, isn't it :)

Could Lopsy be over grooming her ?
Very unlikely! He's never treated his girls very well, he might be bottom bun in the pile but he gets lots of grooming XD I think he grooms Chibbs once a day and briefly at most; Aboleth got the same treatment, she was lucky is she got groomed more than 1min a week!

Back